Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 09:27 AM

14 posts, read 48,351 times

Advertisements

NYCHH-

My apartment has a different set up than yours and a little different from some of the studios I saw in 530. I have an entry hall that's about 8 x4, a main room that's about 15 x 17 and a separate full-size kitchen off the main room (and a bathroom). So I suppose that accounts for some of the difference in the size as the 550 studios I saw online all seem to have galley kitchens directly opposite the bath. The other studio lines I've seen in 530 all have the kitchen in a corner of the main room, as do most of the one and two bedroom apartments I've seen. I saw one that had high ceilings and was over 500 sf, but it was on the first floor in the back and faced the school yard - everything is a tradeoff!

But tell us, do you (or will you) get the free breakfast served in the 550 lobby test kitchen that I've read so much about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,436 times
I was notified in July 2013 of winning the lottery and quickly went to a meeting the following week. Based upon my updated qualifications, I did qualify for low income housing but I was number 619 out of a possible 121 for a one bedroom. It's been two months and I been patient. Should I call or stop in for an update? (I been tempted to but realize they must be inundated with silly phone calls.)

Does anyone have any updates? Curious what number applicant we are up to...

I read somewhere about Dec being their deadline so I assume everyone will be notified by Nov?

Just feel I'm in the dark and not sure if I am even still in the running......

Old 10-01-2013, 07:17 PM

7 posts, read 29,541 times
You might want to give them a call to follow up. My log # is in the 12,000's & the process has been moving along very fast for me. Try shooting your agent an email. If you want something you have to go after it.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:37 AM

107 posts, read 246,101 times
Not to sound racist but why there are so many Arabs in 530?

It seems like every men has got 5 women's and 10 kids getting in to 530.
Again, sorry if Im sound racist

Old 10-02-2013, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 4,310 times
Talking Apology accepted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nychh View Post
Not to sound racist but why there are so many Arabs in 530?

It seems like every men has got 5 women's and 10 kids getting in to 530.
Again, sorry if Im sound racist
I guess because they want what's best for their families. But, I guess thats an "American dream".

But if its an issue of violations to the terms of tenancy (too many people living in an apartment), I would
ask managment.

Since I am not Arab, maybe they'll make me an honorary member. My 3 kids and 1 & only wife would approve.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:14 PM

8 posts, read 24,459 times
Default I am still lacking info as to when apartment that I qualify for will be ready.

For those that have been approved and waiting for a unit to be ready to be shown. How often do you stay in contact with your agent at West 45 lottery. My agent has not been able to tell me what building I qualified for. She keeps responding that there aren't any units to show me that I qualified for. She has not been able to tell me what building I qualified for either. My log # is in the 1600's. Does that mean anything? Two weeks ago she reported that her supervisor was meeting with the developer to get more info about when units will be ready. I haven't heard back from her since. I don't want to pester her but I am now living with out a lease in my current apartment b/c I would not sign a new lease that would make me legally bound to my current apartment that I have to leave b/c it is too expensive.

Reading all of your emails assures me that the lottery was not a scam and that people actually did get an apartment and have even moved in. I keep wondering why my agent can not give me any more information so that I can start making plans for the move.

Does anyone have advice regarding how to figure out when an apartment that one qualifies for will be ready?

Old 10-03-2013, 09:47 PM

7 posts, read 29,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyr64 View Post
For those that have been approved and waiting for a unit to be ready to be shown. How often do you stay in contact with your agent at West 45 lottery. My agent has not been able to tell me what building I qualified for. She keeps responding that there aren't any units to show me that I qualified for. She has not been able to tell me what building I qualified for either. My log # is in the 1600's. Does that mean anything? Two weeks ago she reported that her supervisor was meeting with the developer to get more info about when units will be ready. I haven't heard back from her since. I don't want to pester her but I am now living with out a lease in my current apartment b/c I would not sign a new lease that would make me legally bound to my current apartment that I have to leave b/c it is too expensive.

Reading all of your emails assures me that the lottery was not a scam and that people actually did get an apartment and have even moved in. I keep wondering why my agent can not give me any more information so that I can start making plans for the move.

Does anyone have advice regarding how to figure out when an apartment that one qualifies for will be ready?
I stayed in contact with my agent quite often. We would speak (mainly email) several times a day or week. When information was requested from me, I pretty much provided the same day or next. From the sounds of things, there might not be any more units left in your income category or you might not qualify at all. Did your agent ever inform you what size apartment you qualified for? That's important. I was approved last month, and tried getting into 550 but no slots were available for my income category. All of the buildings with the exception of 511 are occupied with residents. People are moving in everyday. Contact your agent (some are better on email) and see where you stand. The least they can do is give you a yay or nay. Good luck.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 7,036 times
News to share. If you own real estate, you will be disqualified from the lottery. We were mis-informed about this when we applied...they even told us during an info session that owning real estate would not prevent anyone from qualifying for the apartment. Honestly, looking back, it makes total sense that a homeowner with real estate assets probably wouldn't "need" an affordable apartment. In our case, we own a studio the size of a closet and have an almost 2-year old son, so we need to move, are within the income guidelines and would have been happy to sell our place in order to move into a 2BR unit at West 45 Street.

Had we been correctly informed by the folks running the lottery that our coop ownership would have disqualified us, we would have sold our studio in fall 2012 (the apps were due in November 2012, if I recall) before our names were drawn for the lottery. Apparently, regardless of who said what back then, rules are rules so we were disqualified. The three of us are still living in our shoe box coop apartment and we are no longer on the lucky list of potential residents for West 45 Street. Good luck to the rest of you and if you are currently a homeowner, sell your space before your name gets picked!

Old 10-07-2013, 07:59 AM

107 posts, read 246,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bschoolbabe View Post
News to share. If you own real estate, you will be disqualified from the lottery. We were mis-informed about this when we applied...they even told us during an info session that owning real estate would not prevent anyone from qualifying for the apartment. Honestly, looking back, it makes total sense that a homeowner with real estate assets probably wouldn't "need" an affordable apartment. In our case, we own a studio the size of a closet and have an almost 2-year old son, so we need to move, are within the income guidelines and would have been happy to sell our place in order to move into a 2BR unit at West 45 Street.

Had we been correctly informed by the folks running the lottery that our coop ownership would have disqualified us, we would have sold our studio in fall 2012 (the apps were due in November 2012, if I recall) before our names were drawn for the lottery. Apparently, regardless of who said what back then, rules are rules so we were disqualified. The three of us are still living in our shoe box coop apartment and we are no longer on the lucky list of potential residents for West 45 Street. Good luck to the rest of you and if you are currently a homeowner, sell your space before your name gets picked!
Hello
Just a question, the coop ownership would have disqualified you or the lottery disqualified you

Old 10-08-2013, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,798 times
Hello ,
Quick question !
How were you contacted ? was it by mail or phone that you won the lottery .
I still haven't receive anything in the mail or a phone call saying I won or not .
Is there a person I can contact to ask about my status ?? Thank You
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery