Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 05:20 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Quit squirming around. This isn't about what they "border." This is about CURRENT population moving INTO the neighborhood, not whatever is in neighborhoods bordering it.

I know people living in that stretch of FH and they are paying nowhere near what would equate to $5,000 a month for 3 BR. I do not see why anyone who can afford that would live there.
There are Chinese living within the boundaries of Tribeca just as there are Latinos living within the boundaries of UES. Those Eastern Europeans you apparently disdain are confined to the fringes of Forest Hills. It is happening almost everywhere in the city. Can't you grasp that concept? Go around Austin and Yellowstone and see for yourself if it is being over-run by Eastern Europeans. That is what a resident should care about, not what happens out in 108th and 63rd.

And yes, there are people who can afford $5K who live there and pay less. They stay at the Windsor, Kennedy and some of the higher end buildings or they rent townhouses for less than $5K.

Quote:
How do you "park your money" in a rental?

OP said she was looking to rent.
Uhmm...because developers and owners can make astronomical amounts by selling instead of renting which then reduces the supply of apartments available to rent which then drives up rent prices. The rental and sales markets are not mutually exclusive.

Sobro has already posted about this too many times in this forum so you posting this question belies your ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 05:43 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
There are Chinese living within the boundaries of Tribeca just as there are Latinos living within the boundaries of UES. Those Eastern Europeans you apparently disdain are confined to the fringes of Forest Hills. It is happening almost everywhere in the city. Can't you grasp that concept? Go around Austin and Yellowstone and see for yourself if it is being over-run by Eastern Europeans. That is what a resident should care about, not what happens out in 108th and 63rd.

And yes, there are people who can afford $5K who live there and pay less. They stay at the Windsor, Kennedy and some of the higher end buildings or they rent townhouses for less than $5K.

Uhmm...because developers and owners can make astronomical amounts by selling instead of renting which then reduces the supply of apartments available to rent which then drives up rent prices. The rental and sales markets are not mutually exclusive.

Sobro has already posted about this too many times in this forum so you posting this question belies your ignorance.
Still squirming around I see. LOL. You are one of the most misunderstood posters and always need to "re-explain" yourself. I see you are enjoying the crown I bestowed upon you yesterday. You wear it well! I don't disdain anyone; I am just thinking of the best suggestions for the OP and Forest Hills isn't one of them. At least you got off your Jackson Heights kick.

Yes that is fundamental knowledge. However, the OP isn't in direct competition with people seeking to buy an apartment which is what you wrote earlier and I disagreed with.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
These things can happen anywhere unless rats and bedbugs and construction are banned outside of Manhattan and I never heard the news.

Why be so down on Manhattan?
Who would have thought? The rat problem in the UWS is far worse than in JHHD, BR and FH. Construction activity is partly to blame but apart from that it's the way residential and commercial establishments (restaurants, food stores) are laid out, to put it quite simply. In UWS you have more apartment buidlings with restaurants and food stores in the G/F. Those are the establishments who leave their trash in plastic bags outside the sidewalk. In JHHD, FH and BR mostly businesses are concentrated away from apartment buildings in Austin, 37th and 5th so infestation in residential sidewalks if any is not as severe. That said I haven't yet heard of a severe rat problem in those places but maybe it's just a coincidence.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:53 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Who would have thought? The rat problem in the UWS is far worse than in JHHD, BR and FH. Construction activity is partly to blame but apart from that it's the way residential and commercial establishments (restaurants, food stores) are laid out, to put it quite simply. In UWS you have more apartment buidlings with restaurants and food stores in the G/F. Those are the establishments who leave their trash in plastic bags outside the sidewalk. In JHHD, FH and BR mostly businesses are concentrated away from apartment buildings in Austin, 37th and 5th so infestation in residential sidewalks if any is not as severe. That said I haven't yet heard of a severe rat problem in those places but maybe it's just a coincidence.
Got any sources or stats for that "research study?"

LOL, you do go on!

Have a nice weekend and enjoy your crown!

Old 10-05-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Still squirming around I see. LOL. You are one of the most misunderstood posters and always need to "re-explain" yourself. I see you are enjoying the crown I bestowed upon you yesterday. You wear it well! I don't disdain anyone; I am just thinking of the best suggestions for the OP and Forest Hills isn't one of them. At least you got off your Jackson Heights kick.
Don't know what you're talking about. A couple of other posters affirmed my comments in this thread so any claim about my posts being misunderstood is easily refuted.

Your thinking of FH is subjective. Not wrong, but just an opinion. People living in Windsor, Pinnacle and Kennedy will disagree because they have a different preference.

As for JH I haven't gotten off anything. People who really know the place have already affirmed this as a good neighborhood to live in. There are threads that have already been posted about it so no need to expand. At the end it all boils down to personal preference and there's no arguing with that. If you have a different opinion then so be it.

Quote:
Yes that is fundamental knowledge. However, the OP isn't in direct competition with people seeking to buy an apartment which is what you wrote earlier and I disagreed with.
Again, this is subjective and we probably won't agree on the extent to which the OP as a prospective tenant would be competing with potential buyers. And I didn't use the word "direct". That came from you.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 10-05-2012 at 07:02 PM..

Old 10-05-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Got any sources or stats for that "research study?"

LOL, you do go on!

Have a nice weekend and enjoy your crown!
Double LOL. You obviously don't know NYC.

Run the NYC rat information portal. It's easy. Windsor - no inspections, no baits in the vicinity. Our Lady Queen on Martyrs - no inspections, no baits in the vicinity. Fairway UWS - 3 inspections and 2 bait applications over two years. St. Paul's Church - 3 inspections. 207 W. 79th - 2 inspections in one year. Notice how it looks like every other block in the West 70s seems to have undergone inspections and baits?

Look's like whatever you've got ain't worth much.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 10-05-2012 at 06:52 PM..

Old 10-05-2012, 07:34 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
TY for not exaggerating the "wealth" of the area and telling the truth.
There is a hidden wealth in Jackson Heights. It's not at all apparent when you walk around, but I know of residents like a partner in a law firm who easily makes $1.5 million a year and plenty of other dual income professional families that make plenty and bought in JH over Brooklyn/Manhattan either because they prefer it or want more space.

It's not exaggerating to talk about the fact that the wealth and the highly educated class exists. So I'd rather not be thanked for "not exaggerating". The reason I posted the information about $800K apartments is to illustrate that it's not a 100% working class neighborhood, which some seem to assume when they ride by on the 7 train.

Also, there are several buildings that have consistently had sales over $400K or over $500K over the past several years. This includes Hawthorne Court (33 sales over $400K and 500K in 6 years), The Chateau (17 sales between 400-600K), The Towers (11 sales in the over $600K range); Laburnum Court - 9 sales over $400K. I am not talking about just 2006 --these sales continue at this price into 2011 and possibly beyond (my info is from 2011).

I looked it up because it seems you might have trouble believing this-- I guess because you think you know about something that you really don't. Please let me know if you'd like the real estate analysis pdf I got the info from.

Edited to say that the pdf does not show the exact sale price of every unit -- it shows the average sale price of the apartments by size and by building.

For example, in one building called Hawthorne Court:
2006 - 4 sales of 5 room apartments at average $422K
2006 - 5 sales of 6 room apartments at average $509K
2008 - 3 sales of 5 room apartments at average $452K
2008 - 4 sales of 6 room apartments at average $542K
2010 - 3 sales of 6 room apartments at average $553K

And that is just one building.

Jackson Heights is not wealthy overall but the historic district does contain a fair number of people well-off enough to be buying 500K and 600K apartments and managing not only to get mortgages but also pass the coop boards.

Last edited by Henna; 10-05-2012 at 08:36 PM..

Old 10-05-2012, 08:18 PM

/\/\

Henna, don't bother. He doesn't know the area (historic district) very well but likes to generalize nonetheless. Try explaining it to him in a civil way the facts, details and analysis he never knew of and he'll claim that you're changing your story even if most people get it. Can't even accept the reality that the Arabs near Bay Ridge and Russians near Forest Hills have been living in the fringes 10 years ago and remain in the fringes 10 years since with the rising rents and prices keeping the undesirables among them out. It usually ends with bait and switch comments that derail a very intelligent discussion.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:22 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
/\/\

Henna, don't bother. He doesn't know the area (historic district) very well but likes to generalize nonetheless. Try explaining it to him in a civil way the facts, details and analysis he never knew of and he'll claim that you're changing your story even if most people get it. Can't even accept the reality that the Arabs near Bay Ridge and Russians near Forest Hills have been living in the fringes 10 years ago and remain in the fringes 10 years since with the rising rents and prices keeping the undesirables among them out. It usually ends with bait and switch comments that derail a very intelligent discussion.
Yes, it's funny what people think they know from riding the 7 train and looking out the window, or going a few times to the Jackson Diner for Indian food.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:38 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
I did not mention BAYSIDE anywhere in this thread so I won't discuss it further. I don't know why you brought it up if not perhaps to digress.

You said you don't know the JH historic district. Maybe you need to know about it before you make any judgement. It is largely white collar professional and college educated, with good apartment stock of well maintained elevator buildings and townhouses. "Mixed bag"? Racially perhaps but not in terms of education and professional status. Residents there are lawyers, artists, authors, teachers and the like.

Forest Hills is not predominantly immigrant Russian/E. Europeans. That would be Rego Park.
My friends in Queens would refer to it as "Rego Pakistan."

Quote:
They have a noticable presence in FH and in the north side of QB towards 108th st. but not the main area around Austin. Most FH residents don't have any business going to the 108th st. & 63rd Rd area..
Why not? Have the Bukaharian Jews posted signs forbidding non BJs to enter? Are they that closed a community, or are they hostile toward non BK? I haven't any experience with the Bukharians, so please fill me in.

Quote:
The bottomline is that it's best for the OP to visit those neighborhoods herself and make her own judgement instead of relying only on claims made by anonymous posters in the internet. After touring Garden School, for example, walk south and go around 34th to 37th Ave. Check available apartments in the 3BR range and of course, observe the people who live there. My hunch is she will find the area to her liking.
What is the noise like over there? LGA is so close by. While the apartment buildings in the historic district are lovely, just a block or two away Northern Blvd in JH is a bit tired looking.

I like Queens and usually suggest Bayside Gables, Douglaston or Forest Hills Gardens, but if the OP has the money to spend and is talking about Manhattan, why suggest a borough which is merely a suburb on steroids? Queens can be a great place to live, has all the diversity one seeks in a quasi-urban environment but lacks the vibrancy of Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City