Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2013, 10:41 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
I work right next to the Broadway Theaters and attend quite a few Broadway Plays and Musicals. One thing that I always noticed is almost everyone at the Broadway Shows is White! Why is this true in one of the most ethnically diverse cities in America?

Yes, I know that 65% of the people atteding Broadway Shows are tourists but NYC is full of tourists of all ethnic groups and from all over the world.

I knew my friends on City Data would not believe me unless I got some type of official study, so I googled the subject and came up with an official survey developed by THE BROADWAY LEAGUE.

The Broadway League - The Official Website of the Broadway Theatre Industry

In this study they determined that:
  1. Eighty-three percent of all tickets were purchased by Caucasian theatergoers, of those 65% were women.
  2. The average age of the Broadway theatergoer was 44 years, older than in the past few seasons.
  3. Only 4% of the tickets are bought by African Americans
I found this to be very interesting and scary at the same time. It says as America becomes more Hispanic and the baby boomers die out, interest in Broadway Shows will fall drastically.

What can Broadway do to get more participation by ethnic minorities, younger people, and men?
Those statistics aren't that surprising to me. Definitely not surprising that only 4% of tickets were purchased by African Americans, there isn't much an interest in plays from the African American community. Also, Broadway isn't cheap, it makes sense that most of the tickets were purchased by older people who are more financially secure.

Now, if you contrast this with data from 10-20 years ago and you find the average age of the person attending shows was about 35 or so, then we might have an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 10:53 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Those statistics aren't that surprising to me. Definitely not surprising that only 4% of tickets were purchased by African Americans, there isn't much an interest in plays from the African American community. Also, Broadway isn't cheap, it makes sense that most of the tickets were purchased by older people who are more financially secure.

Now, if you contrast this with data from 10-20 years ago and you find the average age of the person attending shows was about 35 or so, then we might have an issue.
I strongly disagree that Blacks are not interested in plays. There are many Black people working in theatre and not all are performers, they have Black people working I every aspect on Broadway. Broadway is expensive but a venue like Riverside theatre is widely attended.

Last edited by DAS; 11-25-2013 at 12:06 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 11:28 AM

530 posts, read 1,359,859 times
Yes, there is the issue of economics and yes there is a disparity in america but come on..... if the same black ppl can spend $300 on an iphone, $150 for new sneakers or $200 on beats headphones, true religion jeans or a nice car/rims then they can drop $80 for one of those broadway plays. The Black American consumer base is very strong on average so if there was an interest then more blacks would watch it.

I'm just stunned that some ppl see a problem with so few black people going to Broadway plays. I rather go to the Apollo Theatre or some other place in Harlem that doesn't view me as scum and only lets me in because they were *forced* to at a certain time in history.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:30 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,143 times
You have to be careful in any study. What about pro sports? I am sure that if you looked at Basketball, there would be a larger market share of African Americans fans with tickets, than say Lacross or fast pitch softball. I have friends of all colors and what we/they enjoy sometimes is very diverse, or in some cases, very close.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:31 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
Yes, there is the issue of economics and yes there is a disparity in america but come on..... if the same black ppl can spend $300 on an iphone, $150 for new sneakers or $200 on beats headphones, true religion jeans or a nice car/rims then they can drop $80 for one of those broadway plays. The Black American consumer base is very strong on average so if there was an interest then more blacks would watch it.

I'm just stunned that some ppl see a problem with so few black people going to Broadway plays. I rather go to the Apollo Theatre or some other place in Harlem that doesn't view me as scum and only lets me in because they were *forced* to at a certain time in history.

I concur. Good shows and talent translates across any color 'boundary'.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:35 AM

136 posts, read 116,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
I work right next to the Broadway Theaters and attend quite a few Broadway Plays and Musicals. One thing that I always noticed is almost everyone at the Broadway Shows is White! Why is this true in one of the most ethnically diverse cities in America?

Yes, I know that 65% of the people atteding Broadway Shows are tourists but NYC is full of tourists of all ethnic groups and from all over the world.

I knew my friends on City Data would not believe me unless I got some type of official study, so I googled the subject and came up with an official survey developed by THE BROADWAY LEAGUE.

The Broadway League - The Official Website of the Broadway Theatre Industry

In this study they determined that:
  1. Eighty-three percent of all tickets were purchased by Caucasian theatergoers, of those 65% were women.
  2. The average age of the Broadway theatergoer was 44 years, older than in the past few seasons.
  3. Only 4% of the tickets are bought by African Americans
I found this to be very interesting and scary at the same time. It says as America becomes more Hispanic and the baby boomers die out, interest in Broadway Shows will fall drastically.

What can Broadway do to get more participation by ethnic minorities, younger people, and men?
Perhaps blacks are not buying tickets because they are uninterested in what is on display. Typically black people will support shows that are of value to them. Much of broadway however doesn't cater to a diverse group, it's primarily intended for a certain demographic, and we all know who that demographic is.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:01 PM

204 posts, read 309,702 times
As a Black American, I've been to a Broadway show twice. I honestly only went because my girlfriend begged me to go. Considering only 12% of America is black, i think 4% attendance rate isn't to bad.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:26 PM
DAS

It's sad as whole that someone can write a statistic in an article and it is taken as truth. It is also sad that some posters are using their own personal preferences in the performing arts to justify this erroneous statistic. The percentage is not that low because the percentage of Blacks employed in the industry is higher than that. Blacks wouldn't be hired at this rate if there were not enough theatre goers to demand this type of hiring rate.

Theatre is one of largest money making industries in NYC, skilled technicians of all types make a good salary. So it is sad to read that Black people are using their personal preferences to actually state on a public forum that Black people are not interested in theatre.

The first Black woman to conduct an orchestra for a Broadway production was recently honored. There are a couple of Black musical directors working now in top productions, as well as costume people and stage managers, and others. If there were not that many Black people interested in theatre this wouldn't happen.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:46 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,563 times
Default Maybe cater to the new minority-majority?

Blacks aren't the only minorities and are no longer the largest minority in the country or in NYC. Doesn't the stats say that Hispanics are the now the majority minority and in some areas the minority-majority? To get more minorities, maybe Broadway should start presenting their shows in Spanish? If the stats posted in OP are correct, and btw I agree with another poster that's not bad especially considering Blacks are 13% of the total population. That 4% of Blacks buying B'way tickets represents over 1/3 of the Black population (percentage-wise) so Blacks have done their part and should not be expected to carry the rest of the load nor expected to compete with Whites in high percentages of purchasing tickets. Look to Hispanics to step up and support these American institutions, it's their time now. They have the sheer numbers, they largely have intact two-parent families, large extended families, low death rate among their young men, lower incarceration rate (than Blacks), they're mostly employed (even off the books or under the table pay). Look to them, it's their time now.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:54 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
culturaly we all have different tastes in the arts. im white but given the choice of seeing a broadway show or one of those amazing gospel groups im going gospel.

i dont go because i think i would feel out of place going to see the performers i like .
Old post but if your still interested just go, you probably won't be the only White person there. It's about love between humanity anyway. Just be sure to bring your wife, there are always more ladies in attendance, some are single and looking for attractive men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City