Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 10:54 PM

10 posts, read 13,965 times

Advertisements

First off, sorry about making another "should I live in NYC post" to add to the 1000+ threads like it. I've gone through a ton of the old relevant threads but I'm at the point I just want to get people's feedback to my specific situation/dilemma.

The background: I'm 25 and currently work in DC for $50,000. My parents live in NorthernVA so I've been living at home. I get along real well with the parental units and have saved a nice chunk of change over the last 2 years (~$30,000 in cash not inc 401k/IRA etc, absolutely zero debt, credit score in high 700s). Overall, I live a comfortable, if not somewhat boring life. But I recently got a job offer in NYC for $55,000 + free health insurance + free breakfast/lunch/dinner every day.

I've made a list of pros/cons of going/staying….

Reasons to move to NYC/new job:
1.) Have always wanted to live in NYC. It's a cliché, but hey it's true. It's noisy, dirty, and loud but I feel like I'll regret not living in NYC for at least a year. I’ve visited about 5-6x and think I have a realistic outlook on NYC life.
2.) Health insurance is 100% covered.
3.) All meals are covered (people who work there say they always eat all 3 meals there).
4.) Folks seem very chill - everyone is in their 20s, laidback.
5.) No dress code/casual every day
6.) Public transportation is heck of a lot cheaper than metro (I pay ~$13/day for metro+bus).
7.) The company seems to be thriving + promise of upward mobility. It's one of the major startups in NYC. Also there are “dream job” positions open. I figure I can get my foot in the door and use my portfolio (when it’s ready) to move laterally in the organization.
8.) Unlimited vacation days. That said I know that can be a double edged sword…..
9.) I love living with my parents but living alone has its flavor too.
10.) I've got friends in NYC/NJ so I won’t be starting from scratch.

Reasons NOT to move to NYC/new job:
1.) No matter how you split it, $55k is not a lot in NYC. I've lived 100% independently before on $40k but that was in another non-major city where rent was a breezy $300 with 3 housemates.
2.) I dislike the idea of sharing a space. That said, I'm not going to kill myself if I can't get a studio.
3.) I heard the work/life is nil (aka 50hrs/wk min). That said, I already work 50hrs/wk in DC, but it's easy work.
4.) The ultimate goal is to move laterally in the organization. However, in the meantime, this job isn’t exactly my dream job (UX/Visual Designer) either. In fact it’s quite similar to my boring current job and there is no guarantee I will successfully pull off this transition.
5.) I don’t think I’ll be as critical here as I am in my current job.
6.) I’ll be away from my family.

Reasons to stay in DC/current job:
1.) Company is growing fast with no signs of slowing.
2.) I know I'm highly valued in my current job. In 1 year I could probably be Marketing Manager and Director in 3-4 years.
3.) Co-workers (and most of the managers) are pretty decent.
4.) Free lunches on Friday.
5.) Very little oversight / I'm basically my own boss.
6.) Good 401K match
7.) Free rent!
8.) Family.
9.) Saving lots of money.
10.) I can work portfolio that may hopefully help me get that “dream job” in a year or so. But if I do successfully get my "dream job" in yr or so, the promise of being a Director is rendered moot....

Reasons NOT to stay in DC/old job:
1.) I'm bored out of mind. The work I do right now is what makes me valuable. But the work I WANT to do has no place/is not needed at my current company.
2.) The 1.5 hour commute one way is bloody killing me. I have no life because of it. I leave at 7:30am and get home at 8:30pm (if I am lucky) every day.
3.) Absolutely NO friends in NoVA. Or DC for the matter. To hang out with anyone means I have to travel at least 1 hour to see them. The reason I have more friends in NYC is cuz I went to college there.
4.) It is really hard to meet people my own age. Specifically date-able guys if you don’t go to church or something. I’m not a clubber, not religious, and hate drinking, which makes me a killjoy at not just church, but also parties. The ratio of guys to girls in DC (like 1 guy for 4 girls) is pretty horrible too and NoVA is just all families. At the risk of sounding boy crazy, I think it’ll be heck of a lot easier to meet guys in NYC outside the club/church scene (hopefully).
5.) No work/life balance. See #2.
6.) The department I'll probably be Manager/Director of is Marketing. I don't want to do Marketing for the rest of my life. But the title would shiny on my resume….

