Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 04:04 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,317,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
Not necessarily. It's not like people were partying, just wanted to be among other people. If there's no way to work or school, nothing going on, why wouldn't people go to the bar and watch a game or something/talk with neighbors? Or is going to bars only a hipster/yuppie thing?

Seems like anyone who does anything (or doesn't do anything) is branded a hipster these days.
Couldn't agree more. Apparently white hipsters, yuppies, and "new residents" are the only people that eat in restaurants in Bed Stuy. That sure is news to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 04:11 PM

1,487 posts, read 2,227,654 times
I was in SF for Loma Prieta and the same thing happened.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:12 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,598,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Sprigged:. View Post
This is the insensitive part which earns the hipster/yuppie label.

You aren't on the news because nobody cares. People are suffering, and you want them to film your merriment in a bar? Really?
This is what I was referring to.

The same was in my neighborhood and when people were out, they were mainly stocking up on food, or going to the restaurants. But by no means are the bars here packed.

And no, people drinking in a bar while a tragedy continues to unfold is in no way news worthy. Only someone who has no empathy would think it would be.

Call me crazy but I would sooner find a way to volunteer or try to donate my money to the Red Cross instead of spending it on alcohol. (And yes I am doing both, before anyone asks).

Old 10-31-2012, 04:16 PM

241 posts, read 372,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post

The same was in my neighborhood and when people were out, they were mainly stocking up on food, or going to the restaurants. But by no means are the bars here packed.

And no, people drinking in a bar while a tragedy continues to unfold is in no way news worthy. Only someone who has no empathy would think it would be.

Call me crazy but I would sooner find a way to volunteer or try to donate my money to the Red Cross instead of spending it on alcohol. (And yes I am doing both, before anyone asks).
This!

Thank you Miss J. People are unbelievable.

Next time you wonder why people can't stand hipsters and yuppies? THIS IS WHY.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:18 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,670,147 times
Meh.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:18 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,892,239 times
Quote:

Agreed. Definitely not news worthy.
Who TF cares that the bars were full?
There's more pressing matters right now that people wanna know about, for example, when the subways will be running again.

But again; He said 'nabe'. That right there is a pretty good hint of where he's coming from.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:19 PM

446 posts, read 993,992 times
Quote:

You don't have any idea how these so-called hipsters are spending their money. It's really none of anyone's business. A lot of local bars and restaurants have received a nice boost these past few days, that puts money into the pockets of everyday, hard working people. Live and let live.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:20 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,051,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
Why is there no coverage of this on the news?
There is. NY Times, in fact. Oct. 30, 2012

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/01/ny...the-storm.html

Quote:
“I just biked down from Hell’s Kitchen, and it is like a Friday night up there,” said Chris Degner, who lives in TriBeCa. “And then you get down here and it is like entering a zombie movie.”

He had been at a bar in Midtown called Valhalla. He struggled to describe what it was like to go from a “pub that is packed elbow to elbow” to streets where people are scrambling to find a way to find spare candles and were worried about locating a bag of ice.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:20 PM

241 posts, read 372,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
You don't have any idea how these so-called hipsters are spending their money. It's really none of anyone's business. A lot of local bars and restaurants have received a nice boost these past few days, that puts money into the pockets of everyday, hard working people. Live and let live.
Call the news and see if they send a crew.

My guess...no.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:22 PM

446 posts, read 993,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Sprigged:. View Post
Call the news and see if the send a crew.

My guess...no.
I'm with you on that part. A news team is not necessary. But you went from disagreeing about the news coverage to lambasting people who are at a bar during a hurricane.

Anyway, I'm not interested in going back and forth about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City