Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 05:03 PM

19 posts, read 26,902 times

Advertisements

I am a grad student working on a joint degree ( I am getting both my MBA and my JD). I was recently accepted into Goldman Sachs summer internship program for investment banking. I am needing advice on if I decide to take a position after I get my MBA with Goldman Sachs what kind of apartment/ living could I expect to have. This is the discussion I am having with my wife. We have two children and biggest deal breaker is going to be the quality of life for my children. Any advice that you can give me will be greatly appericated. Also, the base salary for a first year associate at Goldman Sachs is 220k a year not including any bonuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 05:50 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
You've got a ticket to riches, and you're questioning it???

The real question is what better alternatives do you have?

I doubt there are better, if your purpose is making money and specifically to get rich!

A Goldman Sachs internship and the prospect of a job offer, I've known people who would shed blood to be in your position.

Look for a rental in Brooklyn, Park Slope, Cobble Hill and the like. Great urban family friendly upscale neighborhoods; or if you are more suburban oriented look into Essex County in New Jersey.

Take the job, work really hard and smart! In two or three years, you can buy your dream house/apartment with that bonus money!!

Watch out for that "Gifthorse" it might snap your head off if you look too deeply!

Old 11-01-2012, 05:58 PM

420 posts, read 823,615 times
You can rent anywhere and soon money will be of no concern, your kids will get excellent education, and you're entering the "good" life. Put your hard work and your degrees to work and real the benefits!

Old 11-01-2012, 07:07 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,452 times
40x rule means $5500 a month- that will get you a two-bedroom in anything in Brooklyn and any non-luxury condo building in the downturn neighborhoods. Stay close to BPC- you would be working insane hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City