Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 11:01 AM

256 posts, read 541,403 times

Advertisements

Just go on forums and hang out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 11:17 AM

258 posts, read 1,003,755 times
Thanks, Ill try meetup, it looks promising.. I dont necessarily want to volunteer, I just am trying to get a discount on where I stay, to me it doesnt matter where I stay. I know that some places maybe a hostel or something may be cheaper to stay at then a hotel and to me I dont necessarily have to volunteer I just dont want to be by myself all the time so meetup may be what im looking for.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:26 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0681 View Post
Thanks, Ill try meetup, it looks promising.. I dont necessarily want to volunteer, I just am trying to get a discount on where I stay, to me it doesnt matter where I stay. I know that some places maybe a hostel or something may be cheaper to stay at then a hotel and to me I dont necessarily have to volunteer I just dont want to be by myself all the time so meetup may be what im looking for.
Any chance on getting a friend to travel with you? Maybe you can split the cost of a room (double occupancy) and you can stay in a decent hotel without having to spend too much money? That would be the bulk of the expenses. Food and drink can be relatively inexpensive.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:45 AM

110 posts, read 200,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Really? I always see oddly dressed people and I've met interesting people visiting from abroad. I guess when you live there you don't really notice it much.
To me Mayberry would be fascinating.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:26 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
For meeting real NYers, perhaps try Big Apple Greeters which is organization that NYers volunteer to show tourists around the city for free:
New York City Walks

Old 10-18-2012, 02:04 PM

393 posts, read 783,009 times
I've never heard of anyone getting a discount for volunteering (volunteering where?), but you can get a good deal at a hostel. You can also try airbnb to book a private room. Has to be a hosted stay (meaning the tenant/owner will be in the apartment with you) because it's mostly not legal to rent the entire apartment to tourists. But for you that could be an advantage. Rooms on Airbnb come with reviews from other travelers and information about the person you'd be staying with. It could be a great way to meet a New Yorker (maybe when you contact people that have rooms for travelers you could ask if they would be open to the idea of hanging out together for one night out of your stay at local bars) and get a cheap place to stay. Other than that, if you google "meet other travelers" you'll get a bunch of websites you can check out for connecting with other people. Given how many people come to NYC, it shouldn't be a problem finding another solo traveler you can buddy up with.

You can always go out on your own, but people (especialy in Manhattan), aren't very social at bars to people who are not part of their own evening social group.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:07 PM

81 posts, read 175,709 times
I would think about staying in a hostel as opposed to a hotel, you might meet more young people traveling alone (backpackers and such) who would be looking for others to explore the city with? Or perhaps find a place on airbnb with a well-reviewed, friendly host who would take you around to different places or point you in the right direction?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City