Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 10:46 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times

Advertisements

Yeah I found an article that mentions what I was talking about:

"In one instance, Pinnacle allegedly recorded using 160 light bulbs, 75 pounds of grout, and 130 gallons of paint for the renovation of a single two-bedroom apartment in Harlem in order to justify raising that unit's rent to $1,900."

The Real Deal - Pinnacle Group: One big city landlord and many little headaches (http://www.therealdeal.net/issues/OCTOBER_2006/1159653168.php - broken link)

Obviously this stuff is nuts, but the rental market is tight enough that some of this stuff goes on in order for management company to make some $$$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 08:23 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,469 times
Default Check this out!

Hold everything....check out this link!

Renovated, rent stabilized apts in Brooklyn...

Flatbush Gardens Rental Apartments, Brooklyn NY - Homepage (broken link)

Old 10-22-2007, 03:22 PM

31 posts, read 384,069 times
I think they have to apply with the NYC Rent Guidelines Board and show proof of the work being done in order to get the increase. Tenants can also dispute the proposed increase, I know because people in my building have done it in the past (and lost, but the dispute was hard to prove).

Old 10-25-2007, 03:06 PM

70 posts, read 421,292 times
Well, a friend of mine was paying $950, and when the building was bought the new owner wanted to raise the rent w/out updating anything. When my friend comlained the board saw that she was already paying too much and ordered that the landlord pay her back in retrograde. SO they came to an agreement that she does not have to pay rent for 6 months. And the best part when she starts paying rent again it will only be $500. I know this sounds crazy, but a lot of the time i heard with rent stabilized apts. you have to check what the last person was paying- and if there was not much improvement and it was raised over 2% you can fight to have your rent cut back.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:16 PM

I wonder if after doing this though the owners/management company running the building would try to retaliate somehow. I'd be afraid of doing this if only because they could probably make your life really miserable if they wanted to. If it really was a $400 difference though, that might be worth looking into.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:34 AM

70 posts, read 421,292 times
Yeah the landlord gives my friend major attitude. But my friend is a tough New Yorker and gives it back to him. The thing is...tenants have more rights than owners. If the landlord did do anything she would be protected.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:56 PM

2 posts, read 18,484 times
Default Relocating

Me and my family are relocating back to the U.S. and we are trying to find an apartment in New York. Being overseas is proving to be more of a hindrance that realized. We're coming from Tokyo which now seems cheaper to live than New York.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 18,484 times
Can anybody suggest a "No Fee" agency in queens.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:08 PM

I don't know if I'd say cheaper. You can find cheaper apartments in nice neighborhoods in Japan, but the square footage is generally much smaller.

You also have all of those cheap restaurants in Japan where you can get noodles or something else for a couple of bucks. Around here a slize of pizza is $2.50, a bagel with cream cheese is about $2 and Chinese food usually sets you back about $5 for something small.

The selection and quality of life just seems higher in Japan. Transit is much nicer, little to no crime, lots of bargains to be found, clean streets.

In NYC if you want something nice you generally have to pay out the nose for it. Thats the unfortunate reality of the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky0618 View Post
Me and my family are relocating back to the U.S. and we are trying to find an apartment in New York. Being overseas is proving to be more of a hindrance that realized. We're coming from Tokyo which now seems cheaper to live than New York.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:24 AM

11 posts, read 20,387 times
I still have my rent-stabilized apartment in Chelsea, my rent is $930. I love walking to work, and going home to count a small amount of my fortune while I eat a delicious sandwiches for lunch. I've been here since '89 when the rent was $420. The neighborhood was a big dirty buttcrack back then, now I have banks and fancy Eurpoean restaurants beneath my apartment. Due to my fame the bank loans me money for free, and treat me to expensive dinners, with my favorite S' Cargo. I'm so, so classy, Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City