Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:43 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times

Advertisements

I want to know why we do not have this day ( 9/11) as a "National day of Mourning", yet we lost so many American citizens, and yet we all still go to work and carry on, as if mothing happened.

but yet we have "Martin Luther king day.....where only the black people have off..

please, I worked for a company where only the black people got off.
I am all for equality for everyone, but wasn't that a form of discriminization.
What if there was a holiday where only white people were off, yeah, that would go over really well...i can see that now................

yet we lost so many of out working class people, yet nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 08:48 AM

399 posts, read 705,154 times
I think if they did that then they would have to assign holidays for our lost troups, etc. I understand that this is a major event but so was Pearl Habor and we don't have a holiday for that. :-( I'm for more holidays. LOL.

I wonder where everyone was when they heard the news. I was at work, just got on the phone with my spouse and was told that a plane just went into a building not sure which one or why then saw the second plane hit. I was in shock and went upstairs to watch it on the bosses TV in his office. Seems like yesterday. I was in TN at the time and of course everything just seemed to stop that day! We worked through it and managed to keep composure. Glad it's in the past but it still feels like yesterday to me.

Time has flown fast. RIP all those who lost their lives on this day 11 years ago!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I want to know why we do not have this day ( 9/11) as a "National day of Mourning", yet we lost so many American citizens, and yet we all still go to work and carry on, as if mothing happened.

but yet we have "Martin Luther king day.....where only the black people have off..

please, I worked for a company where only the black people got off.
I am all for equality for everyone, but wasn't that a form of discriminization.
What if there was a holiday where only white people were off, yeah, that would go over really well...i can see that now................

Old 09-11-2012, 09:14 AM

676 posts, read 1,261,525 times
While I can understand why people want to observe it as a National Day of mourning, the logistics are tough. Are the firefighters, police and EMTs who responded that day going to have off for that day? What about the troops who have ended up being sent off to war? I think we all know the answer to those questions is no. Plus the finance field is often the last to observe holidays until the stock exchanges start observing them. So a lot of the office workers who lived through 9/11 would have to go to work.

Given those circumstances, I wouldn't feel right having a "National Day of Mourning" off from work when many of the people most directly affected by it have to work.

This morning, I wanted to punch the idiot who asked the bus driver if he could get off the bus before the scheduled stop right after it was announced over the radio that a moment of silence was being observed. What parts of "moment" and "silence" did he not understand? One of our fellow passengers was making the sign of the cross, so it was pretty obvious some people wanted to observe the moment of silence. I'm not saying he had to reflect or think about 9/11, but he could wait the extra minute to get off the bus/open his yap. And this was in midtown, so you think he'd realize some people may have wanted to observe the moment of silence.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:17 AM

255 posts, read 475,845 times
I just wish people would start calling the area the World Trade Center and not Ground Zero. That hasn't existed since construction of the new buildings and memorial began.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:26 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Glad so many people remember.

I'm a WTC survivor. In a couple of minutes, at 8:46, I will call my "escape-mate", the coworker with whom I was getting coffee when AA11 slammed into us and with whom I ran down the stairs. We became very close friends after that day.

Still miss my lost coworkers who didn't make it that day, always will.

Those of us who remember will see to it that it is never forgotten.

Thank goodness you and your escape-mate survived.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:31 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTA1992 View Post
I just wish people would start calling the area the World Trade Center and not Ground Zero. That hasn't existed since construction of the new buildings and memorial began.
It is where the event occurred. No matter what rises phoenix-like from the ashes, this will always be the NYC epicenter of the day's tragic events. It should always be referred to as Ground Zero so that newcomers, visitors, and future generations can better understand the nightmare that was 9/11. You would be sanitizing the site's history by eliminating that name.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:12 PM

460 posts, read 982,088 times
So much was lost that day and yet the years since have displayed moments of resilience. Not just material gains such as the building up of One WTC or the memorials that opened last year. We have a new generation of children that may not remember the darkest day in American history, whom we can teach the lessons learned from that fateful day about what is good and evil.

America got knocked down to the ground but we eventually got back up; the healing process is ongoing though and admit the emotional scars may never completely heal. It hasn't been easy but I truly believe the journey to get back up has been worthwhile.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:55 PM

255 posts, read 475,845 times
That term can be used in textbooks, yes. But when referring to the area when visiting, it should be called WTC or NEW WTC. Ground Zero was the debris field. The Pit was the hole that stayed silent until 2006. Now, it's the WTC.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:28 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I want to know why we do not have this day ( 9/11) as a "National day of Mourning", yet we lost so many American citizens, and yet we all still go to work and carry on, as if mothing happened...

Because the truth of the matter is, the destruction of the World Trade Center was only a major tragedy in New York City. Most of the rest of the country was secretly glad that New York is such an inviting target for terrorists. This way, they can focus on us, and people who live in places like North Dakota or Kentucky don't have to worry about being attacked.

A real terrorist organization would be targeting places at random, not famous landmarks. But as it is, large numbers of Americans don't have any particular use for our humble hometown, and aren't really bothered if something terrible happens here. A "National" day of mourning? Not by a longshot!

Old 09-18-2012, 11:24 AM

466 posts, read 901,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Because the truth of the matter is, the destruction of the World Trade Center was only a major tragedy in New York City. Most of the rest of the country was secretly glad that New York is such an inviting target for terrorists. This way, they can focus on us, and people who live in places like North Dakota or Kentucky don't have to worry about being attacked.

A real terrorist organization would be targeting places at random, not famous landmarks. But as it is, large numbers of Americans don't have any particular use for our humble hometown, and aren't really bothered if something terrible happens here. A "National" day of mourning? Not by a longshot!
You are very wrong about this. The tragedies on 9/11 happened in NYC, in DC, in Pennsylvania, and all over the nation. I distinctly remember watching in horror from a classroom in the high school of my small hometown in Arkansas. I didn't know it then, but one of the flight attendants on flight 11 had been born and raised in my hometown. Likewise, families and communities all around our nation lost loved ones in the attacks.

Consider what happened in the wake of the tragedies. Our country went to war, and people from all over the country made and continue to make immeasurable sacrifices in the effort to ensure that 9/11 never happens again.

It is remarkably ignorant and thoughtless--or perhaps just cynical--to say that 9/11 was only a tragedy in NYC, and that most Americans aren't bothered by what happened to the World Trade Center. I hope that you reconsider your thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City