Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2012, 12:37 PM

145 posts, read 289,427 times

Advertisements

I know I could have revived my last thread, but instead of having to refer everyone back to the comment that I want people to notice, I figured I'd simply start a new thread. You can locate my Original Thread here... New York City - Is $13,000 enough?

Alright, so what is the verdict? Although the thought of living in New York City fascinates me, I seriously do not think moving there with only $13,000 in my life's savings would be a smart idea. I kind of knew this all along, as I started that thread on a "what if" type scenario. I would like to personally thank everyone who gave me thoughts, suggestions, and a general idea of what to expect.

So what cities are still in the running for me? Out of the original 13 I had started threads for, I have now narrowed it down to 5. Cleveland, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Seattle. If anyone has any thoughts or information on these five cities please let me know. I will be starting "Revisited" threads in all 13 original locations and will be asking the same question on those as well, but there may be people in the NYC Area that could help also. Thank you once again for all of your help.

RatKing216
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 12:57 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,105 times
If you've truly got the desire to "make it here" which is needed for all who move here, then 13k is way more than enough. I had 500 bucks.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:59 PM

But without any specific job skill or college degree I still don't know if it would be a solid choice. Thank you for the reply though. I am glad it's working for you.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:25 PM

237 posts, read 482,545 times
If you're really fascinated by the NYC-area lifestyle, then I would say Philly, just because it's the closest and not a far trip to NYC for a weekend. I kind of consider both NYC and Philadelphia to be in the same "area" if that makes sense...

Old 09-08-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare727 View Post
If you're really fascinated by the NYC-area lifestyle, then I would say Philly, just because it's the closest and not a far trip to NYC for a weekend. I kind of consider both NYC and Philadelphia to be in the same "area" if that makes sense...
Amazingly enough Philadelphia could be considered a suburb of New York City as the entire area does connect with no breaking points at all.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:50 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare727 View Post
I think this is good advice for someone trying to work their way to NYC. I hear Philly is cheap and offers a decent city lifestyle. Heard it's kind scummy though, but then again, so are parts of NYC.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:04 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Philly's cheaper than NYC, but by no means cheap compared to the mid-west where this cat was coming from. Plus, there are a lot less job opportunities in Philly compared to NYC. Of course there are a lot less people so maybe it averages out.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:59 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
You can find an apartment in a safe part of Philly for 400-500$ , the trade is it will be a steep or hilly area far from the core. As for not going to college before you move to East Coast thats just stupid unless your planning on going into Transportation or be self employed...

Old 09-08-2012, 10:50 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
You can find an apartment in a safe part of Philly for 400-500$ , the trade is it will be a steep or hilly area far from the core. As for not going to college before you move to East Coast thats just stupid unless your planning on going into Transportation or be self employed...
Again, I'll repeat, take your money and your drive, invest in yourself!! You need a change? Then apply to colleges that will accept you, and move to the town that the colleg is in. THAT should satisfy your need for 'change'.

Your savings should get you settled, and 'financial aid' along with a partiime job should carry your tuition and living expenses. Especially, with dorm housing, or find off campus housing with roommate(s).

After you complete your degree, then you can go forth to a new city and life.

Of the cities on your list, I vote for Seattle, maybe you could find a job in a coffee house....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: