Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2008, 05:57 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
That portion compared to the gangs living in private homes is infinite.

That portion compared to gangs in apartment buildings is large.

Many people in projects are involved in gangs. WAY more than private homes and even dense tenement blocks.
I repeat, you are still talking about a small portion of the residents of public housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 07:30 PM

78 posts, read 316,185 times
Quote:
That portion compared to the gangs living in private homes is infinite.

That portion compared to gangs in apartment buildings is large.

Many people in projects are involved in gangs. WAY more than private homes and even dense tenement blocks.
Yes, let's be honest. The projects are full of poverty and despair. There are some good people but not many. It's a place where teen moms take their kids to be raised. In most cases there are no fathers and the kids are never taught discipline or respect.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:11 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
I repeat, you are still talking about a small portion of the residents of public housing.
I repeat, when compared to other type of housing, it's not a small portion.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I repeat, when compared to other type of housing, it's not a small portion.
Do you have any statistics or anything besides speculation to support this claim?

start searching now,

Old 11-15-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Do you have any statistics or anything besides speculation to support this claim?

start searching now,
I will if you get me the small portion you keep talking about.

You wont be able to find any statistics, just like I wouldn't be able too. However, if you do not think that more residents of housing projects are involved in gangs than residents from private homes or apartment buildings, then I do not know what to say to you.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I will if you get me the small portion you keep talking about.

You wont be able to find any statistics, just like I wouldn't be able too. However, if you do not think that more residents of housing projects are involved in gangs than residents from private homes or apartment buildings, then I do not know what to say to you.
So your claims are baseless and based on speculation.
I know first hand from living in the projects and spending time in projects throughout the city that the majority of the residents are decent hard working families.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
So your claims are baseless and based on speculation.
I know first hand from living in the projects and spending time in projects throughout the city that the majority of the residents are decent hard working families.
lol....yeah I bet thats how they earned their wondeful reputations. So tell me why are the highest crime "sectors" of NYC in the projects?

I must have hit a nerve.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:24 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,185 times
^ Hmm, the neighborhood of Brownsville and East New York has a high concentration of crime, yet those two neighborhoods seems more dangerous than East Harlem or Alphabet City. Even though East Harlem and Alphabet City is plagued by a lot of Housing projects. Reputation is one thing, real crime stats is another.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
^ Hmm, the neighborhood of Brownsville and East New York has a high concentration of crime, yet those two neighborhoods seems more dangerous than East Harlem or Alphabet City. Even though East Harlem and Alphabet City is plagued by a lot of Housing projects. Reputation is one thing, real crime stats is another.
You're way off.

First off East NY and Brownsville are 2 of the heaviest project neighborhoods in the city. I am going to assume that you made a mistake, because every one knows about those neighborhoods and they're extremely high project concentration.

Second, Alphabet city and East Harlem had THE HIGHEST crime rates in the city last year. Funny how you talk about real crime stats, when the real crime stats say East Harlem and ABC city were the worst of the worst. And all you're going by is a little trip you made to East Harlem.

Here again:

http://media.nymag.com/docs/08/01/080114crimemaps.pdf

Old 11-16-2008, 07:43 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,185 times
^ What do you mean? According to that map, Brownsville had 20 (or 28?) murders and East New York had 31. East Harlem had 10 and ABC had 2 (?). I know there are housing projects in those two Brooklyn neighborhood. But I always though that the two Manhattan neighborhoods had way more housing project buildings. So where am I wrong? The two Brooklyn neighborhoods have less housing project buildings and more crime and way more dangerous. Also I have been in East Harlem 100s of times. It hasn't scare me yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City