Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the New York/eastern accent disappearing among young people?
Yes 19 39.58%
No 16 33.33%
Yes, but it is still fairly common 13 27.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 08:56 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times

Advertisements

I think if you have/constantly hear the NY accent, and are a New Yorker, you wouldn't notice it as much as someone from outside the Tri-State area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 08:17 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
yup, it depends

many variables, just like every other region

Old 11-10-2012, 09:28 PM

4 posts, read 5,135 times
The NY accent is definitely disappearing. Watch the original "Taking of Pelham 123" from 1974. The NY accents are off the charts.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:15 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACalifornian View Post
I've never been to New York before, but I can't remember hardly any young New Yorkers (or easterners in general) I've seen on non-fiction TV speak with the famous accent. It seems like it is primarily associated with older or middle aged people. I know a couple of guys in Danbury, Connecticut (I think) on YouTube who speak with funny accents (sounds like a mish-mash of Canadian and New York), but that's about it. Most films or TV shows, especially those aimed at younger viewers, seem to primarily feature people who speak with the general Midwestern dialect.

So, among younger people, is the New York accent (or eastern accents in general) disappearing?
most people hear the brooklyn out of my mouth. But when i go down south i mos def let my accent be known.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:41 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS75 View Post
The NY accent is definitely disappearing. Watch the original "Taking of Pelham 123" from 1974. The NY accents are off the charts.
Yeah, people are in denial if they believe the accent is as strong as it was. Back in the 80's and before, even the young people had some sort of accent. The next generation from now is going to have less of an accent, as there are more NY'ers with no (or slight) accent.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:16 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,488,939 times
The massive influx of immigrants has pretty much obliterated the idea of a "New York Accent".

Old 11-11-2012, 04:16 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,241 times
Most native NYers still do have an accent it's not as strong as it was before but when you go out of town or really pay attention to when ppl speak you can hear it.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:59 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
yup, it depends

many variables, just like every other region
Everyone has some kind of accent.

Where I grew up in Rochester, NY, sometimes, I could tell which neighborhood a person grew up in.

In North Carolina, people have studied NC dialects. Here is a quiz of different areas: NCLLP - North Carolina Dialect Quiz

Too bad NYC doesn't have such a dialect project. Would be interesting.

I do think as we become a more mobile society and we have so much media (TV, movies, YouTube), accents are changing and become more similar. Kinda sad.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:49 PM

510 posts, read 1,442,885 times
You might think it's disappearing, but it's really not. Any native NY'er or anyone who has lived in NYC for a considerable number of years DOES pick up the accent, but it might be somewhat subtle (especially compared to populations/areas with stereotypical NY accents- i.e. south brooklyn). When I lived out of the city for a few months a year or so back EVERYONE in my new town commented on my accent, and I absolutely did not even consider myself as having one at all while I was in the city.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:06 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
You might think it's disappearing, but it's really not. Any native NY'er or anyone who has lived in NYC for a considerable number of years DOES pick up the accent, but it might be somewhat subtle (especially compared to populations/areas with stereotypical NY accents- i.e. south brooklyn). When I lived out of the city for a few months a year or so back EVERYONE in my new town commented on my accent, and I absolutely did not even consider myself as having one at all while I was in the city.
Thats how it works I never felt I had an accent till I moved down South and everyone immediately would recognize the accent now I'm aware of it and aware of other peoples accents and most native NYers do have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City