U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 10:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,951 times

Advertisements

So I live in East New York near pitkin ave and every time people that walk their dog they always take a crap on my sidewalk. They dont clean up afterwards and I'm getting sick of this. What can I do about this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 06:03 AM

922 posts, read 1,946,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinNY View Post
So I live in East New York near pitkin ave and every time people that walk their dog they always take a crap on my sidewalk. They dont clean up afterwards and I'm getting sick of this. What can I do about this?
A very popular suggest by other people was to bag the poo and deposit it back at the dog owner's
door step if you are 100% sure who did it. Or you can try talk to the dog owner politely to clean up
after their dog if you don't want to be too confrontational.

You can also set up a CCTV camera ( or just a fake one) to deter them if you don't want to approach
them and worry about safty, the offender might worry about the fine to do it in front of your house if
they see a camera.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:13 AM

2,898 posts, read 5,123,160 times
What can you do?

Move!

You live in ENY, not Park Slope where people are usually considerate and care about the appearance of their neighborhood.

You ain't gonna change these hoods way of life, so if it bothers you so much, you might as well move.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:19 AM

21,380 posts, read 24,152,982 times
Call 311.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dsny/html/pr2011/102711.shtml

Old 10-05-2012, 06:23 AM

922 posts, read 1,946,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
What can you do?

Move!

You live in ENY, not Park Slope where people usually care about the appearance of their neighborhood.

You ain't gonna change these hoods way of life, so if it bothers you so much, you might as well move.
This is not just a ENY problem or hoods way of life, lazy dog owners are everywhere. You can see
the same kind of complaints from many people and all kinds of different neighborhoods.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
This is not just a ENY problem or hoods way of life, lazy dog owners are everywhere. You can see
the same kind of complaints from many people and all kinds of different neighborhoods.
I don't know bro, you might be right but personal experience tells me that usually around hoods this problem is more prevalent.
My block has a lot of dog owners, and you rarely see Moderator cut: Inappropraite language
on the sidewalk.
Usually where people are more considerate and caring you'll find less of that kind of behavior.
It's the same with garbage, graffiti, etc. Sure you see them everywhere, but is it more prevalent in the hood?
Again my personal experience tells me, yes.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-20-2013 at 08:32 AM..

Old 10-05-2012, 07:08 AM

147 posts, read 326,229 times
I live in Astoria and we have this also. We also have people who bag the poop and then throw the plastic bag full of poop into the sewer or into a person's trash cans which really stinks it up. If youur dog poops, I say you need to brign it back to YOUR house to dispose of it. I don't want a leaking baggie of dog doo in my trashcans. We have a neighbor around the corner who installed motion activated cameras pointed at a tree they have. There is a "no dog poop" sign stuck inghe ground in front of the tree. I guess it is a popular spot. (Tehre is even al ittle stick figure of a dog making little poop balss with a big red slash though it a la Ghostbusters)

Old 10-05-2012, 08:13 AM

1,764 posts, read 3,579,760 times
I see dog poo all over the sidewalk in Chelsea, so its a common problem. Honestly, I'm not sure spending money to set up cameras is even gonna be that effective(unless they are cheapo fake ones maybe). What are you gonna do with that footage?

I'd say get a, "please curb your dog" sign and talk to your neighbors about the issue. You can agree that whenever one of you catches a dog owner in the act of not cleaning up -- if its safe they should confront the person about it. I think most people leave the poo behind because they think no one cares and they can get away with it. Other than that, not much to be done in the short term.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:29 AM

7,846 posts, read 10,846,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
What can you do?

Move!

You live in ENY, not Park Slope where people are usually considerate and care about the appearance of their neighborhood.

I hope you're being sarcastic. I live in Franklin Square, not the "hood" and people do the same thing there. To suggest that someone moves is really rather silly. Lazy, inconsiderate people live everywhere. There was a family that lived across the street from me and sometimes the mother would walk their shih-tzu and let the dog crap on my lawn and didn't pick it up. My dog doesn't go on the front lawn so I knew it wasn't ours but I've seen her walk the dog up the block many times and not curb after him. So one morning as she was walking past my house, I told her next time I see dog crap on my lawn, she's going to be washing it off her front door. She never set foot on my side of the block after that but a few months ago they moved out. There's a good number of families on my block with dogs and there's never poop on the lawns except when this lady would take the dog out.

There's a huge swanky assisted living residence where I take the bus and I see another lady walk her dog every morning. God forbid she should pick up the turd. Makes me wanna slap people upside their head. Again, Franklin Square, LI. Not ENY or "hood".

OP, sometimes you can confront the person but be sure it's someone who seems rationale. I think you can get the "Curb Your Dog" signs from the city and put them on your property or curb.

EDIT: Whoever edited the spelling of the dog, I wasn't intending to use foul language. If you know how to spell it, please do. shihtzsu?

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 10-05-2012 at 11:44 AM..

Old 10-05-2012, 09:26 AM

I knew I was gonna get flamed for being so blunt. Maybe my choice of words wasn't the best.
But my point remains. This is a quality of life issue.
Is there dog sh*t on certain Astoria blocks? Sure. Does this happen everywhere, including Manhattan at some level. Yes.
However, are these QOL issues more prevalent in bad neighborhoods? You bet.

Don't wanna encounter this kind of sh*t (no pun intended), as often as you do now?
Then moving might be your best choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City