U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-12-2012, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 64,269 times
Default Fire Hydrant Distance and Parking Tickets

Do people in New York really park 15 feet from fire hydrants?

I did not know this rule until this morning

I rented a car, for the second time in NY, parked 5 feet from a fire hydrant thinking that was enough. When I went to the car at about 7 am this morning I had a parking ticket

To be honets, looking around I would have never figured out the 15 feet rule, in fact what I did I learned from New Yorkers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 09:46 AM

1,953 posts, read 1,796,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnb22019 View Post

I rented a car, for the second time in NY, parked 5 feet from a fire hydrant thinking that was enough. When I went to the car at about 7 am this morning I had a parking ticket

To be honets, looking around I would have never figured out the 15 feet rule, in fact what I did I learned from New Yorkers.

its always been 15 feet. Its in the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law and is for the WHOLE state.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:48 AM

15,239 posts, read 12,398,518 times
The traffic inspectors (meter maids or whatever title they use) are only too happy to give out tickets for any type of parking violation including parking too close to a fire hydrant.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:52 AM

12,066 posts, read 11,013,296 times
It is 15 feet, doesn't mean people do it.

But here's a handy trick if you are really anal like me.

I have a rope in the back seat of my car which is 15 feet long, I use it if necessary, don't laugh, it is better than getting a ticket.

If I am 12 feet I will chance it, as parking in Brooklyn is somewhat limited.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:08 AM

2,432 posts, read 1,275,186 times
if the sidewalk has "squares" my rule of thumb is 4 or more squares between you and hydrant is safe, less than three is highly risky, anything in between depends on how desperate i am

not an exact science especially since some sidewalks have different sized squares, but works for those of us who don't have rope/tape measure

as has been noted, the law is 15 but practice is less. however 5 is much much too little, even in the most crowded blocks of manhattan the ticket people won't cut slack for that ever

Old 09-12-2012, 10:48 AM

2,901 posts, read 4,387,319 times
Quote:

Well, the ticket is certaiinly justified!

Iif, for no other reason than your presumptive, perhaps arrogant, self-determination of "enough"!!! WHAT gave you the right, and WHAT causes you to determine "enough"? YOUR presumption put people in danger. If there was a fire, your presumptive action w/h inhibited the fire department from doing its job, preserving life and property.

You get that, right?

KNOWING what was "enough" is YOUR responsibilit as a driver in NYS! RESPONSIBILE action is certainly inherent in the law, the privledge of driving, and plain common sense.

If you did not KNOW what is "enough", you s/h erred on the side of caution, it is as simple as that.

Rather, what you chose to do was to act in YOUR convenience, disregarding public safety.

Is there something above you disagree with?

In NYC, what is an issue is in the public's effort and capability to determine 'visually' 15 feet. Visually, just how far is 15 feet?

I've been told a good way to gauge is to count the number of sidewalk 'squares'. I forget exactly. Perhaps someone knows, but 3 squares comes to mind. Presuming 3 to be correct (someone pls correct), then there s/b 3 sidewalk squares between the square containiing the hydrant and the square your rear bumper is in.

So, hydrant square, square, square, square, bumper square.

Now, does anyone know if 3 is the right number?

OP, just check that off as just another step in becoming a NYer. Upon getting a license and driving a car, it happens to every single native, at least once; and in fact a few times, before we actually get it.

As a Transplant, there's a great many more lessons to come....

Old 09-12-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

I have a rope in the back seat of my car which is 15 feet long, I use it if necessary, don't laugh, it is better than getting a ticket.

Thanks for that tip, I'll be using it!

I also suggest using your phone camera and taking a snapshot with the rope laid out between the car and the hydrant, as proof of compliance. Be sure the pic is dated and time stamped.

Good defense against overly agressive cops and metermaids.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:58 AM

1,471 posts, read 1,396,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

yes, LOL, but I'm sure you never get that type of parking ticket

Old 09-12-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Sadly where I parked there was nothing marked, no squares, no red around the hydrant, not those small poles you usually find by the sides of the hydrant, which for some reason I thought marked the area you could not park.
Where did you get this "red around the hydrant" and the "pole" thing? No such things ever existed in NYC. Are you attempting to *Transplant* some back home experience???

Quote:
In fact the hydrant doens't even have the front cover from where the water comes out.
Yeah, and....

Happens all the time in 'not great' neighborhoods.

Quote:
It may be just that I am mad becuase this was my first ticket ever but I think 15 feet from the hydrant is a waste of space, specially in a place like NYC where parking is so little and mostly expensive.
Theeerre you go again with the 'arrogance' and presumption.

You *think* 15 feet is some arbitrary number? Are you aware of the reason for the requirement? Have you even thought about the purpose?

Apparently, all you are concerned with is YOUR parking convenience.

If you can't afford to drive, then don't drive. Such is NYC. A car is a luxury and statement of status; and, always has been.

Unfortunately, you bought into the stupid Transplant mentality!! Thinking one doesn't need a car in NYC; AND, when you do you can just 'rent one'. Natives DON'T think like this!!!

Btw, if the hydrant thing is a real issue for your, then I suggest you attend your Community Board meetings, that's the best vehicle (pun intended) for moans and groans re neighborhood and city issues.

CAU - Find Your Community Board

Old 09-12-2012, 11:21 AM

895 posts, read 885,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post

Thanks for that tip, I'll be using it!

I also suggest using your phone camera and taking a snapshot with the rope laid out between the car and the hydrant, as proof of compliance. Be sure the pic is dated and time stamped.

Good defense against overly agressive cops and metermaids.
Someone might call 911 on you when they see a black guy with a long rope in hand "pretending" to
be measuring something on the street. You'll be in deep sheet when the cops show up and arrest
you for attempted kidnaping of the fire hydrant.

A square of sidewalk, typically 5' x 5' in size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City