Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 10:17 AM

10 posts, read 15,321 times

Advertisements

What is the best advice you'd give to someone new to city living and new to NYC? Think someone from an average small town or suburb in other regions of the country. Someone who is eager to learn and adapt to their new environment but who doesn't innately know the many things you take for granted as common knowledge.

Safety tips? What does it mean to be street smart? How not to be a target?

Getting around. Advice for riding the subway? Or riding in a cab for people who have probably never taken a cab ride? How do you hail a cab, safety in one, tipping, etc.?

Elements of New York culture they may find new, confusing or even offensive but that are considered "normal" by natives? Communication, manners, ways of relating?

Things that they may do that would easily mark them as a tourist or newby or things that native New Yorkers find offensive in transplants?
Anything else you can think of that would be helpful in terms of what to do and what NOT to do.

What advice would you give them in regards to not only surviving but thriving in NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 10:36 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amomof4 View Post
What is the best advice you'd give to someone new to city living and new to NYC? Think someone from an average small town or suburb in other regions of the country. Someone who is eager to learn and adapt to their new environment but who doesn't innately know the many things you take for granted as common knowledge.

Safety tips? What does it mean to be street smart? How not to be a target?

Getting around. Advice for riding the subway? Or riding in a cab for people who have probably never taken a cab ride? How do you hail a cab, safety in one, tipping, etc.?

Elements of New York culture they may find new, confusing or even offensive but that are considered "normal" by natives? Communication, manners, ways of relating?

Things that they may do that would easily mark them as a tourist or newby or things that native New Yorkers find offensive in transplants?
Anything else you can think of that would be helpful in terms of what to do and what NOT to do.

What advice would you give them in regards to not only surviving but thriving in NYC?
We (Native New Yorkers) are not that different... There are no special customs or ways of saying hello or ways of dressing, etc. There is no need to be timid of living in this city for fear of being out of touch with locals... This is the most diverse city in the world, there are plenty of people of all types living in this city, you will not be the exception...

Biggest thing to remember in this city, (and I speak for myself as well as the majority of Native New Yorkers that I've seen interact with people throughout the years)... ignore the stereotypes and be yourself... As long as you don't have the air of superiority that so many other transplants bring to this city, you will not encounter any problems... Second biggest thing to remember, unless you're into living in a high crime or relatively bad area... Ignore the labels "hip" "gentry" "up and coming" "pioneer" etc. these words are code-names for either horrible areas or shady areas... Despite what you hear, there are plenty of safe average working class areas in this city that won't cost you an insane amount...

While the COL is probably higher than where you are living... It may not be that much higher...
The standard rent circa 2012 for an apartment in a working class area (note since you are in the city, these areas will probably be much more diverse than where you are coming from)... doesn't mean the area is a bad one...

Your average working/middle class non-trendy area in practically every borough other than Manhattan...
Standard studio - 900-1200 a month
Standard 1-bedroom 1000-1400 a month
Standard 2-bedroom 1200-1600 a month
Standard 3-bedroom 1400-2000 a month

There are definitely deals you can find that may be less than this but on the average, this is what you will see... On my block, my next door neighbor pays 1100 for a 3-bedroom... Next to him, the owner asks for 1000 a month for a 3-bedroom (the tenant is an older woman however... in her 80s (very sweet person))

Point of it all being, try not to get suckered in by these ads that convince you moving into the hood is the only way of finding cheap rents... Look around, do research, and this site is always available for advice if you need it... Best of luck

Old 09-02-2012, 01:18 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
My best advice would be:
-buy some guidebooks
-subscribe to New York magazine and Time Out New York
-read at least one newspaper occasionally (personally, I'd suggest the Sunday New York Times)
-operate according to your own comfort level, which will probably change with time; if a place feels unsafe, don't walk there
-stop being so paranoid
-stop worrying about being a newbie; NYC is full of newbies

If you can't figure out how to hail a cab by watching other people on the street, you shouldn't move here.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:37 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Every Friday check mta.info | The Weekender to see which subway lines are going to be affected by track work throughout the weekend. If you get on the train on a Saturday or Sunday, you may find that the line you wanted to use has been re-routed.

If you're living in an outer borough (not Manhattan), find the name of a trustworthy car service to have on hand for getting to the airport or even getting home from the subway if you are arriving to your home subway station at a very late hour and you have more than a 5 minute walk. As far as I know, yellow cabs do not service any of the outer boroughs so that's why you need to find a good car service company.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:41 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post

Your average working/middle class non-trendy area in practically every borough other than Manhattan...
Standard studio - 900-1200 a month
Standard 1-bedroom 1000-1400 a month
Standard 2-bedroom 1200-1600 a month
Standard 3-bedroom 1400-2000 a month
Can you provide a few names for the above areas? Is Astoria one of those areas?

Thanks,
Ron

Last edited by Ron.; 09-02-2012 at 01:53 PM..

Old 09-02-2012, 02:01 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times
Be honest about what it is you want most when it comes to living situations and how much you are willing to sacrifice to live in a specific neighborhood. If you're willing to compromise your sense of safety to live near Manhattan or in hopes that a hood will gentrify, say it! If you wanna pay a higher amount of rent to live that high NYC lifestyle you see on TV, admit it! If you're willing to live in a small apt with other roommates, so you can live in a trendy neighborhood with an ideal NYC lifestyle, just say it!

