Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 07:48 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
That's East Harlem, and why people need to stay out of housing projects, unless they need to be there, i.e., visiting someone, living/working there, etc. Decent people are held hostage by the crime around them in the projects, but they are skilled as to how to handle the situation, and whom to avoid.

As to whether or not you should move, that's a personal decision, but the hype of the "Upper Upper East Side" that has been circulated among real estate developers in recent years as East Harlem being the "next" neighborhood overlooks the large concentration of housing projects that have had issues with criminal activity for decades. And, contrary to developer opinion, the NYCHA are not being replaced anytime soon.

And, you did the correct thing. You should NOT have gone over to confirm that there was a shooting as you do not know the circumstances of it, and who may have been armed. Perhaps the shot was fired in the air, and you could come upon a group with a gun who may be menacing, especially if you entered an NYCHA project and don't belong thre. Call 911 and report the location of the shots fired, but absolutely do not undertake an investigation of the circumstances of the shooting.
Exactly... I was wondering when this point was going to show up... To the OP, you are obviously completely inexperienced to the lifestyle you will arguably be surrounded by... And the scary part is, this is arguably the best of East Harlem since the 1950s and it's still one of the worst areas in the city... Too many projects within such a small concentrated setting does not bode well for that area regardless of the hype and revitalization... My advice to you would be if you can find something that isn't listed as "up and coming", "gentrified", "hip", etc. and reasonably priced, go for it... The sad reality is people like you (not specifically but in general, out of towners) pay so much money to live in the ghetto when there are tons of locations that may not have the access to manhattan they're looking for but are much safer at the same time... Just look around and ignore the hype...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 08:01 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Wagner project is arguably the worst project in East Harlem, what did you expect?
Arguably? I think it is.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-14-2012, 08:37 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
I can't tell the difference between gunshots and fireworks. If a bunch of police cars don't show up then I always like to assume fireworks.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:56 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
May I ask what type of neighborhood you thought you were moving into? Didn't you read up that most neighborhoods above 96th street might not be too...um...safe?
Someone needs to direct the OP to the Internet, where questions like this can be answered ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_F._Wagner_Houses
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/03/ny...cials-say.html
Of course, we could all be mistaken:
Defend alleged*gangbangers, rip DA at Wagner Houses* - New York Daily News
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAYLX6PSLuw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgu6A...eature=related

Old 10-15-2012, 09:47 AM

900 posts, read 2,372,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I can't tell the difference between gunshots and fireworks. If a bunch of police cars don't show up then I always like to assume fireworks.
Around June 1st into maybe the first two weeks around July 4th most likely fireworks, any other times gunshots.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:40 AM

340 posts, read 1,185,766 times
Im not sure how u could be "surprised" about hearing a gunshot in east harlem. its to be expected if u spend any reasonable amount of time in the area. To the person who claims they grew up there and never heard a gunshot i think u must be deaf.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:15 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobyoung1983 View Post
Good afternoon to all. I moved to East Harlem, specifically between 1st Avenue and Pleasant Avenue in the high 110's, at the end of the summer. This past Friday morning (October, 12) at 5:30-6 AM I was walking to my car parked on Pleasant (across from Mt. Carmel Catholic school and next to the public school) and heard a loud bang! I got into my car as fast as I could and within a few minutes cops showed up at the Wagner Houses. The air smelled different (I assume this was the smell of gunpowder or something?) and a small group of spectators (it was early in the AM) gathered around where the cops showed up.

Although, I should probably have gone over to confirm what had happened, I started up my car and got out of their asap! Why can't I find any news on this? Should I move? I am going to grad school soon and picked the neighborhood for its affordability. Perhaps, I should have expected something like this, but all my neighbors and the landlord only said good things about the area
You moved to Pleasant Ave?
ain't nothing pleasant about hearing gunshots.
Unfortunately, there's more where those came from.

Last edited by likeminas; 10-15-2012 at 02:29 PM..

Old 10-15-2012, 06:51 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Arguably? I think it is.
Agreed.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:17 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
The neighborhood between First and Pleasant is pretty good but you are pushing the Northern envelope and seem to be right atop the projects at 120th.
Around 115th -118th it is better.

When walking around, try for South. Closer to the Mall is better.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:30 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,832 times
The best part of east Harlem is south of mount Sinai. The real "upper upper east side".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: