Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:37 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times

Advertisements

Scanning NYC with the street view I've noticed the Kennedy's chain around town and wondered if they're any good. Apparently not so good. I'll avoid them when I'm up in NYC. Popeye's I like. KFC is so-so. Depends on the franchisee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 08:43 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Bareburger, served with waffles.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:46 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Better find a southerner who'll fry chicken for you at home. Good luck. Good southern food is hard to find in NYC.
I second this. Places like Amy Ruth's and Spoonbread are not good. I'd go to Popeye's before going to those places.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:17 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Years ago I played sax in a blues band and we occasionally got up to NYC (from DC) and played some of the clubs. One joint was the Delta 88 on 8th ave. Man, they served Southern soul food that was crushin'. I wonder if they're still going. Great joint.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:17 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
I've tried, but I've had three fiascoes so far. Where, oh where, should I go for good fried chicken?
Check out Hill County Chicken (A Fresh Fried Chicken Joint | Hill Country Chicken) Very good chicken and the pies are excellent.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:56 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
When you go to those hood joints you don't order the regular fried chicken - you order 6 or 9 piece hot wings with french fries - trust me.

However, that is not where you'll find the best fried chicken in NYC. And since both my wife and MIL are pros at making it, I don't know where to buy it at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Better find a southerner who'll fry chicken for you at home. Good luck. Good southern food is hard to find in NYC.
Bingo!

Fried chicken and soul food, in general, is like trying to find a place that makes good Itailian "gravy", few and far between, and the best place will be in somebody's kitchen!!

"Home food" like that rarely makes it in a commercial setting. Why pay for what you can, too often, get at home for 'free'; and, will always be scrutinized against "mama's" cooking.

Italian places make it, mostly because they serve 'fancier' fare, than 'at home' food, and often 'northern Itailian' vs southern/Sicililian (American Sicilian equals "gravy" and Sunday dinners).

Anybody have the chicken at Junior's in Brooklyn? They have a good black clientel, maybe good chicken too.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:59 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I passed a KENNEDY'S FRIED CHICKEN today and it would not have caught my eye except for an earlier post. It was near the Northeast corner of Cenntral Park...
Like between 110th and 111th and what must have been Fifth Ave?

Any good?

(But like the earlier post, there were 4 black thug-types glowering outside.)

You shoulda gone in.

A lot of those 'thug' types are on the 'down low', spending all that time locked up as they do.

They probably would have liked you, honey!

Akon - Smack That ft. Eminem - YouTube

/jcoltrane bad boy baad boyy!

Old 09-11-2012, 03:04 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
get ya girl to make you some.

buy some flour, vegetable oil and chicken.

season it up however you like and put it
in a frying pan. don't stop cooking it until
it smells done.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:30 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,263 times
Yes, it is worrying, because "mono" means "monkey" in Spanish. Fortunately, they didn't name it "perro+perro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Mono + mono, notwithstanding the worrying name, has good korean fried chicken.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:32 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,263 times
Ahem, someone forgot to take his anti-ranting medications today.

Voltaire once wrote: "I'm sorry this letter is so long. I didn't have time to compose a shorter one."

I actually find it charming that Kennedy tries to rip off KFC. Unfortunately, it simply doesn't taste as good as Colonel Sanders's products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Ditto!

Looking for "good" fried chicken, and you go to every CHAIN joint!!! Where the heck are you from where they don't have these same chain places???

Kenned Fried Chicken? What did you expect? It is a GHETTO joint, intended to compete and undersell KFC, when KFC had more outlets in the hood. It isn't a coincidence that they share the initials "KFC". You really need to be a more discerning consumer, and a bit more sensible about the environment you place yourself!!!!! I'm black, no stranger to the hood, and **I'm** NOT going into Kennedy Fried Chicken!!!

Why?

First, becaue the food is certain to be some low quality sht that *can* sell to the less than knowing, not much choice, ghetto people. Sorry to put it that way, but truth is truth.

Second, places that cater to the 'hood' crowd will certainly have hoods on the premises!!! So, what intelligence or that s/b non intelligence brings you to such a place?!

Blindly touristing the hood is a mistake and an unnecessary risk. Stupid. Just being real.

Btw, foregoing Sylvia's based upon rumor to go to places like KFC and other *chains* is simply silly!! Sylvia's may or may not be great, but it is certainly better than ANY chain food, and most absolutely better than Boston Market!! All those people and all the years Sylvia's has been serving all those people, says SOMETHING. Plus, you get food minus the glaring.

Anyway, I suggest you forego the hood, and try some of the soul food restaurants downtown. I won't reccommend because I haven't been to any in years! Though, I understand "The Pink Teacup" is still going, look it up.

Other than that, I very much reccommend Whole Foods Market, Columbus Circle, there you can get organic fried chicken (which is surprisingly tastily spiced) which is inately superior being organic. You can also get very good basic baked macaroni and cheese as well. To the disapproval dietwise of my GF, I pick up some most visits. The closet thing I can buy to Mom's cooking! As with most organic stuff, not cheap!

Anyway, aren't you the guy who was looking for good patties, and the best you had had was the frozen crap sold at the supermarket???

Man, WHERE are you from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City