Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 04:46 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,998 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a horrible tragedy. I would'nt be too quick to blame the cops this time, though I do think they've been a bit "trigger happy" in the past.

I think a large part of this problem is young and inexperienced officers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 05:23 PM

448 posts, read 685,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
It only takes the same fraction of a second for a skell to to shoot & kill a cop. I'd rather a cop be on the right side of that bullet anyday.

The NYPD did not cause this guys death.
Wait, so he didnt die from a NYPD bullet?

Oh ok.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:37 PM

681 posts, read 1,672,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post

I agree with you 100%

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-11-2012 at 09:47 AM..

Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 AM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
The NYPD doesn't teach officers to place their finger over the trigger when covering a target.

That said, this is one of those horrible, one-in-a-million incidents that unfortunately will happen every so often in the real world of policing densely packed cities with criminals willing to undertake activities such as these robbers did. The responding cops don't have super powers; they answer to reality. Days later, the mouths have the benefit of time, safety, and numerous camera angles. This cop will be back on the beat eventually, and rightfully so. Anyone who thinks this was a criminal act will always think cops' actions are criminal. Cest'La Vie.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:00 PM

573 posts, read 1,242,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Should the perps suffer a murder charge though? I mean they technically didn't do it. Is their another type of charge that could explain them cause this chain of reaction?
They may have been charged under the 'Felony Murder' rule - it's been a while but basically if criminals are committing a felony and an innocent person is caused to be killed, the criminals can be charged with felony murder. Not sure if the circumstances of this killing fit into the rule.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:37 AM

409 posts, read 497,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Not much detail to this story but it seems likely that the cop had his finger on the trigger or inside the trigger guard of his weapon. Unless he was in the process of actually firing a shot, his trigger finger should have been OUTSIDE the trigger guard, resting alongside the frame of the gun. Doesn't NYPD teach this?

I'd say they probably "do". But since they modified the Triggers to 12lbs, most cop ignore that bit of training just so they're could react quicker. I.E, finger on the trigger I can start pulling a .5 second earlier.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:25 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
If any cops are found to be ignoring the basic rules of firearms safety they should be severely disciplined.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:21 AM

916 posts, read 2,246,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronicCoward View Post
I'd say they probably "do". But since they modified the Triggers to 12lbs, most cop ignore that bit of training just so they're could react quicker. I.E, finger on the trigger I can start pulling a .5 second earlier.
So..... Trigger pull weight of 12 lbs meaning in order to fire a shot the shooter needs
to put atleast 12 lbs of force literally on the trigger with their finger? Or 12 lbs doesn't
really mean 12 lbs when it comes to gun trigger?

If you really need that much force to pull a trigger on the NYPD guns, no wonder the
NYPD are kind of lousy with their accuracy. How do you stay on the target when you
spend so much energy just pulling the trigger.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:27 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
It's a tradeoff. The heavier trigger pull reduces the chance of an unintended discharge but does make accuracy more difficult.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:45 AM

681 posts, read 1,672,122 times
The Glock triggers are nice...not too light, not too heavy.

The sig triggers on the other hand .....I'm not to sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City