Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 11:08 PM

8 posts, read 45,695 times

Advertisements

Hi,

After looking for a while, I finally found a nice 1 Bedroom Apartment on Thomas S Boyland in Ocean Hill between Hull and McDougal. I could've kept looking for a few more weeks to find maybe an EVEN nicer place but 1.) I didn't have the time and 2.) This apartment is really nice considering the rent they're asking.

Long story short, I've been doing my research on the area. I'm very big on living in a decent area. I dress nicely and am not a confrontational person; I keep to myself. I have a nice car so I want to be able to park my car and not wake up seeing that it's been broken into or left on bricks. I don't mind an area that is heavily populated by one demographic as long as I'm comfortable and I don't feel like I'm in the ghetto. I've been in a lot of heavily populated urban (african american) areas where the neighborhoods are still very safe and comfortable.

Ultimately, my question is...can anyone fill me in on Ocean Hill and put me at ease? I just got approved for this apartment and go to get my keys in a few days. I've done my research and I see so many people relating Ocean Hill with Brownsville (which I've been told by many of my friends to stay far from) but then people also relate Ocean Hill to BedStuy. Ultimately my question is, is Ocean Hill a good area? Can I walk to the train wearing a nice outfit talking on the phone without being bothered or jumped? Can I leave my car parked overnight without being worried about it? Will my neighbors be respectful, friendly people.? Is this community getting better as some are saying or is it just as bad as brownsville as others are saying? Does the future look good for Ocean Hill?

Appreciate the insight. .

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 12:14 AM

33,999 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahsArc View Post
Hi,

After looking for a while, I finally found a nice 1 Bedroom Apartment on Thomas S Boyland in Ocean Hill between Hull and McDougal. I could've kept looking for a few more weeks to find maybe an EVEN nicer place but 1.) I didn't have the time and 2.) This apartment is really nice considering the rent they're asking.

Long story short, I've been doing my research on the area. I'm very big on living in a decent area. I dress nicely and am not a confrontational person; I keep to myself. I have a nice car so I want to be able to park my car and not wake up seeing that it's been broken into or left on bricks. I don't mind an area that is heavily populated by one demographic as long as I'm comfortable and I don't feel like I'm in the ghetto. I've been in a lot of heavily populated urban (african american) areas where the neighborhoods are still very safe and comfortable.

Ultimately, my question is...can anyone fill me in on Ocean Hill and put me at ease? I just got approved for this apartment and go to get my keys in a few days. I've done my research and I see so many people relating Ocean Hill with Brownsville (which I've been told by many of my friends to stay far from) but then people also relate Ocean Hill to BedStuy. Ultimately my question is, is Ocean Hill a good area? Can I walk to the train wearing a nice outfit talking on the phone without being bothered or jumped? Can I leave my car parked overnight without being worried about it? Will my neighbors be respectful, friendly people.? Is this community getting better as some are saying or is it just as bad as brownsville as others are saying? Does the future look good for Ocean Hill?

Appreciate the insight. .

Thanks in advance!
Its the ghetto.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-06-2013, 12:15 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,124,889 times
It's the hood. The better parts of Bed-Stuy are further west than the part you'll be bordering. (Actually, I think you're actually in Bed-Stuy. I think Ocean Hill is south of Fulton Street).

Old 01-06-2013, 12:31 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,771,520 times
What type of rent are they asking for in the hood.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:10 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Ocean Hill along with Brownsville and East New York are the worst neighborhoods in Brooklyn and probably the worst neighborhoods in the city.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:35 AM

675 posts, read 1,255,782 times
Definitely improved in recent years but yes its still the hood

Old 01-06-2013, 07:48 AM

281 posts, read 1,237,224 times
Hull itself has one of the highest instances of felony calls in the entire city. Not worth any price IMO.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:15 PM

8 posts, read 45,695 times
Well I appreciate the honesty. I mean I guess I'll just have to live there and see for myself. No one really answered the quesitons I asked. LOL. I know it's the "hood" as some would say but to be honest it depends on who's calling it the "hood" because everyone's definite of hood is different. No one really told me if I will feel safe there or if I'll need to walk around with pepper spray and a bullet proof vest. (sarcasm).

When I went there to look at the apartment, it was a decent area. Across from my apartment were some nice row homes that were pretty well maintained. I didn't see a lot of riff raff going on. Didn't see anyone posted up outside of my apartment. And my apartment building was extremely clean and well maintained.

It seems like Ocean HIll is one of those areas that it's a hit or miss. One block may be fair and decent, but cross the street to another block and it's TOTALLY different.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:26 PM

151 posts, read 404,781 times
Quote:
Well I appreciate the honesty. I mean I guess I'll just have to live there and see for myself. No one really answered the quesitons I asked. LOL. I know it's the "hood" as some would say but to be honest it depends on who's calling it the "hood" because everyone's definite of hood is different. No one really told me if I will feel safe there or if I'll need to walk around with pepper spray and a bullet proof vest. (sarcasm).

When I went there to look at the apartment, it was a decent area. Across from my apartment were some nice row homes that were pretty well maintained. I didn't see a lot of riff raff going on. Didn't see anyone posted up outside of my apartment. And my apartment building was extremely clean and well maintained.

It seems like Ocean HIll is one of those areas that it's a hit or miss. One block may be fair and decent, but cross the street to another block and it's TOTALLY different.
Ok I don't know about you, but I wouldn't live anywhere that is defined as "the hood" by ANYONE'S definition.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:30 PM

33,999 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
No one really told me if I will feel safe there or if I'll need to walk around with pepper spray and a bullet proof vest. (sarcasm).
Well we can't answer that for you. Only you would know if you truly feel safe there or not. The whole "is this neighborhood safe" is highly subjective. Where I live, I'm 100% comfortable going to the store at 3 AM. Somebody else might not be. So we have 2 different opinions.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: