Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 04:06 PM

145 posts, read 284,738 times

Advertisements

Hello

I would like to learn Spanish. Aside from living abroad for a good while where that is all they speak, what is the best way to learn the language? Do any of you have any recommendations for good reputable schools? Or am I indeed better off with Rosetta Stone? I've actually heard good things about the latter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 05:13 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Funny you should mention that. I just dug out a set of VIRGINAL tapes for learning conversational Spanish. Yeah, I'm gonna try.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:14 PM

Audio tapes or VHS lol??

Old 08-31-2012, 05:21 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Audio...
Yeah, I still have a couple players.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:22 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djones748 View Post
Audio tapes or VHS lol??
If you really want to learn Spanish, listen to courses and the radio, watch TV in Spanish and move to a neighborhood where you can practice. There are so many Spanish-speaking people here, you don't have to go far to practice.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
If you really want to learn Spanish, listen to courses and the radio, watch TV in Spanish and move to a neighborhood where you can practice. There are so many Spanish-speaking people here, you don't have to go far to practice.

Indeed. I absolutely realize that. However I very much need some instruction on the basics before jumping into trying to understand tv or radio or people conversing with me. I mean, I know a little. But I feel that I need to know more than that before beginning to understand fluent spanish.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djones748 View Post
Indeed. I absolutely realize that. However I very much need some instruction on the basics before jumping into trying to understand tv or radio or people conversing with me. I mean, I know a little. But I feel that I need to know more than that before beginning to understand fluent spanish.
I really got into learning languages in my 20s. I always bought a couse and studied grammar, vocabulary and then started listening to radio and watching TV - kind of passive, but I found that it really helped. Of course the most important thing is speaking, but you'll have to find a the right situation. A while ago I heard that there is some internet site where you can do a language exchange with another person (this person would be a native Spanish speaker who is trying to learn English). I'm not a huge fan of classes - you'd be surrounded by a lot of other people who speak Spanish poorly, you get very little time to speak and there's always someone who holds the class back.

Last edited by yodel; 08-31-2012 at 05:58 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I really got into learning languages in my 20s. I always bought a couse and studied grammar, vocabulary and then started listening to radio and watching TV - kind of passive, but I found that it really helped. Of course the most important thing is speaking, but you'll have to find a the right situation. A while ago I heard that there is some internet site where you can do a language exchange with another person (this person would be a native Spanish speaker who is trying to learn English). I'm not a huge fan of classes - you'd be surrounded by a lot of other people who speak Spanish poorly, you get very little time to speak and there's always someone who holds the class back.

Interesting point about the classes. I wish Rosetta Stone was a little cheaper, because people do swear by it. Although, classes are not necessarily any cheaper. The one better thing about classes is that there may be some girls there haha...

Old 08-31-2012, 06:08 PM

If you find a girlfriend who's a native speaker, then you're all set.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
If you find a girlfriend who's a native speaker, then you're all set.
The whole reason I bring this up is because I was just in Costa Rica solo for a week or so. As I said, I know a little and got around alright. And I actually did meet a girl from Madrid. We had fun, but it would have been much better had I been able to speak fluently. She had to speak english for the most part (which was hard for her) and I felt bad. This was an eye opener for me, and is inspiring me to learn. I really may take the plunge with Rosetta. Their free tutorial seems promising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City