Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,476 times

Advertisements

My wife has been offered a seat at a Pace U grad school. Our budget for a rental is hopefully under 2500 (living in the city is probably out of the question). What NYC suburb would be best for that kind of rent, good Autistic public schools, or would we be better served in NJ or CT?

This is an insane transition, and I am actually quite terrified. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 03:51 PM

82 posts, read 218,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phramahaphil View Post
My wife has been offered a seat at a Pace U grad school. Our budget for a rental is hopefully under 2500 (living in the city is probably out of the question). What NYC suburb would be best for that kind of rent, good Autistic public schools, or would we be better served in NJ or CT?

This is an insane transition, and I am actually quite terrified. Any advice would be appreciated.
Some more info that may be useful; Where are you coming from? Which Pace campus is the program at? How much space do you need?

Old 10-15-2012, 07:02 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,249,164 times
You might try Ardsley in Westchester County as the special education program is well known, and very comprehensive. The downside can be the cost, and finding a rental in the district as it is majority single-family, owner-occupied homes. However, it is not impossible, though the budget/house type might need to be a bit flexible, because Westchester taxes are high, hence the higher rental prices on a single-family home. Search by school district as some houses have a Dobbs Ferry address, but Ardsley schools. There's a 3BR/1BA that came up on CraigsList in Dobbs Ferry (Ardsley Schools) for $2450, so it's not an impossible find. A 2BR apartment would be in range, but probably too small for your needs, in Ardsley.

Also, Ardsley is not on the train, so you would have to go to a train station in a neighboring town/village for service to Manhattan, though non-resident parking permits can be difficult to secure in some towns.

While you could afford parts of the city, such as parts of Queens and The Bronx (good neighborhoods like Riverdale or Bayside), I would hesitate to recommend them because of the school situation, since I am assuming you want to use public schools. You would be much better served by a smaller suburban school district, regardless of the added commute compared to the city's public schools for special needs students.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-16-2012, 07:19 AM

75 posts, read 145,749 times
I'd try Queens or Brooklyn. I work in D75 with mostly Autistic children. Our public schools have awesome programs for children with Autism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City