Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 05:56 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,726 times

Advertisements

If I were in Italy or Paris or Tokyo, I wouldn't look for an American restaurant. I would look for the local cuisine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
That's a really strange assumption to make -- that a Chinese person visiting from China would not want to eat in any restaurant in Flushing.

But if you feel you want to assume that, it's ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 06:09 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
If I were in Italy or Paris or Tokyo, I wouldn't look for an American restaurant. I would look for the local cuisine.
Yes, but if you're a Chinese person from China staying in Flushing, it would make sense to find the best Chinese restaurants around and eat in them. So IMHO it makes no sense to assume a Chinese person won't want to look for good Chinese food -- especially if they are staying in a neighborhood full of really good Chinese restaurants. Also, sometimes people get homesick for their own food and don't want foreign food the whole time.

I am applying what I know about Chinese travellers (to Europe) from an article I read in the New Yorker. Of course it may not be true of every Chinese visitor's experience or interest, but it seemed to me they weren't too happy with the prospect of eating western breakfasts every day, and they did go to Chinese restaurants in Europe.

Quote:
The boat docked [along the Seine in Paris] and we headed to dinner, walking through the crowds and din of the city for the first time. Karen hugged Handy’s arm, their heads swivelling. We followed Li into a small Chinese storefront, down a flight of stairs, and into a hot, claustrophobic hallway flanked by windowless rooms jammed with Chinese diners. It was a hive of activity invisible from the street, a parallel Paris. There were no empty seats, so Li motioned for us to continue out the back door, where we turned left and entered a second restaurant, also Chinese. Down another staircase, into another windowless room, where dishes arrived: pork braised in brown sauce, bok choy, egg-drop soup, spicy chicken
Read more Chinese Citizens on Tour in Europe : The New Yorker

Old 10-25-2012, 06:16 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,726 times
In the same way that I feel sorry for Americans in Europe eating American, or French people in Latin America eating French, I would feel sorry for Chinese people in America seeking Chinese. In Anne Tyler's The Accidental Tourist, Macon Leary writes guidebooks for people who want to feel that they never left home. Dommage. Que lastima.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Yes, but if you're a Chinese person from China staying in Flushing, it would make sense to find the best Chinese restaurants around and eat in them. So IMHO it makes no sense to assume a Chinese person won't want to look for good Chinese food -- especially if they are staying in a neighborhood full of really good Chinese restaurants. Also, sometimes people get homesick for their own food and don't want foreign food the whole time.

I am applying what I know about Chinese travellers (to Europe) from an article I read in the New Yorker. Of course it may not be true of every Chinese visitor's experience or interest, but it seemed to me they weren't too happy with the prospect of eating western breakfasts every day, and they did go to Chinese restaurants in Europe.

Read more Chinese Citizens on Tour in Europe : The New Yorker

Old 10-25-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
In the same way that I feel sorry for Americans in Europe eating American, or French people in Latin America eating French, I would feel sorry for Chinese people in America seeking Chinese. In Anne Tyler's The Accidental Tourist, Macon Leary writes guidebooks for people who want to feel that they never left home. Dommage. Que lastima.
Well, I would feel sorry for anyone who stayed in Flushing for a week and didn't at least attempt to eat at one of the best Chinese restaurants there -- no matter what country they're coming from.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:32 PM

115 posts, read 206,437 times
lol guys believe it or not, I am Cuban-American (meaning of MeiGuo Guba Ren) but I have a love for Chinese language and culture, as well as Japanese, and yes I would consider eating anywhere in Chinatown

Old 10-25-2012, 06:41 PM

Then try this link for restaurants in Flushing Serious Eats: New York: Queens: Flushing

Also, a fun spot if you have a few hours and are into jazz is the Louis Armstrong House in Corona, Queens
Louis Armstrong House Museum - Visiting
Eat amazing tacos not too far from there at Tortilleria Nixtamal.

Also, yelp.com is a great resource for finding restaurants and stuff to do in your immediate vicinity.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:47 PM

55 posts, read 127,142 times
There's a botanical garden and art museum around northern Queens, but the Bronx and Brooklyn gardens are better, and Manhattan has better museums.

If you're into contemporary art, Long Island City, Queens has some interesting stuff.
MOMA PS1 - MoMA PS1
Sculpture Center - SculptureCenter Home
Noguchi Museum - Home | The Noguchi Museum
F. Landau Art - Fisher Landau Center for Art | On View

Jackson Heights is great for food. My favorite at least.
Jackson Heights Restaurants | Urbanspoon

Old 10-25-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicewray View Post
Jackson Heights is great for food. My favorite at least.
Jackson Heights Restaurants | Urbanspoon
I like two Argentinian places - La Fusta and La Cabana

Argentinian Queens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City