Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 09:57 PM

48 posts, read 108,911 times

Advertisements

For a college class I am doing a research paper on questioning why gentrification in NYC has helped drastically decrease a lot of crime and other social issues (teen pregnancy, abandoned buildings, rape, etc) since the 1980's crack epidemic, but why is gun violence still highly prevalent throughout the city which has such strict gun laws (I know that is down compared to back then but it is still a huge problem).

I currently am trying to gather up a lot of data from crime rates from the past, however I am having trouble finding them. I know people have shared them on this forum and after doing a search it wasn't much help, if you all could name some credible sites of 1980s-1990s crime stats for the city that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 12:09 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
hi

Old 09-21-2012, 12:17 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Go to your local library or go online and look up the Statistical Abstract of the United States. The book has a wealth of information on all subjects and I think it publishes a new book every year.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:23 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $hayT93 View Post
I am doing a research paper on questioning why gentrification in NYC has helped drastically decrease a lot of crime and other social issues appreciated.
Better be careful.Your entire paper could be built on on a false premise,in which case it will be worthless.

How do you know that "gentrification in NYC has helped drastically decrease a lot of crime and other social issues" ?
It might just as well be the other way around, where a drastic decrease in crime( for some other reason(s)) has led to gentrification by making the city a more acceptable place to live

A possible correlation does not prove a causal relationship.

Which came first,the chicken or the egg ?

If I were your research methods teacher I'd make you prove your underlying premise,which you can't. You'd get a big red F.

Last edited by bluedog2; 09-21-2012 at 04:38 AM..

Old 09-21-2012, 10:07 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
The police publish crime reports for every precinct in the city every week, and these reports also include historical data going back many years. But these are only absolute numbers of crimes committed, not crime rates, meaning that they don't adjust for the population of the precincts, which can vary widely. And precinct boundaries are not always the same as commonly accepted neighborhood boundaries, they they often are.

See here: NYPD - Office of the Chief of Department

The state give actual crime rates, but only by county. That may not have the granularity you need for neighborhood research, but might still be useful somehow.

See here:Criminal Justice Statistics - NY DCJS

But bluedog is correct. You can't automatically say that gentrification caused falling crime rates. My own opinion is that gentrification had something to do with falling crime, but not as much as the end of the crack epidemic and the rapidly rising real estate prices in prime Manhattan neighborhoods. The former made many once fearful parts of the city a lot safer, while the latter made people consider living in once marginal neighborhoods.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:09 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
Agree with bluedog and citylove101's comments... Additionally, the fact that gun related crimes in high crime areas continues to be a major problem despite what people label as gentrification, should give you an indication that your theory as well as many others may not be correct...

Also this link below shows pretty detailed statistics of numbers before 1990 whereas compstat itself only shows numbers from 1990 and up...

Uniform Crime Reports of New York Cit and Index from 1985 to 2005

There are others but you just gotta look around.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:11 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Go to the library and go online and do lots of your own research to find the information you need.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:37 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Your hypotheis is wack. What happened was crime started falling due to the changeover from tokens to metrocards. Gun crime was falling too, until they ill advisedly installed bike lanes, which caused gun crime to increase again.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:43 PM

64 posts, read 85,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $hayT93 View Post
For a college class I am doing a research paper on questioning why gentrification in NYC has helped drastically decrease a lot of crime and other social issues (teen pregnancy, abandoned buildings, rape, etc) since the 1980's crack epidemic, but why is gun violence still highly prevalent throughout the city which has such strict gun laws (I know that is down compared to back then but it is still a huge problem).

I currently am trying to gather up a lot of data from crime rates from the past, however I am having trouble finding them. I know people have shared them on this forum and after doing a search it wasn't much help, if you all could name some credible sites of 1980s-1990s crime stats for the city that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Is this fact or merely an opinion or debate? I really don't see it as factual at all. I think you'll find mostly blogs from hipster transplants, that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City