U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-13-2012, 09:15 AM

210 posts, read 249,026 times

Advertisements

I live in an apartment, and i upgraded my verizon adsl service to fios triple play bundle. I currently have a cable coming into my apartment that used to be used for time warner cable service. Does verizon have to do anything special to install the fios in my apartment? Do i need landlord permission?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 09:25 AM

2,432 posts, read 1,401,647 times
when i had it installed in midtown, they actually had to go work on some of the main building wiring (not just in my apartment), and they permanently (i.e. i was supposed to leave it in place after i moved) installed the fiber modem device in one of my closets

fios comes in on a fiber line, not a cable (coaxial copper) line. so the one you have already coming into your apartment is not sufficient. depending on your layout, they may use some of the existing wiring to go from the fiber device to your little personal modem/router

however, they already had cleared things with the landlord, i didn't have to do anything in that way. install went smoothly, they supplied both the fiber device and the combo modem/router, i never had a problem in two years

Old 09-13-2012, 09:31 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,356,173 times
If FiOS can go into your building, the landlord knows about it already - there is no way they can do the preliminary wiring work in the basement and elevator rises without permission of the landlord.

Question for everyone here - the main phone line/jack in my apt is in an inconvenient location- the den which is in the corner - concerned about how difficult it would be to use FiOS and get the wireless signal around the whole place and the video signal to the TV in another room. Would this be a problem?

Old 09-13-2012, 09:41 AM

210 posts, read 249,026 times
If the fios equipment is already preinstalled in my building, do they run the cable from the basement to my apartment or does a cable have to be run from my building to the outside pole?

Old 09-14-2012, 08:21 AM

11,228 posts, read 10,865,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azspeedbullet View Post
If the fios equipment is already preinstalled in my building, do they run the cable from the basement to my apartment or does a cable have to be run from my building to the outside pole?
If it's presinstalled, there is already likely a junction box on your floor in a large building. That's the way it was with me.
Perhaps in a small building they would have to route from the basement.

I have my fiber (thin cable) connected to a small box called an ONT right atop the DVR box and a backup battery under the TV and next to the desk (with computer, router etc.). Battery is for phone in case of power outage.

You do not need landlord permission, he gave it when they did the inital install (and was likeply PAID a goodly sum by Verizon.) Just decide where to route the new fiber cable in...they will drill a hole. Mine is right next to the Time Warner input over the door...which is NOT where I would have put it, but it was there when I bought the place.
THINK HARD about the placement of everything, becasue once it's in it's IN. (I even said I wanted the cable to go THROUGH the radiato convector rather than aoround it so that everything stayed at floor level and they drilled the holes through.
I takes time though. Two TV's, computer, two phones in 2 rooms took 4 hours.
Hint: Watch them like hawks so they do what YOU want. If they try to put in an IMMENSE box, ask for the small one. If they give you a 7216 DVR ask for a 7232 (with 3 times the storage capacity, 500 Gb.)

Lordy, speedbulllet...I just put one and one together and realized I answered your question on the High Definition forum yesterday. Too funny...

Last edited by Kefir King; 09-14-2012 at 09:33 AM..

Old 09-14-2012, 02:09 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,673,789 times
When I had FIOS installed, the cable guy installed this huge box with blinking lights that is mounted to the wall. It's not a router or a set top box--though I have those as well. I'm not sure if they have to do that in every apartment, but I would check. Not sure if that's what called a "junction box" or if it is why it had to go in my apartment.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:50 AM

11,228 posts, read 10,865,463 times
barkomatic,

It depends...they can use a HUGE wall mounted box or a small table sitting one. It is called an ONT (Optical Network Terminal) which converts light pulses to electormagnetic waves and that typically goes inside the apartment. We have huge TERMINAL blocks on every second floor in the stairwell with connections and potential connections to about 2 dozen apartments each.
I THINK perlaps the difference between the big and dmall ONT's is that the BIG ones have the backup battery built in and the small one udes a separate battery outside the box???

The router, also with blinking lights, gets connected to this ONT with co-ax cable and distributes INTERNET for computer and certain TV functions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City