U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 08:51 PM

420 posts, read 814,880 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move from the Steinway area of Astoria to Inwood (Dyckman just west of Broadway)

I worked for a couple of months as a personal assistant for someone who lived on Indian Road and liked that area but I'm not familiar with this immediate area except that there's the park nearby, some new restaurants on Dyckman and the safety is negligible east of Broadway where it's predominantly Dominican... Plus there may be a drug dealing problem on Sherman and Nagle from what I've been told by the store owner's who've been there a while. I'm a guy in my mid-20's and it's NYC but that's too close for comfort as it's only a couple of blocks away. The 40 min commute to Midtown doesn't worry me as much as what to do for groceries... would rather avoid the places I saw along Broadway and might have to shop down on the UWS on in Riverdale.

I'm also getting conflicting reports about if the A train runs up there on weekends after 10pm- that would be a deal breaker if it doesn't. I'm also considering a share on the UWS for the same price but it's a bit smaller. Thankfully, they're shares so I am not locked into a lease for a year if I don't like the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 09:38 PM

422 posts, read 708,528 times
Dude just stay in Astoria. What are the possible benefits of living in Inwood that would justify he headache of a move? I can't imagine your rent being substantially cheaper...

Old 10-17-2012, 12:33 AM

145 posts, read 248,735 times
Listen to this fine gentleman^^^^^

Old 10-17-2012, 04:36 AM

8,476 posts, read 20,313,434 times
Inwood west of Broadway around Indian Road is a very nice neighborhood but it's way too expensive when you consider the neighborhood amenities and the commute time to midtown.There are similar neighborhoods in The Bronx with the same commute but with considerably lower rents.You end up paying a premium for having a Manhattan address when you really might as well live in The Bronx.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:14 AM

9,158 posts, read 4,266,135 times
I've been studying Inwood pretty closely with the street view and haven't been able to find a single decent looking grocery store. Broadway in general doesn't seem to offer much for such a major commercial street. But Inwood does have some great looking buildings, especially west of Broadway.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:09 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,182,416 times
The A train always runs, but it becomes local after 10:30 or so. When I lived uptown it was also frequently local all weekend because of construction, but I don't know if that's still going on.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:25 AM

4,255 posts, read 6,316,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I've been studying Inwood pretty closely with the street view and haven't been able to find a single decent looking grocery store. Broadway in general doesn't seem to offer much for such a major commercial street. But Inwood does have some great looking buildings, especially west of Broadway.

For groceries there is the Target in Marble Hill on 225th St right off Broadway and the #1 line. There is also a 24/7 Pathmark on 207th St right off of Broadway.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:43 AM

5,514 posts, read 17,638,434 times
Heavy drug dealing neighborhood, concentrated east of Broadway.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:17 AM

6 posts, read 26,980 times
I honestly would rather live in Riverdale Bronx..

Old 10-18-2012, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 17,742 times
Default Inwoodite

Dyckman WOB is a nice area but extremely noisy and packed with traffic in spring and summer, especially at night.

Groceries are easy. C-Town on Broadway is okay for staples. For produce there is an excellent year-round Saturday farmer's market on Isham between Cooper and Seaman. Also Frank's Market, just off the A at the 181 stop in Washington Heights, is more of an UWS-style grocery store. The Whole Foods at Columbus Circle is not a bad trip, and there's always Fresh Direct.

The A train runs to Inwood 24/7/365, unless there's track work, which can affect any line. In fact, the great thing about taking the A to Inwood is the train never skips your stop, as 207 is at the end/beginning of the line.

Inwood has among the lowest rates of violent crime in Manhattan. You can look it up.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City