I think the biggest problem, aside from not doing their homework on NYC boroughs and neighborhoods, is that they're not honest about what it is they're looking to get out of NYC and what their highest priority is.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:17 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Can you provide a few names for the above areas? Is Astoria one of those areas?

Thanks,
Ron
There's too many bro... That's what bothers me about people though... They assume they're getting a steal at 1000 bucks for a studio in Bushwick when they could find the same thing in countless other areas in decent affordable areas Queens, Bronx or Staten Island...

Just search my previous posts... on safest/most dangerous places in Brooklyn? look at post 74... The diverse areas I mentioned in Queens for that person are all areas where the above applies...

Old 09-02-2012, 09:55 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
There's too many bro... That's what bothers me about people though... They assume they're getting a steal at 1000 bucks for a studio in Bushwick when they could find the same thing in countless other areas in decent affordable areas Queens, Bronx or Staten Island...

Just search my previous posts... on safest/most dangerous places in Brooklyn? look at post 74... The diverse areas I mentioned in Queens for that person are all areas where the above applies...
Ahh, thanks.

I'll be looking into it.

Thanks,
Ron

Old 09-02-2012, 11:01 PM

32 posts, read 122,365 times
Stay far away from Bronx and Queens. Well, some parts of Queens are alright... but to me it gives off a 1940s feel to it.

Just be yourself really. I'm a local and honestly there's nothing to prepare you for other than terrible, aggressive driving. I think you're over-preparing yourself and trust me grabbing a cab is easy.

Subways are the main way for people in the city to travel.

Street smart? Don't look like a tourist. People will try to scam you, pickpocket you etc. Never put money or valuable materials in your pocket, buy a traveler's belt that you can put under your shirt.

Quote:
Depending on your accent, if you have a strong Southern or noticable accent you'll definitely stand out. Don't carry around a fancy camera and taking pictures all over the place. Don't buy tour tickets from the hop on, hop off bus. That's pretty much it. The best way to spot tourists is cameras and accents.

What not to do? Don't get into fights, ALWAYS signal because it pisses so many people off, never cut anyone off or else they'll get a fit, do NOT honk because there's a $350 fee in Manhattan.

You should probably specify where in the city you want to live. I'm sure this can be used everywhere but I'm thinking in terms of Manhattan.

Quote:
NYC is so diverse you'll never have to worry about that. I literally went to Little Italy and Chinatown in one block (Chinatown is HUGE and Little Italy is shrinking) and it really gives you an authentic feel. I was in China for a month and you can really have a China feel in Chinatown. The culture is diverse and vibrant. You'll fit in.

Offensive? Heh... eye of the beholder there. Contrary to popular belief, I've met a few nice people who are willing to help you out.

New Yorkers have the rap of being rude, loud and rushy. That may be true, but not all of us. The city (Manhattan) is VERY congested and something is always going on so people are mostly out to do their own things. The bigger the city, the "ruder" people may seem I guess.

Honestly, just relax! You'll do fine. Where in NYC are you thinking to move to? Manhattan will cost you a pretty buck. Oh and remember, not all of Manhattan is gorgeous. You have 100 something street by MOMA that is just very old, ghetto-looking. So take a look around and stay away from Far Rockaway, Rosedale, Bronx etc.

Good luck!

Old 09-03-2012, 12:20 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fai0607 View Post
Stay far away from Bronx and Queens. Well, some parts of Queens are alright... but to me it gives off a 1940s feel to it.

Just be yourself really. I'm a local and honestly there's nothing to prepare you for other than terrible, aggressive driving. I think you're over-preparing yourself and trust me grabbing a cab is easy.

Subways are the main way for people in the city to travel.

Street smart? Don't look like a tourist. People will try to scam you, pickpocket you etc. Never put money or valuable materials in your pocket, buy a traveler's belt that you can put under your shirt.

Depending on your accent, if you have a strong Southern or noticable accent you'll definitely stand out. Don't carry around a fancy camera and taking pictures all over the place. Don't buy tour tickets from the hop on, hop off bus. That's pretty much it. The best way to spot tourists is cameras and accents.

What not to do? Don't get into fights, ALWAYS signal because it pisses so many people off, never cut anyone off or else they'll get a fit, do NOT honk because there's a $350 fee in Manhattan.

You should probably specify where in the city you want to live. I'm sure this can be used everywhere but I'm thinking in terms of Manhattan.

NYC is so diverse you'll never have to worry about that. I literally went to Little Italy and Chinatown in one block (Chinatown is HUGE and Little Italy is shrinking) and it really gives you an authentic feel. I was in China for a month and you can really have a China feel in Chinatown. The culture is diverse and vibrant. You'll fit in.

Offensive? Heh... eye of the beholder there. Contrary to popular belief, I've met a few nice people who are willing to help you out.

New Yorkers have the rap of being rude, loud and rushy. That may be true, but not all of us. The city (Manhattan) is VERY congested and something is always going on so people are mostly out to do their own things. The bigger the city, the "ruder" people may seem I guess.

Honestly, just relax! You'll do fine. Where in NYC are you thinking to move to? Manhattan will cost you a pretty buck. Oh and remember, not all of Manhattan is gorgeous. You have 100 something street by MOMA that is just very old, ghetto-looking. So take a look around and stay away from Far Rockaway, Rosedale, Bronx etc.

Good luck!
Stay away from the Bronx lol. I hope Your a Mets fan like most outb of towners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City