I’ve played it safe all my life and quite frankly, I don’t want to mess up what I’ve worked for so far. But I feel like I’m not living much of a life. I love the fam and all, but at 25 all I do is work all week and spend the weekends grocery shopping with my mom. I feel like I am trading up my life for a stable career in a way. It’d be great to be Director of the department in at 28, but I feel like I’m almost giving up my life to attain that one thing. I suppose the best decision would be to stay in DC, stick it out one more year, get my portfolio done, and hope I get UX Design position. But till then, I just don’t want to squander another year living a complacent, quiet life….

Midlife crisis? Maybe. But anyone who has been through a similar dilemma, I’d appreciate your 2 cents. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 06:25 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,182 times
Tough call but I think it all comes down to how confident are you about thriving at the new company? If you are confident then make the move. If not, then wait or a better opportunity.

The market for professional jobs in NYC will only get better in the future and you can afford to wait for a better opportunity.
If you can make director at our current gig, a lo more opportunities will own up of you in NYC in the 75k+ range.

Also, if you pay 13$/ day for public transport, why not just gt a car? Insurance must be cheap in NOVA and an economy car will run you under $200/ month all in.it would also certainly improve your social life.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:38 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,585,383 times
Yes you could accept it, but live in NJ towns near NYC.
You could rent an apartment in Hackensack affordable as an example.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:13 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
I think you should go for it. You have a decent job lined up. Many people move to here with far, far less. Once you have New York experience, it's a lot easier to write your own ticket in another city. Yes, it's snobbish and irrational, but you might as well work it to your advantage.

One thing I suggest: Reconsider your aversion to a roommate. Nearly everyone has roommate when s/he first moves to the city. You'll be making enough money where it won't be a completely awkward setup, like sharing a studio or sleeping in the living room. Also, if you want to improve your social life, having a roommate can be very useful.

It's much easier to meet people in your 20s than in your 30s.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:48 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,247,714 times
From a monetary standpoint, Unless you plan on living with your family forever, you are going to have to pay rent at some point. If you stay in your current job, when do see yourself moving out and what would that rent realistically be? Also,would you feel ok about using your nest egg and living above your affordable rent budget to live in a better situation? Another 500 per month would allow for a much more comfortable living situation.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:57 AM

571 posts, read 1,200,341 times
YES!!! DO IT!

Very exciting change for you. As another poster said, people have moved to NYC with less. It sounds like both jobs are a stepping stone to get you where you want, so no biggie that neither is the "dream job" yet. At least you know the direction you want to go w/regard to your career.

I agree that a roommate may be okay at first (just don't get yourself into a lease).

The other upside to the whole thing is that you are still pretty close to family, so it'll be easy to get back and forth for holidays, etc.

I see very little downside to your move.

Best of luck!

Old 10-01-2012, 08:10 AM

156 posts, read 285,497 times
If you've always wanted to live in NY, the go for it. Yours is the age to take a risk-free risk! It only gets harder with age and potential family issues.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:39 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,035 times
$55K is certainly livable but I would try and negotiate for more like maybe 10% or 15%--after all, it doesn't hurt to ask. If they don't budge on the salary, you can easily do $55K in Manhattan with roommates or you can do an outer borough or NJ solo on that income. It sounds like a good opportunity and if the company is a start up/growing you have a really good chance to move up quickly and/or get a lot of good responsibility under your belt.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:19 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times
i dunno. your commute in ny might be even longer, chap.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:38 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,141 times
yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City