Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 08:48 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times

Advertisements

frikkin south africa!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 09:09 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Unfortunately this is standard practice and very sad. A couple days ago I was walking with a friend to get some food (in Mott Haven) around 8pm, and there were about 8 youths (probably around 16 years old) walking down the block parallel to me....just walking..not being loud/rude or otherwise calling attention to themselves. We both see a police car coming down the street towards us....it begins to slow and then stop. We keep walking as usual, however the cops come out of the vehicle and the kids instinctively get up against the wall, with their hands above their head, while the cops say nothing and rifle through their pockets. The cops do nothing/say nothing, and get back in the vehicle and continue on their way, as do the youths.

That is the daily existence of people in these communities and its atrocious and would not be tolerated anywhere else. But here? Anything goes..no rules, no laws...the cops do as they please and if you look at them the wrong way you are cuffed. RAY KELLY NEEDS TO GO.

and so does Bloomberg.

It is really sad that this is what has become. Imagine just walking down the street, and having to always worry if a cop care stops and gets out, they have the right to stick their disgusting hands in your pocket.
it is sickening.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:14 AM

573 posts, read 1,462,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
[/color][/u][/i][/b]they have the right to stick their disgusting hands in your pocket.
it is sickening.
especially considering NYPD officers love for donuts...

Old 10-10-2012, 09:31 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
especially considering NYPD officers love for donuts...

LOVE IT!!

but seriously, no, I don't want another mans hands in my pockets, police officer or not, it is still a stranger to me.

but funny how their tunes changed when my partner pulled out his wallet and his brothers badge was gleaming all over the place, (he is a correction officer in Nassau County), then suddenly the cops were like, OK gentlemen, have a nice evening.

we were thugs at first when they saw us, then they saw the badge we suddenly became gentelmen.

sad thing is, I was probably older than all three of the cops, and hardly a thug.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:31 AM

175 posts, read 352,853 times
I share everyone's outrage and I have no idea what the solution is. The reality is that officers profile black/latino men. Is it fair? of course not, but this is the reality.

All I can say is that if officers were pulling this sh*t on 86th and Lexington, and stopping young white men on their way home from Dalton, this stop and frisk program would end tomorrow. Even though crime does occur on the Upper East Side, this would not be tolerated in an affluent neighborhood. No way are bloomberg's next door neighbors going to sit idly by while this happens to their sons.

So it seems, the best way to combat this, is for some brave officer to intercept an affluent young man, in an affluent neighborhood, while his affluent neighbors stare and walk by. The resulting fallout would destroy any argument supporting this policy.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:51 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,616,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm267 View Post
I share everyone's outrage and I have no idea what the solution is. The reality is that officers profile black/latino men. Is it fair? of course not, but this is the reality.

All I can say is that if officers were pulling this sh*t on 86th and Lexington, and stopping young white men on their way home from Dalton, this stop and frisk program would end tomorrow. Even though crime does occur on the Upper East Side, this would not be tolerated in an affluent neighborhood. No way are bloomberg's next door neighbors going to sit idly by while this happens to their sons.

So it seems, the best way to combat this, is for some brave officer to intercept an affluent young man, in an affluent neighborhood, while his affluent neighbors stare and walk by. The resulting fallout would destroy any argument supporting this policy.
I like your thinking.

On a similar note, if we can apparently search young black and Latino men's persons without any pretense of cause or consent, why not likewise search the personal email accounts and laptop hard drives of every high level executive at Citigroup and Barclays? I suspect such searches would be more fruitful than street stops...

Old 10-10-2012, 11:57 AM

228 posts, read 483,092 times
NYPD officers deserve absolutely ZERO respect. They are supposed to be a brave and courageous group working for the people, instead they are nothing but scum and cowards who harass and hunt down innocent people. WE pay for their salaries, they are supposed to be working FOR us not against us.

What a bunch of low life cowards. I feel bad for the few who may actually be good people (i'm sure that number is very small), but at the same time anyone who signs up for the NYPD knows that they are getting into, so actually, no, I don't feel bad for them.

Let them continue their unconstitutional policies and watch as their vile reputation grows and public backlash increases.

It will come to a point where people in those neighborhoods have had enough and the cops will begin to be the ones who are hunted.

I certainly won't shed a tear.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:01 PM

175 posts, read 352,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
I like your thinking.

On a similar note, if we can apparently search young black and Latino men's persons without any pretense of cause or consent, why not likewise search the personal email accounts and laptop hard drives of every high level executive at Citigroup and Barclays? I suspect such searches would be more fruitful than street stops...

Exactly. After all, crime is crime.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:01 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
what stop and frisk actually is, an ultra agressive tactic based on the idea that cops have of a so called felon: young, black/latino, and living in a low income community. Stop and frisk is based on (racist) stereotypes, plain and simple.
Love it or hate it, S&F is based on the fact that the victims of street crimes, who are predominantely of color themselves, report 92% of the time that their attacker is a young man of color! Not coincidentally, 92% of the S&Fs match the description. It's reality based.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm267 View Post
if officers were pulling this sh*t on 86th and Lexington, and stopping young white men on their way home from Dalton, this stop and frisk program would end tomorrow.
The descriptions of street crime perps at 86 & Lex are probably close to that city-wide, which isn't YWMs.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:20 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
Bigjake...we know the stats..the issue is what they are doing is illegal and unconstitutional!!! Stop & Frisk is the equivalent of searching people's homes because there is peeling paint or litter in front...neither of which are effective strategies to reduce/prevent crime....nevermind that such a search is illegal and unconstitutional!

Get it?

What Ray Kelly has now created is a police force committing crimes against the constituents they are paid to protect and serve! And it is encouraged and promoted by Ray Kelly himself! WTF! Cops whose job it is to enforce laws ignoring those very laws and doing whatever they want!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City