Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 10:44 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,246,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Wait, maybe I'm mixing up my posters here, but I thought you make $90K and pay $700 in rent? What the H E L L are you spending your money on if you can't make it work on that?
Henna are you a female? Do you have a crush on me?

Yes I make that but I'm currently staying in A ROOM which means it is UNCOMFORTABLE.

I want to rent at least a studio in Manhattan with a god damn elevator in a building that isn't infested with cockroaches and falling apart. The problem is that it's gonna cost me 2.5k/month and I refuse to pay that much for garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 10:49 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
Henna are you a female? Do you have a crush on me?

Yes I make that but I'm currently staying in A ROOM which means it is UNCOMFORTABLE.

I want to rent at least a studio in Manhattan with a god damn elevator in a building that isn't infested with cockroaches and falling apart. The problem is that it's gonna cost me 2.5k/month and I refuse to pay that much for garbage.
No crush; just have a problem with my memory. Unfortunately I remember completely useless things very well and my mind is like a sieve for things that are actually important.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:50 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,987 times
Quote:
I would NOT move to NYC on 55k.

I wouldn't do it below 80k if I were you, specially due to the fact that you're coming from a "comfortable life."

I, myself, can't do conformable even on 80k+ (dead serious).

A 1 bedroom apartment is gonna cost you over 2k on rent. If you make 55k, you won't be able to pay for it.

So there you go.

EDIT -

But hey, you can always just live far away from the city so I'm sure the rent will be cheaper, but if you're that far from the city, you might as well just stay in DC.

I'm a "transplant" so I know what I'm talking about.
You're not a transplant. You're an immigrant... A transplant is an American from another state.

The rest of your post is nonsense. There's plenty of neighborhoods that can cost less than 2k a month, Astoria included.
You must be suffering from the 'hookers and blow' syndrome if you can't make ends meet by yourself on a 80k salary.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:52 AM

431 posts, read 659,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I'd stay at your current job, become a manager, and then get a management job in NYC.

If the work/life balance is nil at the new job, I don't see how that changes from the old job with the long commute.
I agree with this. I would stay in DC.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
You're not a transplant. You're an immigrant... A transplant is an American from another state.

The rest of your post is nonsense. There's plenty of neighborhoods that can cost less than 2k a month, Astoria included.
You must be suffering from the 'hookers and blow' syndrome if you can't make ends meet by yourself on a 80k salary.
I save about 2k a month paying 700 on rent.

If I were to pay "market rate" prices for a studio (because thats not asking for much), I'd be paying AT LEAST 2k/month.

2k - 700 = 1300. So that's 1,300 extra a month.

Instead of saving 2k/month, I'd be saving 700 a month.

THIS IS PAYING FOR BASIC NEEDS.

I don't even eat at expensive restaurants, or go to concerts or ANYTHING (at least at the moment).

The only thing I do is eat and go to the movies, everything else is free (for the time being, because there's too much going on in my life right now to start going out to party).

55k here you're NOT gonna be living anywhere NEAR middle class.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
No crush; just have a problem with my memory. Unfortunately I remember completely useless things very well and my mind is like a sieve for things that are actually important.
I'm taking you out to dinner next Friday.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:09 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times
Quote:
I'm taking you out to dinner next Friday.

You back the F off, son...

Old 11-05-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
You back the F off, son...
OH NOES THE HUSBAND SHOWED UP.... sorry bro, chillax

Old 11-05-2012, 12:12 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times
Don't you ever use the word "chillax" in my presence again. You've been kindly warned.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:20 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,987 times
Quote:
If I were to pay "market rate" prices for a studio (because thats not asking for much), I'd be paying AT LEAST 2k/month.
Nonsense, once again.

Unless you're looking to rent a studio on the UES, Park Slope or DUMBO you can definitely find a studio for under 2k.

Maybe the OP is smarter and decides to rent a studio in South Brooklyn or a non-hip part of Queens for 1k/month. That can be done also...

I live in a fairly nice (albeit small) 2br apt in Astoria and don't pay even close to 2k/mo. So I know it can definitely be done for less than what you claim it would cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City