Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 08:57 AM

95 posts, read 259,665 times

Advertisements

Sir, this is a New York style pizza, it's slices are triangular in shape. The slices have the right amount of sauce and cheese along with crust. You can eat it open or fold it as I like to do. You dash a little bit of seasonings on it and its good to go!

The thing with pizza in NY is that there are way too many places making them, many restaurants have had to cut costs in order to remain competitive with these dollar slice spots and that's where the flavor goes out the window...but you'll be fine once you find that great spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 09:00 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
people tend to think the pizza they grew up with is the best pizza because it is what we know. I grew up on the east coast and more familiar with NY style pizza and enjoy it, though I think Chicago deep dish is the best overall, I personally hate California thin crust cause it falls apart when you are trying to eat it.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:07 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
"Pie" is mis-used. Many English words were awkwardly used by early immigrants learning the language as a result of keeping to a minimal practical set of common vocabulary. Pie, tart, flan (English usage, not hispanic), patty, pasty etc. all different. The closest a pizza pie ever comes to a pie, is when its a calzone. So although pizza pie has become accepted terminology, I wouldn't base a theory of NY pizza being invalid just on clumsy use of the word pie.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:09 AM

@bg7 , but then there are pies like pumpkin pie that are not covered atop sort of like a NY pizza 'pie' heh'

Old 09-07-2012, 09:12 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
Funny.

Looks like a pizza is supposed to be a pie. Hence, Chicago wins.
You do know that one of the general definitions of pie is a pastry or bread that's baked into a crust and TOPPED (or filled) with meat or fruit By definition, pies need not be stuffed.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:32 AM

824 posts, read 2,791,711 times
A note about the proliferation of pizza places named Ray's.

The first Ray's opened in 1959 at 27 Prince Street. It had a run of over 50 years, closing in 2011. I'm not familiar with it, as I never happened to eat there.

Perhaps the best known Ray's was the "Famous Ray's" ("The One & And Only Famous Ray's Of Greenwich Village") on the corner of 6th Avenue and 11th Street. It was one of the best pizzas I ever had. However, around 15 to 20 years ago the place was sold and while they retained the name, the pizza changed and no longer resembles the fantastic pizza you can read about in the newspaper clippings on the wall. It's a shame as it was probably my very favorite pizza, it was awesome.

I remember back in the 1960s and up to perhaps the early to mid 1970s the local pizza places were run by Italian immigrants, twirling the dough over their heads. But that started to change, and pretty much anybody would open a pizza place, and that's when I think things started to go a little downhill (generally speaking).

So there is still some great pizza out there, but chances are the typical NYC pizza place is just ok, nothing special.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:33 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewerCrawler View Post
@bg7 , but then there are pies like pumpkin pie that are not covered atop sort of like a NY pizza 'pie' heh'

yes, sweet pies need not have a covering crust, but they have the raised edge. (I'm not aware of sweet pizzas, though I suppose they might be out there)

Old 09-07-2012, 10:26 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewerCrawler View Post

Sir, this is a New York style pizza, it's slices are triangular in shape. The slices have the right amount of sauce and cheese along with crust. You can eat it open or fold it as I like to do. You dash a little bit of seasonings on it and its good to go!

The thing with pizza in NY is that there are way too many places making them, many restaurants have had to cut costs in order to remain competitive with these dollar slice spots and that's where the flavor goes out the window...but you'll be fine once you find that great spot.
That looks like an awful pizza.

Here's something more like it:

Old 09-07-2012, 10:32 AM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
A note about the proliferation of pizza places named Ray's.

The first Ray's opened in 1959 at 27 Prince Street. It had a run of over 50 years, closing in 2011. I'm not familiar with it, as I never happened to eat there.

Perhaps the best known Ray's was the "Famous Ray's" ("The One & And Only Famous Ray's Of Greenwich Village") on the corner of 6th Avenue and 11th Street. It was one of the best pizzas I ever had. However, around 15 to 20 years ago the place was sold and while they retained the name, the pizza changed and no longer resembles the fantastic pizza you can read about in the newspaper clippings on the wall. It's a shame as it was probably my very favorite pizza, it was awesome.

I remember back in the 1960s and up to perhaps the early to mid 1970s the local pizza places were run by Italian immigrants, twirling the dough over their heads. But that started to change, and pretty much anybody would open a pizza place, and that's when I think things started to go a little downhill (generally speaking).

So there is still some great pizza out there, but chances are the typical NYC pizza place is just ok, nothing special.
These places still do exist run by the children and grandchildren of Italian immigrants, but they are in the burbs and Staten Island, not Manhattan.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:59 AM

Gosh, this thread is making me crave pizza...thanks yall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
That looks like an awful pizza.

Here's something more like it:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City