Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2007, 04:34 PM

2 posts, read 9,474 times

Advertisements

I am looking for an apartment in the Brooklyn area because I will be working in Manhattan on 5th ave. I researched crown heights becuase I found an apartment there. I am a single white female and the only information I got on crown heights involved a riot between black and jews. is this safe to be or is there still racial tension?

I cant afford anything more than 1000 a month. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 07:05 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
Crown Heights is bad. A couple months ago there was a carjacking that turned into a car chase, the 'thugs' shot out the vehicle window hitting a 23 year old NYPD officer in the nose and mouth and hitting another in the vest and arm. I wouldn't recommend Crown Heights. DUMBO seems to be a great investment neighborhood, though.

You should look at the Upper East or West Side. You may be able to find a decent studio apt. there.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:18 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,883 times
Check the link provided under the thread on rent stabilized apts. If you don't mind a roommate, a share might be cheaper overall.

I don't think that Dumbo in Brooklyn, and the Upper East Side or Upper West Side of Manhattan (unless you're talking Harlem, Washington Heights, and Inwood, which are also considered iffy by many and none too cheap these days) would be too affordable to you in that price range.

If I'm wrong, perhaps someone else could offer an example of a 1000/month apt now for rent in those nicer areas as evidence.

Do a real estate websearch on NY Times, NY Daily News, NY Post etc to get an idea of rental prices in the five boroughs. The "nicer," "safer" areas will be pricier.

Actually, I recently came across a website that lists some nice looking, reasonable apts in various boroughs, as well as New Jersey. You might be able to find a nice apt for maybe 950 or 1000 and up. DM me if you want the link--I think I have it bookmarked somewhere.

As I say, you might consider other boroughs or maybe even closer areas in New Jersey as well. Where on Fifth Avenue will you be working? It may be an important factor in terms of commuting options.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:19 AM

Also might try sublet.com.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:25 AM

PS--some safer areas of Brooklyn can be much more reasonable, but may be a longer commute. On another thread which you posted on today these Brooklyn areas were mentioned.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:27 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Yeah $1,000 is too low of a budget to find an apartment in any decent neighborhood, except maybe in some parts of the Bronx. I hope you are willing to live with a roommate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: