Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 07:53 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,810,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
HA! Just got a call from a very sweet lady from the Park House hotel who explained that we would have to plan on checking in before sundown on the 7th because it is Sukkoth. We'll plan on hitting the road at dawn that day. It's a Sunday , don't know if the traffic into NYC is better or worse than normal. Not the most welcome news, but she couldn't have been nicer. Daliowa, if we blow that check in deadline we'll sleep in the car two nights and get our food from the Strauss Bakery. Kidding, kidding. The adventure begins...
Uh oh, if it's a religious holiday that bakery will be closed also.

You would think that a hotel would have people on staff that can handle arrivals even on a religious holiday.

What if there's an issue after check-in? Will there be noone on duty to help you?

Personally, I'd choose another hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 07:57 PM

11,537 posts, read 12,560,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
See what I'm saying? Their religious rules trump all. It's not anti-Semitic to want to avoid subjecting yourself to their rules. Good luck, you'll need it.

Their "rules" are part of a relgious practice and in this country we do have freedom of religion. The OP has been informed and has made her choice. When I visit my Indian friends in their homes, I remove my shoes out of respect. I don't see any difference.

OP, it's not really like being in a foreign country. You will see all modes of dress in NYC, reflecting many different cultures. The Hassidim all speak fluent English and they are not like High Order Amish. They embrace technology. There are Hassidic sects and highly observant Jews living in Chicago too.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:51 AM

18,827 posts, read 13,715,156 times
Uhhh... That was my point. Except my view is to avoid subjecting myself to their rules, because I don't follow the religion they are 100% at liberty to follow.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:50 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,646,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Their "rules" are part of a relgious practice and in this country we do have freedom of religion. The OP has been informed and has made her choice. When I visit my Indian friends in their homes, I remove my shoes out of respect. I don't see any difference.

OP, it's not really like being in a foreign country. You will see all modes of dress in NYC, reflecting many different cultures. The Hassidim all speak fluent English and they are not like High Order Amish. They embrace technology. There are Hassidic sects and highly observant Jews living in Chicago too.
Thank you, Coney. You get it. Well said.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Uh oh, if it's a religious holiday that bakery will be closed also.

You would think that a hotel would have people on staff that can handle arrivals even on a religious holiday.

What if there's an issue after check-in? Will there be noone on duty to help you?

Personally, I'd choose another hotel.
Well, there is also the frightful possibility of having to eat breakfast in Manhattan on the Monday. I'll give you a full report.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:48 PM

11,537 posts, read 12,560,273 times
Just like many restaurants and salons, it's not uncommon for many bakeries to be closed on Mondays anyway.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:12 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,011,907 times
Since you're going at Sukkoth, you will be in for a visual surprise as you walk along the streets and see that people have built plywood dwellings on their balconies so they can live outside for that week. I was told this is why so many of the buildings have balconies (tiny and crappy but balconies nonetheless) -- so they can accommodate an outdoor dwelling when needed during this holiday

When I first walked around that neighborhood during that holiday, I was pretty shocked. It's not that it was intrinsically shocking, it's just I wasn't expecting it and had never seen anything like it before, and hadn't done my research to know that I might happen upon something like this in the middle of Brooklyn (was a newbie).

Here is a link to some sukkoth dwellings in Williamsburg.
Sukkahs of East Williamsburg | SITU BLOG

http://f.hypotheses.org/wp-content/b...via-FlickR.jpg

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/jO...6a61b770b.jpeg

Old 09-07-2012, 11:15 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,011,907 times
Also, are you sure you will be able to use the tvs and wireless internet during the Sabbath?

Old 09-13-2012, 11:30 AM

Great information, Henna , and I will ask. I know they're sending us out for breakfast on both Monday and Tuesday.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:33 PM

Well, I called and was assured the TV and internet will be working. That will be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City