Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 08:42 PM

9 posts, read 14,267 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My name is Mike and have recently been accepted to Baruch College for the spring semester. I am from a small town in Rhode Island surrounded by rural life and I hate it. I have always felt out of place here and like I don't belong. A dream of mine like many others has been to live in New York. I have only visited twice, but I have been to so many other places in the world, yet I always seem to think about New York. A few questions: Is 19 too young to be living on my own in the city? I am blessed and will have a budget of around 1500.00 a month for rent from my parents, with this budget where can I live safely? (130 pound white male). How hard is it for someone under 21 to make friends in the city? The reputation of New Yorkers is cold and that they don't open up easily. What is the reputation of Baruch in the city? (Accounting major) Lastly, should I just finish up one more semester at my community college and apply to a lot of different schools or should I just bite the bullet, take a risk, and go to New York and finally move on with my life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 08:49 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
Go for it. I was younger than that when I moved there and I never had so many friends before or after.
You will need to be aware and able to pick up on a lot of things very quickly in order to survive and thrive.
That's my only advice.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Go for it. I was younger than that when I moved there and I never had so many friends before or after.
You will need to be aware and able to pick up on a lot of things very quickly in order to survive and thrive.
That's my only advice.
What is Baruch's reputation in the city?

Old 09-14-2012, 08:56 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL7 View Post
Hello,

My name is Mike and have recently been accepted to Baruch College for the spring semester. I am from a small town in Rhode Island surrounded by rural life and I hate it. I have always felt out of place here and like I don't belong. A dream of mine like many others has been to live in New York. I have only visited twice, but I have been to so many other places in the world, yet I always seem to think about New York. A few questions: Is 19 too young to be living on my own in the city? I am blessed and will have a budget of around 1500.00 a month for rent from my parents, with this budget where can I live safely? (130 pound white male). How hard is it for someone under 21 to make friends in the city? The reputation of New Yorkers is cold and that they don't open up easily. What is the reputation of Baruch in the city? (Accounting major) Lastly, should I just finish up one more semester at my community college and apply to a lot of different schools or should I just bite the bullet, take a risk, and go to New York and finally move on with my life?
You should be meeting plenty of other students in your classes -- this will probably be a good way to make friends. Other ways may be to join a sports team or do volunteer work.

Is the $1500 for rent alone? What about your other expenses?

Does Baruch have a housing office, or are there online forums for incoming students so they can connect and arrange to room together off campus?

Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You should be meeting plenty of other students in your classes -- this will probably be a good way to make friends. Other ways may be to join a sports team or do volunteer work.

Is the $1500 for rent alone? What about your other expenses?

Does Baruch have a housing office, or are there online forums for incoming students so they can connect and arrange to room together off campus?
This is where Baruch students live. http://www.studenthousing.org/reside...0-third-avenue Not even sure if it's a safe area, pretty sure that is the border of Harlem and the UES. 1760 3rd Ave New York, NY 10029. 1500 is for rent alone (no expenses).

Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
Can't say about their reputation. The only thing I know is that my X's cousin was the president there at one time years ago.
You'll have to get that information elsewhere.

If the campus is still near Gramercy Park, that's a wonderful area, and near where I use to live.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:08 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL7 View Post
This is where Baruch students live. 1760 Third Avenue | Educational Housing Services Not even sure if it's a safe area, pretty sure that is the border of Harlem and the UES. 1760 3rd Ave New York, NY 10029. 1500 is for rent alone (no expenses).
Count your blessings. You will be fine once you get over the initial fears and start meeting the other students.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Can't say about their reputation. The only thing I know is that my X's cousin was the president there at one time years ago.
You'll have to get that information elsewhere.

If the campus is still near Gramercy Park, that's a wonderful area, and near where I use to live.
The campus is located 55 Lexington Ave at 25th St.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:33 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Baruch's rep in accounting is tops. The school is known among employers as being very strong in this. Do well in yr studies and you can go far. As to housing you are on the border between East Harlem and the Upper East Side. Walk north and you're in the hood. Walk south and it's a whole other world. The subway to school is a block away from your dorm.

After a semester getting to know the ciry, consider finding a roomate and moving into your place. You can do that quite easily on yr budget and it will truly give you a feel for Living here.

Good luck and welcome to New York.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:43 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
The student housing on Third Avenue should be fine. It is across the street from a NYCHA housing project, but the New Yorker rule is that if you have no business in the projects, you don't go into them, or cut through them, especially at night. The area begins to transition at 96th Street, but is increasingly stable in the border area into the low 100s, especially to the west as that is part of the Carnegie Hill HPD overlay zone. At night, I would only head south, and would be aware of my surroundings when returning from the subway, but that's the case in any city neighborhood, as you can be the victim of a crime of opportunity anywhere, though areas with many doormen and foot traffic can be safer.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: