Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 04:25 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,715 times

Advertisements

Daughter and grandson may be moving to Castle Hill. He will be entering high school (9th grade) next year and the search is on!!!! Travel isn't too much of an issue as long as he can get into a good school. (Forget about Bronx Science as it's too late for him to test)

I read up on Bronx Guild High School on Lafayette Avenue. Is anyone familiar with it? Seems quite progressive but for the last year grandson he would have to take college prep courses (IMO). I don't see much on their academic program. Also, it's not very far from the Castle Hill Houses, which I hear is a battle ground.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 07:09 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
I wish I could help but this is one part of the city I have a lot of trouble staying up to date on. Public schools in NYC have changed a lot under Bloomberg admin so it's been harder to stay up to date with info.

We should have an official education thread to help people such as yourself. I propose we start one and sticky it.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:20 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
I would not recommend any of the high schools in and around Castle Hill. Stick with the catholic schools, like Monsignor Scanland, Cardinal Spellman, etc. You'll pay, but it's worth it...many of the teachers have been there for a LONG time and have the experience. The students are of much better quality and far more diverse as well.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:49 AM

5,119 posts, read 4,967,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I would not recommend any of the high schools in and around Castle Hill. Stick with the catholic schools, like Monsignor Scanland, Cardinal Spellman, etc. You'll pay, but it's worth it...many of the teachers have been there for a LONG time and have the experience. The students are of much better quality and far more diverse as well.

Can you expand on the diversity thing somenmore? I often thought that "white" catholic schools are filled with italinos and Irish kids.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:53 AM

5,119 posts, read 4,967,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I wish I could help but this is one part of the city I have a lot of trouble staying up to date on. Public schools in NYC have changed a lot under Bloomberg admin so it's been harder to stay up to date with info.

We should have an official education thread to help people such as yourself. I propose we start one and sticky it.

A sticky thread on ny schools and education will serve a good purpose here indeed....way more importantant than arguing nonsenses like how much soda one should drink or who makes better shoes, etc.....

Old 10-02-2012, 08:04 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post

Also agree that a specific school/education thread would be very good here. People coming to the city with kids really need to know about tat stuff.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:30 AM

14 posts, read 36,308 times
Leighman High school has a new honors school and it's took alot of kids from private schools who could not afford private school any longer. It's in Throgs Neck.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:36 AM

Leilou...I am not clear by what you mean by "white catholic schools." Why are you defining Spellman and Scanland as "white." There is little white about them..if you did your research whites are the great minority in the Bronx, and are also the minority at these schools. By better diversity, I mean that instead of sending your kids to a local HS in Castle Hill which will be only poor blacks and browns from the same community, you can send your kids to Spellman and Scanland which has whites, asians, and lots of people of color, many of whom come from different neighborhoods, different social classes, experiences, etc. That is a far more enriching experience.

I have mixed feeling on Lehman. If your kid is in the honors program, Lehman can be a good choice. However if your child is not (the 99% of students), he is stuck with all the same problems/kids as every other bad public HS in the city...in which case I do not recommend it.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:33 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,715 times
Thanks for the responses.

I've been doing alot of research on Castle Hill. It has been going through changes over the years and the area she is moving to is very diverse (googled her address and took a "tour") and is very middle class. It seems that "the Bronx is burning" is the first thing people think of, but that isn't the case. I see the problem being the education that is provided, or lack of good schools/education, should I say.

I checked Lehman HS - it has an "F" rating.

I have been checking HSs in NYC itself. The public schools are so-so.

I think the pay-as-you go will be the way unless Bronx Guild works out. Daughter will be checking out the Bronx Guild HS, which has a "B" rating and has a small student (322) body. It's quite unique and I like the principles that it uses which pretty much prepares students for adulthood. It is not a text-book or sports oriented school but one of character building and exposure to community service.

A sticky thread on schools would be a great idea.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:07 PM

So it sounds like you prefer sending your kid to a HS with the purpose of preparing for adulthood...not sure what that means? They will learn a trade, skip college? Why do you prefer that as opposed to an academically focused school? Every school has character building..particularly if students choose to be active in school clubs, althletics, or community service through the HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City