Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:18 PM

4 posts, read 8,154 times

Advertisements

I'm in college right now and getting my associates degree in General Studies, my question is to anyone who lives in NYC, what type of job they have and a range of there income. Reason why I ask? Is because someday I would like to move to NYC and enjoy the life they live on TV, going to museums and sport games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 11:49 PM

9 posts, read 15,230 times
LOL, wut? What does visiting museums and sport games have to do with your income? Although I would agree that it's likely not cheap to get great seats, income has nothing to do with what you've stated. Unless you want to tie socio-economic status and cultural richness or lack thereof, but that's a whole other story.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:42 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,576,209 times
ugghhhghh this reminds me of when people ask at parties "what do you do?" I never ask that because while I might sometimes wonder what a person does, I let them tell me if they want to and I never expect them to volunteer such information in less than a month, if I'm even still in contact with them at that point. sorry- rant over

Old 10-30-2012, 01:03 AM

4 posts, read 8,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krovosis View Post
LOL, wut? What does visiting museums and sport games have to do with your income? Although I would agree that it's likely not cheap to get great seats, income has nothing to do with what you've stated. Unless you want to tie socio-economic status and cultural richness or lack thereof, but that's a whole other story.
No use going to NY if I can't enjoy the social things to do... those were just examples. I want to be able to move to NY with a career set in mind and be able to afford a healthy lifestyle.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:04 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,059,949 times
Become a doctor or a dentist.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:28 AM

206 posts, read 569,152 times
Quote:
I'm in college right now and getting my associates degree in General Studies
That should get you into the "Projects" of your choice.

Please do a search on this site for "Projects" to view your future NY life style.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:29 AM

241 posts, read 372,167 times
I'm a MI-6 spy.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:35 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,787,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcnh View Post
I'm in college right now and getting my associates degree in General Studies, my question is to anyone who lives in NYC, what type of job they have and a range of there income. Reason why I ask? Is because someday I would like to move to NYC and enjoy the life they live on TV, going to museums and sport games.
"General Studies"? WTF is that? My Prep school High School had such a track, it was where they dumped all the dummies not capable for the college track.

You know, Earth Science rather than Biology and/or Chemistry.

Algerba in HIGH SCHOOL rather than Geometry or Trig.

You want to live in NYC, then you need to 4.0 all your classes and and average!

Take the xtra classes to get you at an advanced level, so you will be accepted at a TOP university!!

Again, ace you classes, 4.0, choose a major and field of study which is in demand in NYC and is VERY lucrative. After your Junior year of superlative performance, apply and be accepted as an "Intern" at a top firm in the area of study you have chosen

In your Senior year, perform equally superlatively, and get anogher Internship.

In your Junior and Senior year prepare and attend on campus recruitment sessions.

Oh! I forgot to mention find a mentor ASAP! A professor impressed with your effort, performance and intellect. Develop a personal relationship. This mentor will be instrumental in aiding your efforts at securing a good internship. The mentor will also be instrumental in guiding your college career and introducing you to people in business who matterr in establishing your career.

Consider an advanced degree. Depending upon your chosen field either immediately after undergrad school, and/or a couple years after you enter the workforce.

In either case you want to be recruited into a top firm's training program.

You want to live the "TV" life the you MUST earn a significant income. You MUST be prepared to do whatever it takes to be the VERY best!!

TV isn't real, and you are fantasizing w/o knowing reality. What I've given you is very real advice.

A degree from Pooduck University dosen't mean anything. A Junior College degree isn't worth more than a High School diploma, unless you happen to obtain some specialized training; and most of those type of jobs, aren't found in NYC. Computerized machine operators don't live in Manhattan!

Quote:
No use going to NY if I can't enjoy the social things to do... those were just examples. I want to be able to move to NY with a career set in mind and be able to afford a healthy lifestyle.
Home : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

What is a "healthy" lifestyle?

Old 11-01-2012, 08:37 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,710,384 times
Quote:
one i don't like. that's what type of job i have!

also, general studies is just a waste of money and time. at least if you want to make good money after you get done spending money on college.

An associates degree is pretty much useless as well. Just about every job now requires a bachelors degree.

The bachelors degree is the new high school diploma.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:33 PM

13,440 posts, read 15,387,274 times
As a former NYer, I kind of chuckle at the responses to topics like these. While the OP has stars in his/her eyes, some of the responses are equally as head-shaking. You can 'make it' in NY with a two year degree, or even no degree. You can have a nice/decent lifestyle on a middle classed salary. Much of NYC is comprised of middle classed people. Manhattan isn't the end all be all..or maybe it is for transplants. I wasn't Gordon Gekko but I sure lived nicely back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City