Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 03:52 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
There is an older lady in my building,in The Bronx,who hasn't left the neighborhood in over 20 years. Forget leaving the city,she hasn't even been to Manhattan in that time.She is perfectly capable of getting on the subway and going but she doesn't see any need.She walks everywhere except sometimes she takes a bus over to Riverdale to visit a friend.
LOL! I think NYC is one of the few places in the world were one doesn't have to leave their neighborhood. It's remarkable. All of your needs are met with the conveniences found within a 5 block radius. Also, there is so much density that you can have competing stores or even the same store chain within that 5 block radius and they are all equally successful and crowded.

As for the OPs question about the no car thing, no one in my office (who lives in Manhattan) has a car and they are ALWAYS on the move on weekends- especially during the summer. People in NYC are very use to taking public transpiration. If we want to get out of town we take the bus, the train, or a plane. Shoot, I have friends that don't even know how to drive! They never needed to learn.

Edit: And when I mean "they are on the move", I mean they skip out to the beach. Montauk was the big thing this year for the 20 somethings in my office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 03:54 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit chatter View Post
Ever heard the story about Woody Allen not leaving Manhattan for over ten years? I wonder how common this is with a class of people who are true and blue New Yorkers.

If you live in Manhattan getting out of the city is extremely difficult if you don't have a car. Car Rentals are very expensive and traffic is terrible. And why leave the Big Apple, everything is there for you.

Are you like Woody Allen and pretty much stay put in Manhattan? Have you even been upstate? Is Rural visiting relatives once a year in Fort Lee New Jersey?

What observations do you have about Manhattan residents and leaving town?
Renting a car is not that bad. Priceline.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:57 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
The path, lirr, and Amtrak can get you out of the state .
Add budget buses...

Old 09-14-2012, 05:31 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
I've never owned a car and have lived in Boston, Honolulu, San Francisco, Minneapolis, Seattle and DC. I leave Manhattan far more often than I did in any of those places because it's so much easier to travel by public transportation here. If you're in a city like Minneapolis without a car you're really stuck.

Last edited by tpk-nyc; 09-14-2012 at 06:15 PM..

Old 09-14-2012, 05:46 PM

106 posts, read 353,001 times
I'm one of those people. Me nor my family ever owned a car...it's too expensive to upkeep and keep one here in the city, plus to real reason to have one since public transportation is so widely available. The only times I've gotten out of town was through someone I knew who had a car, or we did car pool rental to get out. The ones I DO know who get out of town frequently/road trips are the ones who live far out in BK/Queens where owning a car is almost a necessity and they use their parent's car to go places. My ex owned a car and we would leave the city every week or so....I MISS doing that so much!

If I didn't have to pay a cent for a car, I would love to have one at my disposal. Aside from that I do travel overseas once a year though.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:50 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
I don't have a car and definately get out of town from time to time, but mostly to places where I don't need a car. This really limits your options in the US.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:25 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit chatter View Post
What observations do you have about Manhattan residents and leaving town?
Also, of you're considering only Manhattanites, they tend to be affluent and have a culture of leaving the city on the weekend. Nearly everyone on Fire Island or in the Hamptons on a Saturday in the summer is from Manhattan.

Many Manhattanites also travel for work a lot.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:24 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
I have a couple of older relatives who rarely leave Manhattan, when in residence, to the point where going to a relative's in Riverdale or Douglaston (with their own vehicle) is an ordeal, yet they will run to various parts of the globe as if they were headed to Lincoln Center.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-14-2012, 09:10 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,213 times
Never owned a car. When I've needed to go out of town by ground, train or rent a car. Car rental can be $100-150 for a day but it's a lot cheaper than spending $1500 on insurance, $400 a month for a parking spot, $5000 or so per year for car depreciation.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:00 PM

215 posts, read 519,582 times
$100-$150/day is for the weekend. You can get a car for around $400-$500 per week in Manhattan. It is expensive but completely doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City