Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 11:32 AM

292 posts, read 704,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Did it say it say that his criminal record was known to employer? After all, it is a pizza delivery boy...I'm not sure they do background checks, let alone for a minor.

Either way, I don't think that the owner is liable in this case. That sounds like a frivolous law suit. That was the kid's behavior and the kid's behavior alone. He should soley be held accountable for what he did.
Read the article. This kid was arrested a few months ago while working for the SAME pizzeria, and committing breaking and entering and theft. The pizzeria boss MUST have known as this kid did it while on the job then TOO. I would think the cops would have contacted the manager.

How is this pizzeria manager NOT responsible for NOT firing this kid and continuing to allow him to gain access to residential buildings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 11:55 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
Read the article. This kid was arrested a few months ago while working for the SAME pizzeria, and committing breaking and entering and theft. The pizzeria boss MUST have known as this kid did it while on the job then TOO. I would think the cops would have contacted the manager.

How is this pizzeria manager NOT responsible for NOT firing this kid and continuing to allow him to gain access to residential buildings?
The manager is certainly responsible too. Who gets caught stealing while on the job but still gets to keep their job!?! That's ridiculous and very irresponsible of management to not fire him after he was charged with the theft in August.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:22 PM

175 posts, read 352,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
The manager is certainly responsible too. Who gets caught stealing while on the job but still gets to keep their job!?! That's ridiculous and very irresponsible of management to not fire him after he was charged with the theft in August.

I agree with you that the management was responsible, especially knowning this creep, as a delivery man, was surveying multiple apartments and apartment buildings looking for targets. At the same time, the kid sounds like a f*ck up. He was going to rape someone eventually, regardless if he was a pizza delivery guy or an ice cream truck driver.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:34 PM

916 posts, read 2,245,914 times
Maybe is different from neighborhood to nighborhood, but from my experience leaving their doors
unlocked is more of a native New Yorker thing than transplants or immigrants, because most
transplants or immigrants are usually not comfortable or confident enough of their relatively new
surrounding environment to leave the doors open. They actually cage their home like a fortress
with iron window bars and metal doors if possible.

On the other hand, many native or long time New Yorkers growing up in their neighborhood and
develop a sense of false security like they know eveything and everyone in their neighborhood.
These kind of sentiments give them the confidence to not lock their doors when they are home.

I know quite a few of my neighbors seldom lock their doors when they are home, all of them are
long time New Yorkers with big families and adult males in the house. These neighborhoods usually
have a reputation of being a good or decent neighborhoods.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:56 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post

Read the article and what you're making is an assumption. I actually read in another article the pizzaria owner saying he didn't know anything about his criminal record. Unless the police and/or detective informed him of it, I don't think he would know. Also I didn't read a thing about the previous crime being committed while he was a delivery boy, so it may not have happened even while he was on the job. So it's highly unlikely that he did know either way. And without a conviction, it's a pretty tough sell. Besides, this kid isn't working on wall street with an embezzelment rap sheet...and he isn't a a cop....he's a Pizza boy. I don't think employers run background checks on Pizza boys, let alone minors.

Second, it's not as if the pizzaria owner told the kid to rape a woman. The kid delivered the pizza and took it upon himself to check people's doors and illegally access an apartment. The crime is HIS doing not the owners. If she sues it sounds like a frivelous law suit. What she should be doing is suing HIS parents or suing HIM, but she won't because she knows there's no money there.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Great, then why not sue the city for providing him with a license to open a business? Why not sue the company that sold him the ingredients? Why not sue Italy for inventing pizza? This could go on all day.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:47 PM

175 posts, read 352,853 times
Quote:
Great, then why not sue the city for providing him with a license to open a business? Why not sue the company that sold him the ingredients? Why not sue Italy for inventing pizza? This could go on all day.
She's not saying the business should be charged with rape. That would would be an interesting trial though. She's saying that the business has the responsibility of knowing the criminal background or proclivity for breaking and entering of their employees. For the same reason that a day care center should know that their employees haven't been charged with child molestation.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm267 View Post
She's not saying the business should be charged with rape. That would would be an interesting trial though. She's saying that the business has the responsibility of knowing the criminal background or proclivity for breaking and entering of their employees. For the same reason that a day care center should know that their employees haven't been charged with child molestation.
That being said, if it weren't a law before, how can you sue them now? And if that's such a concern then pass a new law that all pizzarias have to conduct background checks on pizza boys and allow them to attach the cost to deliveries.

But you can't make a law after a crime has been committed, then sue the establishment for the said crime before the law was ever enacted.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:06 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
That being said, if it weren't a law before, how can you sue them now? And if that's such a concern then pass a new law that all pizzarias have to conduct background checks on pizza boys and allow them to attach the cost to deliveries.

But you can't make a law after a crime has been committed, then sue the establishment for the said crime before the law was ever enacted.
true, Esp in this case. Also, People sometimes may have committed crimes, But never got caught for them-Unbeknownst to their employers and others, And people can also be unpredictable. Suppose he had no record and did this anyway. Lots of variables, And small businesses many times don't run a full check/drug test etc due to costs and time.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:14 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Most people lived in the same building for years on end too, so you KNEW who all your neighbors were.

Exactly!!! 32 families in our building, and believe it or not, we knew everyone. Now it is different, there are not many of us left now, and the new tenants are not like the old ones. I am old Brooklyn, ya can't kill us !!

I don't know anyone who does. Everyone I know has at least 3 locks on their door. My sister is so paranoid that she has a bell on one of the locks "just in case" and she lives in one of those quiet, nobody ever on the street neighborhoods.

Yikes, I just have 2 locks on my door, it was like that when I moved up to this apartment

Men are so freaking lucky. As long as you're under the age of 60 or so, you guys can walk the streets at 3:00 in the morning and NEVER have to worry about someone trying to kidnap or drag you into a van never to be seen again.

Yes, you are right about that. But, we have the dis-advantage of being stopped & frisked more than women do. I also park my truck late on a weekend night (if I go out) and walk back to my building, (you know Brooklyn folk never get a spot in front of the building)....but if a Police car happens to pass me by, and it is 3am, they always slow down and look. So if that makes you feel any better, that us men have it easier. ( LOL ) in that respect, we don't

As long as you're not a young black man eating a bag of skittles in Florida, you'll have a 99% survival rate to make it home with no problems.

OMG, that is too funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City