Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,702 times

Advertisements

Because NYC is the dream for most people and they will do almost anything to live here, no matter how much they are sacrificing, even if they have to have cup noodles for every meal. It's sad, but true. Regardless of how much they will make, they are willing to do whatever it takes.

Once people grow out of this mentality that NYC is amazing, etc., they will soon search for something more and better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 01:05 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForBroke View Post
I grew up in a suburb right outside a large city in Texas, in a household where neither parent made even a quarter of what I do now. But my parents and two younger sisters live a great life there now: new 3000sqft house, paid-off luxury cars, top public high schools, nice steak dinners any night they get lazy, etc. Their mortgage? $1800. That’s cheaper than most shoebox studios in Manhattan. And although I really like and am thankful for the great 1-bedroom I live in now, the rent I pay is about the same as the mortgage would be on this gorgeous 7-bedroom mansion I’ve had my eye on near my hometown (as an investment).
Besides the steak dinners nothing youve listed here appeals to me, I do not want some mcmansion in the suburbs, I do not want to own a car, schools are understandable but there are good schools here too. A lot of the stuff you listed are like material things and a sense of comfort that does not bring real happiness for a lot of people. Experiencing news things brings more happiness as long as your not destitute in the city.

I mean you have all those things and then what? There's only so much you can do and experience in these suburban areas. And a lot of people care more about that than a perceived better lifestyle in the suburbs.

I actually watched a documentary on how a lot of suburban areas are trying to urbanize a little to bring more density, walkability, and vibrancy because the current over reliance on the car and isolation of suburbs are not as sustainable and beneficial to the economy, environment, and health.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:56 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
GoForBroke
6 posts, read 1,954 times

70k was clearly arbitrary. What about 50k? 35k? The number isn't really the point.

The point is you could do so much better elsewhere. Comparing what you sacrifice by leaving NY vs. the major boost in your quality of life.
----------------------------------------------------------

The numbers are always the point. $70K is a lot different than $50K and that is a lot different than $35K.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:01 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,735 times
I'm considering hanging it up. There's not much highly paid work in my field of technical chemistry here - everything on Craigslist is for Master's degree "technicians" to work in some lab at Columbia, and people looking for poor schmucks to SAT prep their spoiled brat.

I could find work easily if I moved to the Carolinas, or something. And, afford luxuries, like going to the dentist.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:14 PM

79 posts, read 241,812 times
This is coming from someone who during last ten years together had lived in Oklahoma and is living now in Tennessee. Real estate market and quality of life is about the same in TN or TX, actually TN is little better geographically and weather wise. I also visited NYC for the first time past weekend though for short period but long enough to get a snapshot of the vibrant life NYC has to offer. During our stay at NYC, I and my wife talked if we would move to NYC, assuming that the pay grade is about the same as we have in TN, we both said no.

I think at the end everything comes down to priorities and to an extend what you get used to. But to OP's point, in my salary (wife working) we have 3,000+ sq.ft. house with huge backyard and less than $1300 mortgage, pretty laid back life style with low cost of living. The school districts are among top 5 in TN. We figured that we would rather live here, save enough to make a few trips a year to places like NYC instead of living there and being stuck. I would totally agree that a city like Nashville can't be compared to NYC which has great public transportation, nightlife and different quality of life. But when it comes down to raising a family I don't see myself or my family living in NYC and maintaining a good lifestyle unless I get 3-5X the salary I am getting now.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:24 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
New York is overpriced, but some people are willing to pay.

If rents went down 50% tomorrow, everyone would still think it's worth it- and still say the price they were paying before is worth it.

If rents doubled tomorrow, some people would still think it's worth it.

I think people are just broken who live here.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:35 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It makes perfect sense but tell that to your fellow Gen Yer counterpart from Tabernacle Iowa he or she will think differently and will pay top dollar to fit their lives in a shoe box. Your kind of people hate the suburbs for what it is and prefer cities like NY, DC, Seattle, Boston and Austin. Think is that when your kind of people mature and become wiser some question if they should stay in a city like ny to raise kids while some suggest its off to the suburbs for better housing stock and superior public schools.
Gen Y is supposed to have the lowest birthrates since records have been keeping track....so the movement in the suburbs might not happen.... Infact cities and urbanized areas are supposed and are growing and outpacing the auto suburbs....with there good quality education...and better housing stock although cheapy built.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:21 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Gen Y is supposed to have the lowest birthrates since records have been keeping track....so the movement in the suburbs might not happen.... Infact cities and urbanized areas are supposed and are growing and outpacing the auto suburbs....with there good quality education...and better housing stock although cheapy built.
70% of Millennials desire urban living. This also correlates with worldwide urbanization.

People live in NYC because they desire an urban lifestyle in America. One complete with maximum diversity, walkability, world class architecture, museums, and medical/educational facilities.

Who is sacrificing quality of life?

Old 10-23-2012, 08:23 PM

5,119 posts, read 4,967,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post

I actually watched a documentary on how a lot of suburban areas are trying to urbanize a little to bring more density, walkability, and vibrancy because the current over reliance on the car and isolation of suburbs are not as sustainable and beneficial to the economy, environment, and health.

That would be an exciting direction of future evolution of the cities in USA. I liked touring most European towns/cities because their downtown areas are often the business/entertainment/recreation centers where people gather to enjoy and relax, whereas the majority of US downtown areas become dreadful places that everybody try to flee except a very few places. There should be a change to revitalize all city/town centers to provide a centralized area of recreation for people in each town.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:00 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
70% of Millennials desire urban living. This also correlates with worldwide urbanization.

People live in NYC because they desire an urban lifestyle in America. One complete with maximum diversity, walkability, world class architecture, museums, and medical/educational facilities.

Who is sacrificing quality of life?
People who have to work 50+ hours a week to live in a very small apartment.

I also think that the higher the rent payment, the lower amount of diversity you see in a neighborhood, so I'm pretty certain many equate little diversity with high QoL. God knows it's true of the NYC suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City