Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 12:40 PM

42 posts, read 67,723 times

Advertisements

What are the seasons really like in NYC? Are there still four distinct seasons or is more like winter and summer with a barely-existent fall and spring?

I wanted to move to NYC by October so I could enjoy the autumn season, but it looks like I might have to move in January instead. For someone from Southern California, will moving in January be a very harsh culture shock weather-wise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 12:43 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
yes, January-March are the worst months.

Just curious, why are you moving here from So Cal?

Old 09-05-2012, 02:35 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
December, January and February are the cruelest months. But every January, almost without fail, there is a "January thaw" which is a week or so in which the temperature spikes, sometimes going into the 60s. So who knows. You might luck out and move in when its warm and dry.

And yes, the four seasons here are pretty distinct. After winter (this past one was unusually mild however, with little snow), you will learn to revel in the spring before wiliting in the summer and reviving again in the fall before winter hits again.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:41 PM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
From mid-December to mid-February is usually the coldest (bitter cold) weather of NYC with a high probability of snow (although last winter there was very little snow).

As already mentioned there are definitely 4 distinct seasons which is quite different than Southern California.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:13 PM

42 posts, read 67,723 times
Thanks for the replies, guys!

Well, I'm glad to hear there are four distinct seasons though. What I was getting at was that some people have said it's basically just winter and summer there now, but you guys all seem to agree that autumn and spring -do- exist and do last for about three months each just like summer and winter?

Old 09-05-2012, 03:44 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
We absolutely have a distinctive autumn with fall foliage, crisp apples, golden days of sunshine with cool nights, along with pumpkin picking and activities at the vineyards just a few miles outside of the city. IMO, spring some years can be nonexistant or very brief. You start to see a glimmer of the warmer weather to come in March with longer days and some small changes in the flora, but it is still mostly a winter month. Bright green grass and real leaves on the trees, tulips sprouting, usually doesn't happen until May and then it can start feeling like summer-like by the end of the month or in June. The big diifference between our weather and CA weather is that we have humidity, we don't dress so much in layers, and there is no big drop in temperature at night like you have in CA where it can be 75 degrees during the day and 40 degrees at night. If it reaches 75 here during the day, then it may get down to 60 at night or it could be 30 degrees during the day and 18 degrees during the night but there is no huge 30 degree difference in temp between day and night unless there is some sort of front coming through. I would say that winter is more like late Nov.- March. By mid Sept. ocean swimming and hot sticky days are over for the year so I would say that is the start of fall.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:42 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Definitely four distinct seasons. I love autumn in NY. Winter can be rough sometimes. Other times it can be very mild - depends on the year!

Old 09-06-2012, 09:33 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Definitely four distinct seasons. I love autumn in NY. Winter can be rough sometimes. Other times it can be very mild - depends on the year!
I think spring & autumn/fall are best seasons of the year in NYC as there is are several mild (not too hot and not too cold) days during these seasons.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:31 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
I love having 4 distinct seasons. Summer is hot, yes, but there is so much to do in NYC at that time (free concerts, events, block parties, festivals etc). It's NYC at its best. Fall is beautiful, especially if you're in the park(s) or stroll through the Botanical Garden(s). Same goes for spring and all of the flowers sprouting up- it's gorgeous. But I love the winter snow! Fresh snowfall is so pretty! Is it cold? Yes. But for the most part you're inside when the weather is at its worst in the winter and because we have an excellent mass transit system, getting around in the snow is not a problem.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:27 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,617,206 times
Our autumn is the best. They write songs about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City