Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 09:19 PM

5,105 posts, read 4,959,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
Myth: Eating too much sugar causes diabetes.

Fact: No, it does not. Type 1 diabetes is caused by genetics and unknown factors that trigger the onset of the disease; type 2 diabetes is caused by genetics and lifestyle factors. Being overweight does increase your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, and a diet high in calories, whether from sugar or from fat, can contribute to weight gain. If you have a history of diabetes in your family, eating a healthy meal plan and regular exercise are recommended to manage your weight.

If you are going to make a point, at least make it an educated, fully descriptive one, especially for those that do not know as much on the topic.

It is indeed a free country, as well-reflected by the fact that every citizen has his or her own choice of what fact/myth to believe in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 09:30 PM

781 posts, read 1,195,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
It is indeed a free country, as well-reflected by the fact that every citizen has his or her own choice of what fact/myth to believe in
Not arguing that, leloliu, cue, this thread and its many tangents.

Calling someone an ignoramus and then +1'ing it, when the statement below is not exactly accurate according to documented medical research, is where the issue I have lies. At least be clear for the sake of an argument and for those uninformed on the topic.

Originally Posted by Alkonost
Diabetes is largely genetic and not caused by obesity. Skinny people have type 2 as well. Ignorant ****.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:31 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,263 times
I don't understand the economics of this. If the maximum portion size were halved, why wouldn't the seller also halve the selling price? Unless, perhaps you're assuming decreasing average cost, hmmmmm? AC = (FC + CQ)/Q? Your statement would then be correct. But, then, wouldn't there be an arbitrate opportunity? Mr Seller, I'll buy two portions from you and you charge me (2Q-M). Both parties benefit, so it will be done. In that case, the law becomes irrelevant, anyway.

By the way, whenever I go to the grocery, I'm puzzled that the per-ounce cost of large Diet Coke sizes is higher than than for smaller bottles. Which would seem to contradict your implicit assumption regarding decreasing average costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post

I'm all for education and adding calorie counts on menu's is a good idea. But restricting the size of items is stupid. It just drives costs higher for things that people want as a money grab. Aren't things in this city expensive enough?

Old 10-03-2012, 08:12 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
I don't understand the economics of this. If the maximum portion size were halved, why wouldn't the seller also halve the selling price?
You know that doesn't happen! Have you bought orange juice, lately? The stuff used to come in 64-ounce cartons. Now it comes in 50-ounce "carafes." But the price happens to have remained the same. Charging people more for less is, apparently, standard operating procedure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City