Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 05:58 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
why anyone would want to move into a co-op building is beyond me. Too many rules and regulations. I had a friend go thru a similar situation. Her father was paying for the 1br apt on 26th street in cash and they still gave her the runaround and made her jump thru hoops for about 6 months. Only reason she got it was because the father threatened them with a lawsuit.

rofl:
Quote:
additionally, thandrayen is out thousands of dollars from fees and interest, and he'll probably have a tough time getting back the $445,000 he put away for the unit, as it would likely be flagged for money laundering.
double rofl:
Quote:
Thandrayen is a Berkeley College business student and native of the Republic of Mauritius, an island nation off the coast of Africa, who made his fortune in the refrigerator business and global real estate investments.
So somebody at 25 claims he made his "fortune in the refrigerator business and global real estate investments" decided to attend BERKELY COLLEGE?
I mean really?
Mr. Thandrayan had better tread carefully lest he wind up in the pokey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 06:32 AM

3 posts, read 3,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermerhorn View Post
Googling Mr. Thandrayen's name would all by itself have made the board want to reject him. Outrageous statements; links to music full of lyrics you wouldn't want your kids hearing; that kind of thing.

If that had been the board's sole reason for rejecting him, I don't think anyone could have argued with them.

At the time it seemed like another warning to the current generation of people in their 20s and 30s who let their "internet image" get out of control. The internet really is a "permanent record", and you have to watch what's posted about you and make sure not to post anything that might come back to haunt you.

Isn't this sort of lifestyle pretty much the norm nowadays for people in their mid-20's?
But yeah I agree. Keeping your online presence private is a lot more important than we think but it is getting harder and harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
He has a "top education"? What school? I thought I remembered him going to some school that lets in anyone who applies.
He actually already has a degree from a British University.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
rofl:

So somebody at 25 claims he made his "fortune in the refrigerator business and global real estate investments" decided to attend BERKELY COLLEGE?
I mean really?
Mr. Thandrayan had better tread carefully lest he wind up in the pokey.
I really fail to see how it is relevant seeing as it is about discrimination. Especially considering some board members explicitly stating they have an issue with his nationality.

And Kefir. Moving half a million across the globe and then back does rouse a lot of suspicion. It is not fun having your accounts frozen on the other side of the world, it'll take more than a phone call to straighten that kind of mess out.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:52 AM

167 posts, read 306,100 times
so if they never interviewed him, then how did they know he was African?

if they denied him without knowing he was African, then why does it matter that he was African? for the sake of sensation?

Old 04-06-2013, 12:27 PM

235 posts, read 373,985 times
This is the latest...

Goldwyn Thandrayen | 210 East 36th Street

Quote:
Aileen Grossmann, a board member, allegedly admitted in emails to a fellow board member that Thandrayen had the necessary funds to make the purchase but said she was uncomfortable with the fact that his funds were mostly held in Mauritius. “I would not consider any foreign accounts in a co-op sale package,†she said in the email, “especially when there is virtually no money in U.S. dollars and their entire portfolio is in some tiny little unknown country. It’s not like it’s in British pounds or Euro [sic] either.â€

Old 04-06-2013, 12:29 PM

235 posts, read 373,985 times
As you can see, it is all about where the money is coming from not about his race. If they would have mention his race in his face or an Email then is it a different story. I really think that this guy is using the Race Card in this case. Hopefully the Judge dismiss this nonsense.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:52 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokistic View Post
This is the latest...

Goldwyn Thandrayen | 210 East 36th Street

Aileen Grossmann, a board member, allegedly admitted in emails to a fellow board member that Thandrayen had the necessary funds to make the purchase but said she was uncomfortable with the fact that his funds were mostly held in Mauritius. “I would not consider any foreign accounts in a co-op sale package,†she said in the email, “especially when there is virtually no money in U.S. dollars and their entire portfolio is in some tiny little unknown country. It’s not like it’s in British pounds or Euro [sic] either.â€
So they are discriminating against the nationality of his money. I can definitely see money in foreign accounts as a problem. There are no guarantees when it comes to bank accounts in other countries. Fact is, he has nothing tying him down here. I think if he had moved more money to the US, there would be no issue. I can understand why he wouldn't want to do that, but that's the way life works.

Coops make everyone jump through hoops.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:25 PM

3 posts, read 3,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen. specific View Post
so if they never interviewed him, then how did they know he was African?

if they denied him without knowing he was African, then why does it matter that he was African? for the sake of sensation?
They knew he wasn't a US citizen and knew he was a Mauritian Citizen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokistic View Post
As you can see, it is all about where the money is coming from not about his race. If they would have mention his race in his face or an Email then is it a different story. I really think that this guy is using the Race Card in this case. Hopefully the Judge dismiss this nonsense.
Race has nothing to do with it... Nationality does.
Does money made in Africa, Europe or Asia spend differently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
So they are discriminating against the nationality of his money. I can definitely see money in foreign accounts as a problem. There are no guarantees when it comes to bank accounts in other countries. Fact is, he has nothing tying him down here. I think if he had moved more money to the US, there would be no issue. I can understand why he wouldn't want to do that, but that's the way life works.

Coops make everyone jump through hoops.
He moved the whole sum to the US to pay it off straight away. No loans. He also put up a whole years worth of dues in advance. He showed his credit history from Britain and his native country and they were impecable.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:02 PM

8,692 posts, read 11,078,805 times
I am sure there is a lot more backdrop to this story.

Maybe there is age discrimination at play here. He is 25, foreign and his asset is under heavy scruntiny. If I was part of the co-op board, it would raise flags. In my thinking foreign flagging is more about fraudulent documents is more common in certain countries.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:01 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,213 times
I said this back in Oct when this first came up (it's on page 2) and it's still true, only enhanced by this new information- he needed to put up several years of maintenance, not just 1, in a US bank account based on the distinct possibility that a co-op Board simply would not count any foreign funds.

The reason is simple - a co-op who has a guy welch on the maintenance cannot in theory get a lien on it against funds in a foreign bank.

Now let's say for arguments sake that the co-op's formal rule is 1 yr of maintenance post-closing and this guy met it by having $15k or whatever in the bank. The co-op could still have decided against him because:

1) tons of other tenants have far more than a year of maintenance in the bank just based on being conservative with their finances;
2) those who don't probably have jobs- something that makes the co-op feel more secure and something our Mauritian friend does not have.

No one knows this odd stuff about the NYC co-op world until they experience it first-hand. The real problem is our Mauritian friend had a bad broker who did not give him advice to exceed the Board's requirements with safety or if he didn't use a broker, a sh*tty listing agent.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:32 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,816,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I am sure there is a lot more backdrop to this story.

Maybe there is age discrimination at play here. He is 25, foreign and his asset is under heavy scruntiny. If I was part of the co-op board, it would raise flags. In my thinking foreign flagging is more about fraudulent documents is more common in certain countries.
except he paid EVERYTHING IN FULL already
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: