Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 06:27 PM

544 posts, read 1,237,166 times

Advertisements

I'm in a temp apt until my original apt is finished w/ renovations. Moved here the first month and had problems with the neighbors next to me w/ the bass and music. Knocked on their door, left notes, contacted the office, and finally nypd. They stopped w/ the bass. this annoyance no longer hinders my child from sleeping in their bedroom next to this shared wall. music was on from morning to night, past 12:00 am sometimes 1:00 am. i'd go in her room 6 am and it'd be on. ridiculous. Constant bass , thumping, vibrating wall. She had to sleep w/ me in my room sometimes. This thankfully has stopped, although i'm sure im not their favorite.

Now recently, the upstairs plp are a constant nuisance. No one ever sleeps up there. family of three w/ a one year or maybe two year baby? constant running, thumping, dropping things. same layout. i'm in bed and stuff is being dropped over my head. The noise is constant, but specifically from about 11:30 pm - 2 :00 am. Weekends.. forget about it. The past two weeks i knocked once, no answer. Someone was in there washing dishes. Following week i knocked, he spoke w/ me through the door. I explained i was the downstairs neighbor and to please cut out the running. The hours are really inconsiderate, not in those words, but i think he got the jist of it. He told me i must have the wrong person , i walked away.

Last night 8 pm in bed, same crap. booom boom boom, non stop. I go up there and knock, a lady opens the door w/ a little baby in front of her. I once again explain the running and peep behind her.. no carpet whatsover, just really nice hardwood floors. She seems ok w/ it. I leave.

This evening i'm relaxing in my apt. get a knock , not dressed, not expecting anyone. It's the husband impatiently knocking telling me 'we just wanna talk to you", umm i'm getting dressed, i have no reason to be scared to open the door. I open the door and he proceeds to tell me i've knocked on his door three times already and that i'm harassing him. He tells me HIS upstairs neighbors do the same thing w/ the noise above him and he doesn't do anything. I"m like ok? and your ok with this? why don't you go upstairs? he tells me it's the structure of the building and he points to his kid like she's the one making the noise. I'm like ok, but the constant running is ridiculous especially at the times it happens. He tells me to not knock on his door anymore and he'd prefer if i go to the management office instead

I'm not understanding.. am i being taking advantage of because plp in this bldg see a single mother?am i not supposed to stand up for myself. I don't want to keep calling the office on neighbors, i think they will think I"M the problem and a nuisance.

What do i do? i'm here until my apt is done being renovated? They are so loud up there that my FLOORS down here shake. the noise never stops, when i wake up by 6 am, someone is already up there making noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 08:33 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,373 times
Tell him if the noise stops, you'll stop knocking on his door. What's he going to do? Go to the mgmt company- they won't do anything if youre temporary.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:45 PM

Default temp in this apt

I'm only here temporary until my own apt is finished. This bldg i'm in is run by the same management company who is renovating my old bldg. They've taken over a few bldgs on this block, so my neighbors and i are w/ the same mgmt company. Eventually everyone here in this bldg where i am temp will have to move also so their apts can be renovated. The thing that gets me upset is i talked to her yesterday and i guess she felt the need to bring her husband here? I'm alone w/ my daughter and i feel these plp including next door neighbors are taking advantage since they don't see a man here. I'm sure if i had a male figure standing behind me or knocking on their door , i wouldn't have the problems i do now. I never had these issues in my old bldg. counting down the days until i move back. i'm dealing right now w/ being on the first floor, both bedrooms facing the street. kids, parties on the sidewalks, cars blasting music. plp hanging out in front, across the street, especially in front of my bldg which. The lobby doors are right under my apt, specifically the bedrooms. No one outside goes inside their own apts until well after midnight including screaming children. I can't sleep. Then i have someone who has a stereo on constantly on in the back of the apt since i moved in. can't pinpoint it. To top it off, there is scaffolding under our bedroom window since renovations have started and kids pull down the fire escape to climb up on the scaffolding well into the night. I'm in a nightmare right now and just literally feel like crying. I'm really pissed at him for knocking on my door and talking to me in the hallway the way he did. I already have problems w/ the plp next door and i'm sure they heard every word. Now they are going to think I"M the problem. I really don't wanna call the office. I'm sure they are going to say i complain too much.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:49 PM

681 posts, read 1,671,181 times
Wow....I feel your pain. Just think of it this way, you're only there temporarily and one day soon you hopefully wont have to deal with it again.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:00 PM

it's just awkward. now i have two not one neighbor that i have had problems with. I'm not that type of person. Been in the same apt, same bldg for 12 yrs, no problems. Now this Hate the feeling of getting off the train and not wanting to come home. That's a very bad feeling.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:31 PM

243 posts, read 1,333,499 times
It's not you. It's them. You are right. I was in a similiar situation. Everybody has a different tolerance level for noise. Some people don't mind noisy neighbors. With the people next store blasting the radio you did the right thing involving the police. With the noise upstairs considering its an old building and the people have a kid running around , there isn't much you can do since they are not breaking any laws. They are just selfish SOB's who think that because they have a kid the rest of the world has to deal with it and if someone doesn't like it , too bad ... it's a kid. Their kid. Apparently your neighbor upstairs doesn't mind the noise above him so he feels you shouldn't mind his noise ... and again , how could you mind? It's noise that his sweet loveable kid is making and shouldn't you be happy and oh so overjoyed that him and his wife brought a sweet child into the world. How could you mind the noise from 11pm to 2am. After all , it's just a kid running around. Deal with it. And smile ... Even if you had a man in your apartment , or were a man yourself , it wouldn't matter. I'm sure the guy knows if you or a guy punched his lights out he could sue the building management and get whoever assaulted him arrested and possibly legally tossed from the building. It's calculated risk taking and it's the reason why neighbors like yours have gotten away with their obnoxious behavior , and why we have road rage , and general rudeness amongst a large portion of the population. Nasty selfish people act the way they do because they know if someone gets fed up and goes after them , they have the law on THEIR side. So ... best advice ... soon you will be going back to your apartment. Until then if you need to , deal directly with the building management and not your neighbor. Document everything. Tell the building management you are documenting everything. Use that term 'documenting' because it lets them know you are building a legal case. Get witnesses to come to your apartment and sign statements that the noise is unreasonable. Hopefully you will be back in your place soon. If you can , move somewhere where you live on the top floor with nobody above you. I made sure when I moved to insist on getting a top floor apartment and I don't have to deal with that nonsense anymore. Good luck to you , I understand what you are going through. Hopefully you will be out of there soon.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:36 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
The only way to get away from noisy neighbors is to not have any above you or next to you. So move to a house that you are the only one who lives in it or find a building where you can get the top floor apartment in the corner so you only have one neighbor with the same wall.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:47 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
where do you live?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-01-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
where do you live?
W176th by Jerome ave bx

Old 09-01-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotormanMike View Post
It's not you. It's them. You are right. I was in a similiar situation. Everybody has a different tolerance level for noise. Some people don't mind noisy neighbors. With the people next store blasting the radio you did the right thing involving the police. With the noise upstairs considering its an old building and the people have a kid running around , there isn't much you can do since they are not breaking any laws. They are just selfish SOB's who think that because they have a kid the rest of the world has to deal with it and if someone doesn't like it , too bad ... it's a kid. Their kid. Apparently your neighbor upstairs doesn't mind the noise above him so he feels you shouldn't mind his noise ... and again , how could you mind? It's noise that his sweet loveable kid is making and shouldn't you be happy and oh so overjoyed that him and his wife brought a sweet child into the world. How could you mind the noise from 11pm to 2am. After all , it's just a kid running around. Deal with it. And smile ... Even if you had a man in your apartment , or were a man yourself , it wouldn't matter. I'm sure the guy knows if you or a guy punched his lights out he could sue the building management and get whoever assaulted him arrested and possibly legally tossed from the building. It's calculated risk taking and it's the reason why neighbors like yours have gotten away with their obnoxious behavior , and why we have road rage , and general rudeness amongst a large portion of the population. Nasty selfish people act the way they do because they know if someone gets fed up and goes after them , they have the law on THEIR side. So ... best advice ... soon you will be going back to your apartment. Until then if you need to , deal directly with the building management and not your neighbor. Document everything. Tell the building management you are documenting everything. Use that term 'documenting' because it lets them know you are building a legal case. Get witnesses to come to your apartment and sign statements that the noise is unreasonable. Hopefully you will be back in your place soon. If you can , move somewhere where you live on the top floor with nobody above you. I made sure when I moved to insist on getting a top floor apartment and I don't have to deal with that nonsense anymore. Good luck to you , I understand what you are going through. Hopefully you will be out of there soon.
Thanks, but my original apt is not a top floor apt, i probably can ask for one if doesn't come back after renovations. Everyone is entitled to come back to their own apts. You should have seen him point to his daughter like, she's the one making the noise. I looked at him like ok... so control her. Why is she up at 2 am!!??? mind you i have to get up by 6. Someone gets home at around 11:30 pm and doesnt stop moving , banging, thumping and running until around 2 am. I figure it's the baby running around after that person. When i get up, the lights are on upstairs and someone is already up. Last week i banged on the ceiling with the broom and someone banged back with the same beat.

counting down the months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City