Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 10:08 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,548,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
The city's changed, I've changed and I'm literally over it.
Judging from your posts, you most definitely are NOT over it. In fact, you sound like you're obsessed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 10:12 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,010,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Judging from your posts, you most definitely are NOT over it. In fact, you sound like you're obsessed.
Hmmmm, interesting.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:26 PM

1,153 posts, read 2,138,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
So, it's 13%. Big deal.

Up until the late 70s and 80s many elderly people living off social security were eating cat food, because it was cheaper than buying canned tuna or other fish made for human consumption. Many died not only from ailments, but severe malnutrition as well.

I don't give a damn that 2%, 13% or 25% of my money is going to FEED PEOPLE. Seriously, it doesn't bother ME.

What bothers me though, is that you're not this disgusted with the fact that billions of dollars went to save people who could not care less about YOU.
You make it seem like all these people that accept the handouts aren't committing crimes to get money. There are plenty of cases where women accept all the section 9, WIC, food stamps and the like but the baby's father or boyfriend is living there and providing extra cash to fund them. Or selling drugs, robbing, and other such illegal activities. Then they commit a crime, go to jail, and we fund them while they are there too.

When do we say enough is enough from the people that lack any sort of drive? Falling on hard times, don't we all. But to sit there and tell me that we should shed tears for people that have the same things as we do of which work? Yeah right. These people DO have Xbox's, iphones, and the like. I shed a tear for the elderly that worked all their life and then get the shaft. I don't care about ablebodied citizens that refuse to work just so they can sling cocaine on the streets and shoot rivals all day.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:47 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,349,443 times
Skilldeadly..so what you are saying is...if there are 1% of people abusing or scamming a system, then it should be dismantled. Which basically means...every system needs to be dismantled...are there do nothing teachers milking the system? I am sure it is 1%...so I guess we get rid of all teachers! Are there employees of the government that cheat the system? I am sure it is 1%...so let's close the government! Are there people who lie and get financial aid to go to school? I am sure it is 1%...let's get rid of all financial aid!

See why your argument is silly? Yes there are some who abuse our safety nets, but it is not enough to shut the system, or blame them for the world's problems. There are probably much more wealthy people who are cheating on taxes, hiding money, and corrupting the system through bribery at the expense of our society...and THAT is what really has a detrimental impact and that greed and deception is what caused the global meltdown, massive layoffs, epic foreclosures, etc we see today.

Why are you wasting your time with people who have an xbox and get food stamps? Really? How about you channel your energies on those who have tens of millions in the bank (or more) but it's not enough..they want MORE...3 mansions are not enough, 4 yachts are not enough...so they cheat/lie/steal, corrupting our government, exporting jobs to the cheapest place possible, and create laws and a society that benefits them solely...and at the expense of everyone else. THAT is what you should be focusing on.

Keep your eye on the imaginary welfare mom with 3 kids and a remote control COLOR tv...wow the luxuries! She's the problem! And while you are busy with her, I'll be draining your retirement funds by defrauding the stock market, stripping the equity from your home through various mortgage security scams, sending all the jobs overseas to the cheapest country so I can make 10x more money, send millions to lobbyist to make laws that benefit only me and my friends, and then hide all the funds I pilfered overseas tax free!

I only offer the red bill....most people don't take it. Just remember, you have been trained very well to keep your eye focused on the black guy..or the poor person...he/she is the problem in the world and always has been. It makes it so much easier to get away with anything!

Old 09-18-2012, 12:58 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,822,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
When do we say enough is enough from the people that lack any sort of drive? Falling on hard times, don't we all. But to sit there and tell me that we should shed tears for people that have the same things as we do of which work? Yeah right. These people DO have Xbox's, iphones, and the like. I shed a tear for the elderly that worked all their life and then get the shaft. I don't care about ablebodied citizens that refuse to work just so they can sling cocaine on the streets and shoot rivals all day.

This is so true. I had to do a service project for work once, painting a mural with a group of underprivelaged kids, all of whom lived in the Lower East Side projects. Thought this would be a nice day and a chance to get to know some cool kids.

Well little did I know I was the one who was going to do all the painting and they where going to sit and text on their black berries all day. They did make it fun for us though. They took turns putting their ipod touchs on the ipod dock that they had brought with them.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:32 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,382,524 times
most of us out here are mere servants
of the rich and poor entitled classes.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:11 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,509,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Despite it being the Bronx, I get steady tenants with great incomes and careers, not jobs. Accountants, police officers, teachers, paralegals, recent graduated doctors, nurses, young wall street traders, etc.

I never rent to and never will rent to low class jobs such as taxi/liver cab drivers, home care attendants, Mcdonald/burger king workers, cashiers, flat tire fix workers, security guards, resturant employee, supermarket employee, etc.

So I do have the upper hand and just hate to admit it.

Sorry all of those you mention are quite vulnerable. None of the 1% for you.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I think people who use food stamps should only be allowed to purchase natural foods with food stamps. No preservatives or processed foods. They should be eating food good for them and their health. And with this they can be healthy and then it can actually lower money the government spends on medical for them.

Food that s good for you is not cheap. These folks need to spread their meager dollars.

As is hilltopjay is calling them evil people because they have low paying jobs, or are part of the group (accountants,paralegals, etc) who lost their jobs long ago and now their unemployment ran out, or is not enough to pay hilltop his rent.

Hilltopjay life can suddenly change for people as many an ex wall street guy who lost his job can tell you. I know you aint getting the ones with big digits as they either do the burbs, Manhattan or two steps from Manhattan. Not a long commute and an expensive cab ride if they are out late.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Speaks my mind, too.
I was going add that those jobs are more meaningful than those wall street game players who sweep money by altering their mathematical models periodically; and to a lesser extent, those nyc landlords who make a living by sitting on some properties and hiking the rents like crazy every year. Honestly, the sanitation workers/fire fighters earn more of my respect than these "lazy" people who make easy bucks. I know this is getting off the topic

Dont let hilltop fool you. He gets the IT guys or the ones just out of college. Why will some one who can do better rent in Norwood, or where ever his building is? Yes some young kid who still wants to hang out late and then needs to figure out how to get home w/o being mugged on the #4 or the D.

Now if he owned a coop maybe, but rentals....yeah right.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:21 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,951,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Human Resources just started to enforce those who are receiving food stamps that are not disabled, going to school, or caring for elderly or children must receive training, counseling, or training to continue to receive their food stamps. There are other exclusions I can't remember off the top of my head right now. They are also cracking down on those selling their food stamps.

If they don't go to a specified center in order to sign up or prepare to look for job opportunities, this includes preparing a resume if they don't have one, then they are immediately cut off.

Now did I give you something to smile about today?
This is nothing new. Whatever happened to welfare for only 24 months? Did that quietly disappear? There will be so many exclusions as to be nothing more than hot air......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City