Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:28 PM

5 posts, read 13,260 times

Advertisements

Pancakes55 & nkrt:

When exactly did you receive your acceptance letters?
And are you included in any of the percentages they stated they will consider first? (i.e. Community Board 4 Residents, Vision/Physical Impairments, City employees)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 11,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smjb View Post
My son had an interview last week for West 45. He lives in community board 4. He was asked to give them a money order for a credit check at the end of the interview, so I hope that's a good sign that the interview went fine. He hasn't heard anything since his interview last week, and he doesn't know what else is required of him if he passed the interview. I believe that they have already verified that he is income eligible. We're crossing our fingers that he gets selected to lease an apartment.
Hi Smjb,
First I'd like to thank you for the information you posted. It was very helpful. I just received a call telling me to expect a letter in the mail regarding my application. How long after your son submitted all of his documents did they schedule an interview? And we're there any home visits involved? I've heard lots of stories lol

Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 AM

8 posts, read 40,365 times
Nikkichin -

He was interviewed within about a week of submitting everything they asked for. So far, no home visit has been requested. I'll post any updates when I have them.

Good luck!

Old 04-01-2013, 09:41 PM

2 posts, read 11,028 times
Smjb-

Thank you so much for responding to my inquiry. Any additional updates will be greatly appreciated Good luck to your son.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:29 AM

10 posts, read 35,627 times
I have been interviewed 3 weeks ago. I live in community board 4. I asked to give them a money order for a credit check at the end of the interview,and they told me that someone will be in touch with me. They contacted me a week ago that my file is pending due to 1 missing document so I submited it the same day. I haven't heard anything yet...

Old 04-17-2013, 03:00 PM

14 posts, read 48,341 times
Hi. I was just informed that I have passed all the qualifications and that the management agency would be calling me about signing a lease. The move-in date is approximately June 1. I thought I would share my experience.

I currently live in Chelsea, so I was in the correct District when I applied. I sent in my application a few weeks before the closing of the lottery last year. About the second week in January I received a form letter telling me that I was ineligible as my income was too high. They were apparently misreading my application, so I appealed via e-mail. I was contacted almost immediately and asked to send in a number of items to show my eligibility (tax return, pay stubs, landlord and employment verfications, etc.) which I sent back by the end of January. I had in interview in mid-February which was essentially a chance for me to fill out some forms for NYHD and bring in more current pay stubs. It was very casual. In very early March the agent showed me five apartments in the middle section and I gave him my two top choices. A week later they asked for a money order to do a credit check. About two weeks later, the agent presented my file to the Developer and I was approved. I had to go back to the office and sign a few more forms for the City and then my file was sent to the City for approval. Yesterday, I heard that I had been approved.

The agent was incredibly kind and helpful and while I certainly had to supply a lot of paperwork, it wasn't onerous or nerve-wracking. If I can answer any more questions, please let me know.

P.S. While the building wasn't finished it is really quite nice. The common area in the halls are great and the fixtures, etc. are quite nice.

Good luck!

Old 04-17-2013, 08:06 PM

10 posts, read 35,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applicant View Post
Hi. I was just informed that I have passed all the qualifications and that the management agency would be calling me about signing a lease. The move-in date is approximately June 1. I thought I would share my experience.

I currently live in Chelsea, so I was in the correct District when I applied. I sent in my application a few weeks before the closing of the lottery last year. About the second week in January I received a form letter telling me that I was ineligible as my income was too high. They were apparently misreading my application, so I appealed via e-mail. I was contacted almost immediately and asked to send in a number of items to show my eligibility (tax return, pay stubs, landlord and employment verfications, etc.) which I sent back by the end of January. I had in interview in mid-February which was essentially a chance for me to fill out some forms for NYHD and bring in more current pay stubs. It was very casual. In very early March the agent showed me five apartments in the middle section and I gave him my two top choices. A week later they asked for a money order to do a credit check. About two weeks later, the agent presented my file to the Developer and I was approved. I had to go back to the office and sign a few more forms for the City and then my file was sent to the City for approval. Yesterday, I heard that I had been approved.

The agent was incredibly kind and helpful and while I certainly had to supply a lot of paperwork, it wasn't onerous or nerve-wracking. If I can answer any more questions, please let me know.

P.S. While the building wasn't finished it is really quite nice. The common area in the halls are great and the fixtures, etc. are quite nice.

Good luck!
Someone called me today an said that I was approved for a studio. They never showed me any apartment, they just said that someone will contact me next week with more info, maybe they will show me the apartment next week??

By the way, what size of apartment did you apply for? How was the apartment that you have seen? Did you have a home visit?
I have to say as well that the The agent were incredibly kind, and nice.

Congratulation to you :-)

Last edited by justme0007; 04-17-2013 at 08:20 PM..

Old 04-18-2013, 09:10 AM

14 posts, read 48,341 times
Justme007-

So I'm assuming that you've gone for your interview, had a credit check and had your information sent to both the Developer and the City. If so, that's great.

I thought the apartments were really nice. Great fixtures, standard - though very attractive kitchen cabinets, nice stainless appliances and a really attractive bathroom. The hallways are covered with a rough, dark brown fabric and lit by wall sconces. Laundry on three floors and storage units on the others. I only saw apartments in the 530 building, not the towers or the building built over the tracks.

The apartment is approximately 450 sf, one studio was over 500 sq. The one I was offered has a separate kitchen, though some lines have the kitchen as part of the main studio room. The bathrooms are large, particularly in the ones without separate kitchens.

Good luck. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:57 PM

8 posts, read 40,365 times
Applicant -

Thanks for all of the helpful information. Do you remember how long after you signed the forms for the city that you found out you were approved by the city? Just wondering how long that part takes.

Thank you

Old 04-18-2013, 03:12 PM

43 posts, read 76,704 times
Only in NYC do people have to fight each other and play in lottos to try and get "affordable housing" that still costs $2,000+ for a shoebox in the hood.

LOL just LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery