Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 06:58 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
First, the OP tells me how he assumes everyone outside of glorious New York lives, and now you, another NYer are telling me how I should feel about it. Interesting. Quite full of yourselves, aren't you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 07:19 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,886 times
No. This is my home and I like it. I could move to the suburbs or perhaps the "suburban like" areas or BK, BX or Queens but to leave the NYC area altogether, you'd have to drag me out kicking and screaming.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:39 AM

916 posts, read 2,246,475 times
Nope.... I don't feel miserable or amazing living in NYC. And I never thought of NYC as the greatest city
in the world, but I would miss NYC dearly when I'm away for too long simply because it's home.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:58 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,430 times
OP-absolutely I feel the same as you...and I'm a native here. Most native NYers I know want to leave but can't do to financial constraints/job/family etc.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:56 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
You don't get out much, do you? This kind of gross generalization demonstrates your ignorance and is an insult to many.
Au contraire, my Portlandia friend, I've lived, travelled and worked all over the US and Canada, as well as points abroad. That's how I know all about your little art-yuppie enclave in the rainy Northwest.

I would have bet 100$ that the first person to take issue with my comment defending NYC would be from Portland; which has an inferiority complex vis a vis NYC second only to that of Toronto Ontario.

It seems to be the dream of every other Portland barista and bike mechanic to move to NYC (Brooklyn natch) and then lecture us about how we need to expand the craft beers, bike lanes, fixed gear, beards, coffee shop and rooftop vegetables culture beyond their natural scope of north Brooklyn to encompass the entire city.

Why they can't just keep their lumberjack-on-estrogen, wool hat in summer culture/lifestyle in Portland where it belongs is beyond me.

Portland people: " We exist! We're a real city! We're not Walmart suburban fatties! You need more bike lanes! Waah!"

New Yorkers: "whatever".

Old 10-13-2012, 09:14 AM

145 posts, read 284,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
Au contraire, my Portlandia friend, I've lived, travelled and worked all over the US and Canada, as well as points abroad. That's how I know all about your little art-yuppie enclave in the rainy Northwest.

I would have bet 100$ that the first person to take issue with my comment defending NYC would be from Portland; which has an inferiority complex vis a vis NYC second only to that of Toronto Ontario.

It seems to be the dream of every other Portland barista and bike mechanic to move to NYC (Brooklyn natch) and then lecture us about how we need to expand the craft beers, bike lanes, fixed gear, beards, coffee shop and rooftop vegetables culture beyond their natural scope of north Brooklyn to encompass the entire city.

Why they can't just keep their lumberjack-on-estrogen, wool hat in summer culture/lifestyle in Portland where it belongs is beyond me.

Portland people: " We exist! We're a real city! We're not Walmart suburban fatties! You need more bike lanes! Waah!"

This post is full of such truth and all around greatness.

/thread

Old 10-13-2012, 09:29 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,355,367 times
Quote:

Yup. Just like I said. Gross generalizations and ignorance. What a charming representative you are of New York. Unlike you though, I don't presume that everyone else there thinks like you. I've been to New York and I wouldn't dream of saying that I know all about NY as you claim to know all about Portland. Your superiority complex is breathtaking in it's scope and ignorance. And you seem so angry. Big city getting to you?

Old 10-13-2012, 09:57 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,079 times
Many people who come to New York choose to live money- and status-obsessed lives that would make me miserable, too. But no one is making them.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:38 AM

156 posts, read 285,617 times
Quote:
Yeah, I just can't wait to get away from New York and escape to Wal-Mart/suburbia/freeway Land, ie the rest of the US. Mow the lawn. Get in the car. Drive to Walmart. Shop. Buy the same prodcuts and groceries that everyone else in the other 50 suburban states are buying. Get in the car. Drive to the gas station. Pay 6 bucks a gallon. Get in the car. Drive to the mall...etc
To avoid insulting Sayulita, I'll just say that I've been living the life described above since I left the city and HATE it!
Felt I just HAD to for professional and financial reasons. So it is time to return.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:46 AM

458 posts, read 616,193 times
No, you're all right. New York City is the only "real" city in America. Everywhere else is just cookie-cutter copies of Wal-Mart suburbia. People who live elsewhere just can't handle the big-league. New York is so unique and precious...

Sorry, can't type that stuff and keep a straight face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3Yh2NJWQ1s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City