Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 01:53 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
So it sounds like you prefer sending your kid to a HS with the purpose of preparing for adulthood...not sure what that means? They will learn a trade, skip college? Why do you prefer that as opposed to an academically focused school? Every school has character building..particularly if students choose to be active in school clubs, althletics, or community service through the HS.
First, he isn't my "kid", he is my grandson. Second, where did I say anything about learning a trade or skipping college? Sports or athletics is not academic. He will be receiving academic learning. Maybe you aren't aware of the fact that at the end of each year students are required to take 5 citywide exams? It provides character building, and in my opinion isn't something schools tend to provide, at least judging from the kids I see today. He can do well in his studies as well as learning the sense of accomplishment. Accomplishment is not just getting great grades or passing a test or being great at a sport. Responsibility is part of being an adult. This would reinforcement responsibility - what he has learned at home and what he will experience in the school, and make it part of his life.

Every school has character building?? Well it must be a pretty empty class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 04:56 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,226 times
Academically speaking, Scanlan is bottom of the barrel in the local Catholic schools.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:52 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Daughter and grandson may be moving to Castle Hill. He will be entering high school (9th grade) next year and the search is on!!!! Travel isn't too much of an issue as long as he can get into a good school. (Forget about Bronx Science as it's too late for him to test)

I read up on Bronx Guild High School on Lafayette Avenue. Is anyone familiar with it? Seems quite progressive but for the last year grandson he would have to take college prep courses (IMO). I don't see much on their academic program. Also, it's not very far from the Castle Hill Houses, which I hear is a battle ground.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
Dont do Lehman high school, that school went down hill the past decade. I can never forget when blacks sat on one end of the lunch table, italians sat at the other end and ricans in the middle because they are cool witn both groups. Over the past few years many middle class italians and ricans who live within Lehman high school zone now send their children to nearby Catholic schools. My best bet is for your grandson to attenx St Raymonds which is located in Castle Hill.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:40 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Dont do Lehman high school, that school went down hill the past decade. I can never forget when blacks sat on one end of the lunch table, italians sat at the other end and ricans in the middle because they are cool witn both groups. Over the past few years many middle class italians and ricans who live within Lehman high school zone now send their children to nearby Catholic schools. My best bet is for your grandson to attenx St Raymonds which is located in Castle Hill.
Lehman has a very poor rating. Actually, it's pretty hard to find any public school with a passing grade. The Bronx Guild has been given a B grade - so they must be doing something right. Then again it only accommodates about 322 students.

I wouldn't mind paying for my grandson's education but catholic schools are religious based. His mother and father are separated and they can't agree on religion, although my grandson is more to his mother's beliefs (moderately religious) and shares none of his father's beliefs (that's the extent of his religion as he doesn't practice his religion except when he gets all holy once a year, but the father won't bend. One of the problems of shared custody.

I know that some catholic schools will allow non-catholics to attend (can be overlooked when one is willing to pay) and sit out religious instruction.

Seems to me that children in the Bronx don't warrant a good education???

Old 10-03-2012, 08:40 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
From what I have observed pretty much all middle class people in the BX who can afford it send their kids to the Catholic High Schools. All Hollows, St Raymonds, Cardinal Hayes, Spellman, etc...not saying this is necessarily the way to go, just what seems to be the common thing.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:22 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
softblueeyez...I am aware of all the realities of HS in the Bronx. Based on your comments, your grandchild will do about the same regardless of what school he attends. Good luck.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:25 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Why not go ahead and go to public school in the Bronx. By all accounts it will teach you lessons in life that you can't learn in the classroom, if you have the stomach for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City