Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 02:58 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,520,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
I'd rather save my lard intake for a heavily marbled ribeye. That's just wasted artery space...

Although a slab of this on a piece of black bread with some spicy mustard and I'm ready to shout "URA!"

That's as lard-like as it gets.

Yea, but hot lard has its own delicious magic. Follow it up with the marbled steak, with metled butter, then drink some good red to cut it. Next day, go to the docs. for your annual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 03:08 PM

387 posts, read 677,799 times
Lugers is ok, I think it's more of a tourist attraction now. I have been lucky to dine at many diffrent steak houses.
The one that really sticks out in my mind lately is Del Friscos "double eagle" steak house. I really enjoyed it. located at 1221 6th ave.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:15 PM

520 posts, read 841,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
Lugers is ok, I think it's more of a tourist attraction now. I have been lucky to dine at many diffrent steak houses.
The one that really sticks out in my mind lately is Del Friscos "double eagle" steak house. I really enjoyed it. located at 1221 6th ave.
They have a Turtle Soup! How groovy is that? I haven't seen that on a menu in ages. Have you tried?

I'm still looking for a good Argentine steakhouse in the city. The last one I really enjoyed was La Portena in Jackson Heights, but that was a while ago. I do enjoy a nicely marinated skirt steak! Probably prefer that on regular basis over a meaty ribeye.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:18 PM

520 posts, read 841,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Yea, but hot lard has its own delicious magic. Follow it up with the marbled steak, with metled butter, then drink some good red to cut it. Next day, go to the docs. for your annual.
Melted butter on an expensive cut of meat is a double murder! And as far as the fat and sugar overdose, you forgot a generous glass of glenlivet on the rocks before or after this health-unconscious meal.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:19 PM
bg7

Yes Luger's has become a tourist attraction, and the temptation for such places is to become a cariacuture of themeselves. Fortunately, Luger's approach and quality have not changed. Just don't go for stuff that was never any good in the first place. There is one thing they do very well, and one should stick to that.

While there are many good steakhouses around, and a few excellent ones, the only steak I've had that equalled what I've had at Luger's is not in the US. (In case Entangled is reading, it is in The Americas!- South America to be more clear). I'll not get into a back n forth tho, Luger's is ok or Luger's is overrated or Luger's is just hype etc. etc. - go to any foody board and you'll find such a trail, its de rigueuer. When anything is good, it then becomes a badge of honor to knock it down.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:20 PM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
They have a Turtle Soup! How groovy is that? I haven't seen that on a menu in ages. Have you tried?

I'm still looking for a good Argentine steakhouse in the city. The last one I really enjoyed was La Portena in Jackson Heights, but that was a while ago. I do enjoy a nicely marinated skirt steak! Probably prefer that on regular basis over a meaty ribeye.

Aha! I see you're already on the trail of the country....

Old 09-10-2012, 04:50 PM

387 posts, read 677,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Yes Luger's has become a tourist attraction, and the temptation for such places is to become a cariacuture of themeselves. Fortunately, Luger's approach and quality have not changed. Just don't go for stuff that was never any good in the first place. There is one thing they do very well, and one should stick to that.

While there are many good steakhouses around, and a few excellent ones, the only steak I've had that equalled what I've had at Luger's is not in the US. (In case Entangled is reading, it is in The Americas!- South America to be more clear). I'll not get into a back n forth tho, Luger's is ok or Luger's is overrated or Luger's is just hype etc. etc. - go to any foody board and you'll find such a trail, its de rigueuer. When anything is good, it then becomes a badge of honor to knock it down.
Don't get me wrong, Luger's is still excellent. I'm not a fan of bacon wraped shrimp or scallops. I like to save the bacon for breakfast. I just want a steak grilled to prefection with some potatoes & a nice veggie. I'm a little picky with certain things. I don't like creamed anything. Garlic & oil is fine by me.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:09 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,226,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The best and only one to consider is Keens on W 36th St ! It's the quintessential NYC steakhouse experience.
Keens Steakhouse . . . Since 1885

F Luger's! Why go someplace for grumpy waiters?

Old 10-02-2012, 01:13 AM

142 posts, read 315,315 times
Benihanna's ! A bit expensive but worth it

Old 10-02-2012, 11:39 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,085,656 times
My wife and I were married in Manhattan last May, and took the wedding party to Knickerbocker's for the wedding dinner. The steaks were excellent, everyone was satisfied and the price was very reasonable. They also have live jazz performances on weekends (IIRC). We were married on a Wednesday, so I can't comment on the entertainment. I can say we will definitely be going back for our anniversary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City