Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should The NYC Marathon Be Held This Weekend
Yes 10 14.93%
No 56 83.58%
No opinion 1 1.49%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 12:31 PM

947 posts, read 1,402,193 times

Advertisements

Re Bloomberg's support for holding the marathon: to paraphrase everybody's favorite President, George W.

"Heckuva job, Bloomie, heckuva job."

Old 11-02-2012, 12:33 PM

655 posts, read 1,992,370 times
I went to it last year and watched from Long Island City because a few friends were running and I was hoping to see them. While it was a tremendously cool and festive vibe, it's absurd that the city insists this is going on. I saw the Mayor invoked Giuliani for keeping it after Sept. 11, but one thing he neglected to say was that the Marathon was two months after the fact and not six days. Ironic thing is that though it's a big event, it took a major storm and controversy to be talking about it this extensively.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:49 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I find it odd that you would go so far as to use the word "despise" (I assume that is what you meant to type) when describing Bloomy. He is literally the driving force behind all of the yuppie spaceships that pop up like cancer all over Brooklyn
Yes I meant despise, I'm 96% sure that's what I typed in but auto-correct did it's magic!

But spare me your tears, he isn't the driving force behind Brooklyn's developments. Sure he'll quickly approve anything that'll make him money but I don't see that as a negative, in some cases. This marathon is just one of those moments where he should be a little more human, imo just wait 2 weeks or so. I'm ALL for developments in places that's had a history of nothing or little progression/stagnant I.E Atlantic Yards, City Point, etc. These types of large developments were bound to happen eventually, especially in Brooklyn. People then see all developments and retail additions as 'too. . . Manhattan', which is bogus because Brooklyn has always been a dense, diverse place & still is. BK, for it's size is truly lacking in retail as it is. It'll will never be Manhattan (thankfully) but BK will continue to expand and build more high-rises & towers than we ever thought, it's life and history and I don't think that's a problem. You sound so moody with developments sometimes to be honest. Which developments, if you know of any, that you approve of and why? I'd like to know, regardless of the borough.

I despise Bloomberg as a person, he's uptight, disrespectful and just blah. But as a business man he's phenomenal and you'd be crazy to think or say otherwise. Do I support him though? No.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:55 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,661 times
Same reply-----

The Marathon should be postponed period,point blank. I have yet to hear one good reason as to why the race should proceed.

I'm ashamed to hear fellow Marathon runners are upset the hotels with not honor there hotel reservations-- as people without homes occupy them. Shelter for fellow man should always take precedence over extracurricular activities; period!

Old 11-02-2012, 02:22 PM

151 posts, read 183,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
Same reply-----

The Marathon should be postponed period,point blank. I have yet to hear one good reason as to why the race should proceed.

I'm ashamed to hear fellow Marathon runners are upset the hotels with not honor there hotel reservations-- as people without homes occupy them. Shelter for fellow man should always take precedence over extracurricular activities; period!
Spamming much? Please don't copy and paste the same reply. We got your point the first time.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:13 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
BREAKING NEWS - MARATHON HAS BEEN CANCELED ACCORDING TO CNBC. Robyn

Old 11-02-2012, 03:19 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where is W? View Post
Spamming much? Please don't copy and paste the same reply. We got your point the first time.
If my reply is the same, I will voice or type so. You can clearly look over my post. Have a good weekend.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:12 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I'm glad its canx. Let them have it when things settle down. There is just way to much to take care of in the area right now.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:51 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I too am glad it is cancelled. I do however feel for the runners that have come here from other countries and now have to go back, they (Bloomberg) should have had more fore thought and had it cancelled sooner so the runners from abroad did not have to spend their money on airline tickets, and the like.

Now, if the money generated from the marathon was given to all the victims of this horrific hurricane for relief, maybe that would have swayed people to let the marathon happen, but that was not the case.

again, I am glad it is cancelled.

and this is where I would stick my tongue out.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:11 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Race 2 Recover
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City