Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 10:22 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times

Advertisements

How is it not Bloombergs problem?
He is the Top dog for the city.

Great way to deflect the numbers and push the problem away from Bloomberg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 10:33 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
I suspected several years back that our illustrious Mayor has it in the back of his mind to run for President. And the frequency with which he comments on national issues, as opposed to purely local ones, only serves to buttress my original thoughts on the matter.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:33 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
How is it not Bloombergs problem?
He is the Top dog for the city.

Great way to deflect the numbers and push the problem away from Bloomberg.

In all fairness, as much as I'm not a fan of his, he himself makes no money off the city. He only collects a $1 annual paycheck. His money is self-made from his investments and businesses (88% owner and founder of Bloomberg L.P) and in fact, he was just rated by Forbe's to be one of the top 20 billionaires making him the 11th richest person in the U.S. How others choose to manage their wealth isn't his problem.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
In all fairness, as much as I'm not a fan of his, he himself makes no money off the city. He only collects a $1 annual paycheck. His money is self-made from his investments and businesses (88% owner and founder of Bloomberg L.P) and in fact, he was just rated by Forbe's to be one of the top 20 billionaires making him the 11th richest person in the U.S. How others choose to manage their wealth isn't his problem.
Agreed.

I am sure as a business owner he has employees working for him in NYC. I am sure their salaries hasn't increase the same % as his net worth.

Salaries aren't in line with the cities constant rise in the cost of living. Something Bloomberg can control to some extent.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:53 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
yep and all his bans are making him richer too most likely, while prices for those items are skyrocketing, thus making his pockets fatter.

people used to be satisfied to make millions. now everybody wants to make billions. all that greed in so few hands is destroying the economy and keeping everyone else from getting paid.

no one is listening tho.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Agreed.

I am sure as a business owner he has employees working for him in NYC. I am sure their salaries hasn't increase the same % as his net worth.

Salaries aren't in line with the cities constant rise in the cost of living. Something Bloomberg can control to some extent.
I don't think any employee of any large corporation has a salary that increases the way the owner's does. Someone's salary is based on their job. I work for a very large global bank. While I make a very nice salary I make no where near what the CEO makes and my bonuses are probably what he carries around as spare change lol. He runs a bank. I don't.

But I do agree that salaries aren't in line with the cost of living. It never was and I doubt it ever will be. But how can Bloomberg control that? He has no say in how much a business owner earns as long as employers are paying their employees the industry standards and/or minimum wage. Bloomberg can't control the taxes either or the rise in real estate, food or fuel.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
yep and all his bans are making him richer too most likely, while prices for those items are skyrocketing, thus making his pockets fatter.

people used to be satisfied to make millions. now everybody wants to make billions. all that greed in so few hands is destroying the economy and keeping everyone else from getting paid.

no one is listening tho.
I'm curious--how is he getting richer? You pay a fine it goes to the City's Taxation and Finance, not his pocket. Keeping my dislike for him out of this, I will say that I am one of those people who believes that sometimes taxes must be increased. I have no problem with it as long as my taxes are used for the purposes intended and that they aren't lining anyone's pockets. Unfortunately that's how some salaries are paid. He's not making money off taxpayers because he collects a $1 paycheck. Now, if his medical board, Dept of Ed Board, his sidekick Kelley and other public officials are lining their pockets then that's a completely different issue. Know what I mean?

If he has stock in Pepsi and his ban means now people will buy 4 more extra sodas, his stock might increase and he'll make more money off of it. Other than that, I don't see how it would make him richer.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:16 AM

145 posts, read 284,738 times
Homeboy has astronomically increased his wealth since becoming mayor. Astronomically. Now granted I am not a businessman and cannot give you details on what one thing has to do with the other. But if you're going to sit there and tell me that they do not, I am going to tell you that you're smoking rocks...

Old 09-20-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djones748 View Post
Homeboy has astronomically increased his wealth since becoming mayor. Astronomically. Now granted I am not a businessman and cannot give you details on what one thing has to do with the other. But if you're going to sit there and tell me that they do not, I am going to tell you that you're smoking rocks...
then you must not know very much about his businesses, specifically Bloomberg, L.P. and how he earned his wealth

Old 09-20-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post

. But how can Bloomberg control that? He has no say in how much a business owner earns as long as employers are paying their employees the industry standards and/or minimum wage. Bloomberg can't control the taxes either or the rise in real estate, food or fuel.
Bloomberg can put measures in place the same way he has done with everything else.
Rent has gone up
Transportation has gone up
City college tuition has gone up

All of this making New Yorkers poorer than 5-10 years ago.

Quote:
But I do agree that salaries aren't in line with the cost of living. It never was and I doubt it ever will be
During the baby boom generation it took one head of household to work, bring home the bacon & pay the bills. Now its everybody plus the kids.

Quote:
I don't think any employee of any large corporation has a salary that increases the way the owner's does. Someone's salary is based on their job. I work for a very large global bank. While I make a very nice salary I make no where near what the CEO makes and my bonuses are probably what he carries around as spare change lol. He runs a bank. I don't.
Agree but his employers wages are not keeping up with the cost of living thus making them poorer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City