Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 02:32 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I agree. Pics or it didn't happen.
I love that line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 06:03 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
I am also looking to make a decision about moving to Cal or NY in a year. I know this is a broad question, but does somebody have the experience of living in both cities can tell me which city has nicer people?

I have heard it said that in New York they say Moderator cut: Inappropriate language you when they mean 'hello' and in LA they say 'hello' and they mean Moderator cut: Inappropriate language you.

That is it, basically

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-10-2012 at 08:58 PM..

Old 09-09-2012, 06:14 AM

24,118 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbliss View Post
I was planing to move to LA but now It seems like I will be moving to an apartment on manhattan instead. I was counting on palm-trees and waking up, doing yoga on the beach every day and now i cant do that.. Please tell me good things about NYC vs LA? I want to know how it is to live on manhattan/NYC.
I'd say that you lucked out! They have Yoga in NYC too BTW. Can't help you with the palm trees, but the Atlantic ocean has beautiful beaches also.

NYX is more intellectual and exciting than LA ever will be. Keep an open mind. You are about to enter the center of the universe, NYC.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:20 AM

24,118 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
You gotta be kidding me: LA, where everything shuts down at 2 am, has "better nightlife"???

So true! I lived there for about a year and I couldn't stand that. NYC by contrast is a 24/7 365 days kind of place. If it exists it's in NYC and most likely in it's best and most original form.

Except for palm trees. There are no palm trees. But flights to FLA are dirt cheap so if you need palm trees there you go.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:03 AM

88,572 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
do you have pics of this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I agree. Pics or it didn't happen.
All it took was a Google search on "Palm Trees Winter Garden". There are tons more.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/absolutwade/127289494/

Old 09-09-2012, 02:29 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,563 times
Default Can be stressful if you don't make good money

Quote:
Lol well you got me to feel much better about the decision. Although I was planning to live in santa monica close to the beach but It doesn't matter if it's not a nice beach..

My worry is that I'm going to become stressed living in such a fast moving city.. what do you do for fun on manhattan??

It will be stressful because of the crowds, noise, and pace of life especially if you're the type of person that had considered moving to LA. LA is much less stressful and less hectic than NYC. It's extremely expensive to live here and by that I mean really "live" and experience many of the things to do here; not just "work" 60+ hours a week. If you make a six figure salary you should do just fine. If you make a smaller salary your stress will increase in direct proportion to the type of lifestyle you were expecting but found out that you can't afford here. Fun in Manhattan: theatre shows, Central Park (strolling, hiking people watching, picnics, skating rink, zoo), museums, art galleries, authors discussing their books, beaches in Long Island/Brooklyn/Staten Island, clubs, bars, concerts, cabaret show, numerous street festivals, restaurants, rollerblading or running along the piers of the Hudson River in mid-town, stroll through the numerous neighborhoods in Manhattan, and mountains are 45-60 min car/bus ride north of NYC

BTW, I love LA! Wish I could get out there more often.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:49 PM

545 posts, read 908,678 times
Congrats on getting to live in Manhattan. There's no better place than NYC, it stretches your limits, keeps you alert and alive. I could never accept anything less.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:59 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,065 times
Not everyone likes raving all the time as acceptable night life. The New York bar and lounge scene is great, so I see no need to outdo LA on nightclubs, assuming that they actually are better.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-10-2012 at 08:59 PM..

Old 09-10-2012, 12:07 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
I wanted Manhatten but I got L.A.

In other words, I got New York if someone stepped on it and scraped it on the side of the beach..

But I was born here, so I gotta love my deformed flat city..

Old 09-10-2012, 12:17 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
I was planing to move to LA but now It seems like I will be moving to an apartment on manhattan instead. I was counting on palm-trees and waking up, doing yoga on the beach every day and now i cant do that.. Please tell me good things about NYC vs LA? I want to know how it is to live on manhattan/NYC.
Well other than weather which I'll give to LA (although other Cali cities/areas have better weather) nyc pretty much beats LA in every other category. NYC is just a much more interesting place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City