Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 10:11 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
I know, right? They should have installed metal detectors at the exit doors in that movie theater in Aurora(that's where the psycho entered)....
The point is that a gun was brought to a seemingly innocuous event- a movie theatre in the [quiet and peaceful ] Midwest. This is NYC, prime target for many a threat. Common sense should say equal security measures be in place for a prime venue like Barclays. "Rowdy" Jay Z revelers aside, one should be just as concerned as some nut job targeting a new, high profile, place like Barclays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 06:56 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Exactly Jad2K! And for the record...I did not bring race into anything..the op did by posing this thread! Unless the OP is alleging that the reason the Barbara Streisand concert did not have metal detactors is because the attendees are so old they don't have the arm strength to hold both their oxygen tanks and a gun, nevermind that the glaucoma precludes them from seeing anything besides a cloudy haze...then this thread is simply about race veiled under the guise of "difference in music genre."

If anyone believes the creation of a much hyped venue like Barclays, crammed with thousands of people, in NYC, does not deserve the utmost security for EVERY event is living in a pre-9/11 world...and we don't live there anymore. It's that simple. And the fact that domestic terrorists and nutjobs armed with assault rifles have recently attacked universities, taken down entire buildings (Oklahoma), and the movie theater massacre, means we need more, not less security in places that are seemingly "wholesome, safe places"...you know...those "real America" places we hear so much about.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:56 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
and again, it is the "class" of people that would attend each event.

it has nothing to do with race.........so why is everyone "going there" Ugh,

Old 10-17-2012, 07:00 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
These days you should check everywhere. It's the world we live in. I'm preparing myself for the day I'll be checked at a movie...

Old 10-17-2012, 07:15 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,575,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
These days you should check everywhere. It's the world we live in. I'm preparing myself for the day I'll be checked at a movie...
By your logic there should be metal detectors at supermarkets, dept stores, restaurants, etc.... These are places that although a nutjob can open fire, at the same time its very unlikely unlike at a hip hop concert where violence is highly probable. Once again, this has nothing to do with race. Black people attend jazz performances all the time with no problems or violence. This has to do with those hip hop fans that embrace and live the "thug life" and are prone to enciting violence.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:35 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
"This has to do with those hip hop fans that embrace and live the "thug life" and are prone to enciting violence."

I think in order to make such a statement, we need to see the FACTS on violence at different music venues. Unless you are basing your opinion on factual evidence, you are simply going by a stereotype. So please, cite your source that concerts hosted by rap artists have higher incidences of violence than every other concert genre. Otherwise, what you are saying is just a racist perception you are purporting as fact.

You could be 100% correct, and if your credible sources confirm it, I would agree with you. Until then...

Old 10-17-2012, 08:02 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,575,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
"This has to do with those hip hop fans that embrace and live the "thug life" and are prone to enciting violence."

I think in order to make such a statement, we need to see the FACTS on violence at different music venues. Unless you are basing your opinion on factual evidence, you are simply going by a stereotype. So please, cite your source that concerts hosted by rap artists have higher incidences of violence than every other concert genre. Otherwise, what you are saying is just a racist perception you are purporting as fact.

You could be 100% correct, and if your credible sources confirm it, I would agree with you. Until then...
Do I really need to post incidents of violence at the BET hip hop awards vs violence at awards shows such as American music awards, Country music awards, Latin music awards, etc?

Old 10-17-2012, 08:09 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
there will always be haters out there.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:09 AM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Don't waste your time deevel79, trust me.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:14 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,184 times
Why does race even have anything to do with it? Hip-hop concerts nowadays probably have more white people in attendance than black people.

If you want to see violence go to a punk rock or heavy metal show. The crowd will be 100% white and they'll be beating the living hell out of each other, half of them will be bleeding and throwing random punches at random people.

Compare that to all the hip-hop shows I've been to (even ones in Atlanta that got shut down by the Fire Marshall before the show even started with 1'000 paying customers being kicked out of the club at once) and never seen a single violent incident.

I don't think that Barclay's did this out of racism, but I do think that they didn't really think the political consequences through very well, and unfortunately this day and age you have to or else you get situations like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City