Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:34 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
That's how I felt about Los Angeles. I definitely believe it for San Francisco. SF charges NYC rents for unrenovated apartments and old appliances. Some apartments may or may not have REFRIGERATORS and people STILL pay $3,000 for a one bedroom. RIDICULOUS.

NYC for ME right now is a place to save some money, then leave. It's not horrible, but I want a "slower paced" environment.
San Francisco is on par with NYC for being expensive due to alot of young urbanites from the suburbs and elsewere who want to live there. Other cities have just as expensive rents like Parts of Portland, Seattle, Boston and DC. I would love to move to DC its urban but not big as NYC. Also note that these cities I have mentioned have huge Hipster and Yuppie Transplant scenes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 02:43 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
San Francisco is on par with NYC for being expensive due to alot of young urbanites from the suburbs and elsewere who want to live there. Other cities have just as expensive rents like Parts of Portland, Seattle, Boston and DC. I would love to move to DC its urban but not big as NYC. Also note that these cities I have mentioned have huge Hipster and Yuppie Transplant scenes.
Yeah, I understand that, but NYC at least renovate and give you new appliances before charging crazy rents.

I've read on the SF forum how people actually have roaches, mice, cracked walls and all this other madness, but yet they VOLUNTARILY paid $2500 to rent that hellhole. LOL!

Seattle has nice apartments that have been renovated or new buildings with up to date appliances. The rents aren't that crazy either. Don't know about Portland.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:55 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Yeah, I understand that, but NYC at least renovate and give you new appliances before charging crazy rents.

I've read on the SF forum how people actually have roaches, mice, cracked walls and all this other madness, but yet they VOLUNTARILY paid $2500 to rent that hellhole. LOL!

Seattle has nice apartments that have been renovated or new buildings with up to date appliances. The rents aren't that crazy either. Don't know about Portland.
Portland has a great stock of apartments and houses with much lower prices than Seattle.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:42 PM

55 posts, read 127,070 times
I moved here 18 years ago and would love to live here forever, but i might get priced out. For people tossing out "of course it's expensive" glibness, when I came here, NYC had many places where working & middle class could live. My neighborhood was fully functional, the fireman at the station could live down the street. Cops, teachers, plumbers, butchers, small business people. Not a hipster in sight. When searching for roommates, cool people hung up when they heard the subway stop. A year ago, I was priced out, and 28 yr olds buying $500K apartments with family money are crawling everywhere. All my neighbors had their real estate taxes jacked up and were pushed out too. To Queens, Staten Island, some gave up and moved out of the area altogether.

So, I don't want to leave, but...that may not be up to me.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:49 PM

146 posts, read 190,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggy520 View Post
I was born and raised in Staten Island and currently live in Brooklyn. I would love to stay here but it is just so expensive to live in Brooklyn. I watch HGTV all the time and it makes me sick to see these big houses 5 bedroom huge back yards for 175,000 in others states. My daughter just started high school as soon as she graduates we are out of here. Not bad mouthing NYC but it is just not affordable.
Diggy I feel the same way. My daughters graduating HS in two years and where outta here. Cant stand these NY winters anymore, headed down south Georgia or Florida. Hell its time for a change and im open arms for it.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicewray View Post
I moved here 18 years ago and would love to live here forever, but i might get priced out. For people tossing out "of course it's expensive" glibness, when I came here, NYC had many places where working & middle class could live. My neighborhood was fully functional, the fireman at the station could live down the street. Cops, teachers, plumbers, butchers, small business people. Not a hipster in sight. When searching for roommates, cool people hung up when they heard the subway stop. A year ago, I was priced out, and 28 yr olds buying $500K apartments with family money are crawling everywhere. All my neighbors had their real estate taxes jacked up and were pushed out too. To Queens, Staten Island, some gave up and moved out of the area altogether.

So, I don't want to leave, but...that may not be up to me.
I was born and raised here. I was able to afford an apartment in the east village for $650 back in the day near St. Marks Place. I loved that area, because it was so bohemian and everybody was "live and let live". You can dress the way you want and there was no "judgments" like in the close-minded boroughs.

I remember exactly HOW Manhattan became this expensive and the underhanded, evil things they did to people to get them out of their apartments. I'm not impressed with this "market rent" crap they made up to justify their insane rental prices just to keep out a certain demographic of people.

A grown adult making $80,000 or more a year should NOT need a GUARANTOR for them to rent an apartment. This is straight bullcrap, but it's the transplants who fall for this stupidity without questioning it. I heard that downtown Brooklyn is doing the same thing.

I'm just happy that this guarantor *ish is only relegated to Manhattan. Other cities do not require this and I doubt they ever will.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:33 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
You can dress the way you want and there was no "judgments" like in the close-minded boroughs. .
So judging is okay, as long as you reside in the village and its directed at people who don't. Gotcha.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
So judging is okay, as long as you reside in the village and its directed at people who don't. Gotcha.
I don't believe in judging at all.

This really is what I liked about California. If it wasn't for the fact that there are no jobs that pay decently to people who aren't IT professionals, I would still be there.

The east village is no longer the way it was when I was living there. The yuppies and the transplants messed it all up.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:04 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
The east village is no longer the way it was when I was living there. The yuppies and the transplants messed it all up.
You need to get a history book and read up on New York City. From the day it was founded, the name of the game has been change. Every neighborhood undergoes change every few decades, so nobody should expect that any part of the city is going to be the same as it was 20, or 30, or 50 years ago.

I was born in Brownsville. If you had seen it when I lived there as a kid, thinking about what's become of it would make your head spin.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You need to get a history book and read up on New York City. From the day it was founded, the name of the game has been change. Every neighborhood undergoes change every few decades, so nobody should expect that any part of the city is going to be the same as it was 20, or 30, or 50 years ago.

I was born in Brownsville. If you had seen it when I lived there as a kid, thinking about what's become of it would make your head spin.
I can't believe there are hipsters in Bedstuy of all places.

Soon, you're gonna tell me there are yuppies in Red Hook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City